+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Pregnant on a Tourist Visa

Aarthid9

Jan 3, 2017
Hi, I have a tourist visa and have applied for the Canadian PR. I recently married a Canadian and settled here since the last 6 months. We plan to get pregnant soon. I would like to understand what my options are to get an insurance that would be suitable for expenses related to pregnancy. I currently do not have any insurance in place as I am on visit. Can anyone give me a suggestion on the same? Thank you.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Aarthid9 said:
Hi, I have a tourist visa and have applied for the Canadian PR. I recently married a Canadian and settled here since the last 6 months. We plan to get pregnant soon. I would like to understand what my options are to get an insurance that would be suitable for expenses related to pregnancy. I currently do not have any insurance in place as I am on visit. Can anyone give me a suggestion on the same? Thank you.
you are in quite tricky situation. First question no visit visa allow you stay for more than 06 months, its illegal to settle in canada without proper visa which might make you inadmissible for proper insurance.

You Need to exit and come back. Below is insurance company in BC which can guide you more

https://arbetovinsurance.com/pregnancy-insurance-for-visitors-to-canada/

Normally no insurance will cover pregnancy cost but they can cover any complexity in pregnancy

Please, note that Manulife pregnancy complications insurance is ONLY available up to the 31st week of a pregnancy period and DOES NOT include delivery or pre-natal care coverage.

If the person to be insured is already pregnant, Visitors to Canada insurance plan from Manulife will cover the costs of the following pregnancy related complications:

– Bleedings
– Abdominal pain
– Miscarriage
– Premature birth

Good Luck
Syed B

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Aarthid9 said:
What province are you in?

badar14 said:
you are in quite tricky situation. First question no visit visa allow you stay for more than 06 months, its illegal to settle in canada without proper visa which might make you inadmissible for proper insurance.

You Need to exit and come back. Below is insurance company in BC which can guide you more
Totally wrong. It is a very simple process for a person to apply to extend their stay as a visitor. With a PR app in process, OP will have no issues extending status. Many people stay here for years as visitors, extending their status as needed.

There is absolutely no need for OP to leave Canada.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
What province are you in?

Totally wrong. It is a very simple process for a person to apply to extend their stay as a visitor. With a PR app in process, OP will have no issues extending status. Many people stay here for years as visitors, extending their status as needed.

There is absolutely no need for OP to leave Canada.
Thanks for Correction in term of extension but still insurance policy is harder to get.

Aarthid9

Jan 3, 2017
I'm based in Toronto, Ontario. I do have a US tourist visa as well. So I travel in and out of the country as I do have family in the US. The insurance part sure is a bummer though. Getting a PR, according to my lawyer takes about 19 months. It is scary to think that I would need to wait that long to get pregnant - and only because I have no insurance coverage.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Aarthid9 said:
I'm based in Toronto, Ontario. I do have a US tourist visa as well. So I travel in and out of the country as I do have family in the US. The insurance part sure is a bummer though. Getting a PR, according to my lawyer takes about 19 months. It is scary to think that I would need to wait that long to get pregnant - and only because I have no insurance coverage.
None of Insurance company will cover cost of regular delivery in canada. You have to bear that expense (Which can be between 3K to 7k) from your own pocket however they will cover any complexity.

Good Luck
S

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Aarthid9 said:
The sponsorship process generally takes about a year or less, depending on where you are from and how you apply.

Look into Ontario midwives. They offer free care to all pregnant woman regardless of status. You would still be responsible for certain costs and if you end up with complications, it could still get very expensive. It can be very hard to find a midwife in Ontario because they are so in-demand.