+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting PR Card While in US

ibanerje

Jul 4, 2007
Hi,

I recently got my Canadian Permanent Residentship. I am currently working in the US on H1. I don't think I can move to Canada for good within the time that is available to me to land. I would prefer doing that a year or two down the line. Right now I just want to land and then come back to the US.

I looked at the cic.gc.ca site and found out that after landing, I would need a PR Card to re-enter Canada. However, it also states that a person has to be physically in Canada to apply for a PR Card. Does that mean "physically in Canada at the time of applying" or "physically in Canada till such time that the PR Card is issued"?

Can I give the address of a friend and come back to the US within a week?

Will the Immigration Officers be interested in knowing if I plan to come back to the US?

In case they do not let me apply for a PR Card right away, what are my options when I eventually decide to go back to Canada for good. The temporary travel document does not seem to be an option, as it mentions certain residency requirements which I do not meet.

Any help is appreciated.

Another question related to funds. Can I show my Wells Fargo monthly statements for a few months prior to my landing date as a proof of funds?

A third question related to the mechanism of entry. For people coming back to the US, does it make any difference whether you fly or go by road in a rental car?

Thanks in advance to everyone kind enough to respond.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You can give a friend's address to the officer when you land or you can tell them you don't have an address yet and then submit your friend's address on CIC's website once you return to the US. Your Permanent Residence Card will then be mailed to that address in about a month. The officer can ask you anything they want, but all that is relevant is that you have your Confirmation of Permanent Residence Paperwork, a passport with an unexpired visa and proof of landing funds(An ATM receipt from a US bank on the day of landing worked for me). Your intention of returning to the US should not in any way impede your landing. Once you are landed, you have all the rights of a Canadian citizen, which includes the freedom to travel.

When I landed the only questions the officer asked were: Do you have any additional dependents that are not listed on the COPR? And have you ever been convicted of a crime? That was it. Congratulations, welcome to Canada. Good Luck!