+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting PR again after first PR is expired based on same spouse sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dk26 said:
he got pr for 2 years as conditional when he applied for spouse pr visa. His PR is already expired and living with his canadian citizen spouse in USA. He or his spouse is not working for any Canadian firm but he works for IT firm based on USA.
what could be possible ?
Are you sure that his PR card was only valid for 2 years? That would be the first one I heard of.

Anyway, does not matter. Living with a Canadian citizen spouse, he still meets the residency obligation and can apply for a PR travel document in order to travel to Canada or can travel to Canada in a private car with his expired card. It is not necessary to work for a Canadian employer.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dk26 said:
he got pr for 2 years as conditional when he applied for spouse pr visa. His PR is already expired and living with his canadian citizen spouse in USA. He or his spouse is not working for any Canadian firm but he works for IT firm based on USA.
what could be possible ?
Seriously, for the last time, there is no such thing as "2 year PR". PR status doesn't expire; PR cards expire but that does not reflect on the validity of PR status.

I've explained what Condition 51 is and posted the link to the IRCC website explaining about the Residency Obligation. You really need to actually follow up on the information provided and do your own research.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Seriously, for the last time, there is no such thing as "2 year PR". PR status doesn't expire; PR cards expire but that does not reflect on the validity of PR status.

I've explained what Condition 51 is and posted the link to the IRCC website explaining about the Residency Obligation. You really need to actually follow up on the information provided and do your own research.
Second that. There is no point replying to someone when they don't read the replies.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ramkris said:
Issuance of five year and one year validity cards after a referral to a CIC office
You should delete your post. It has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

Dk26

Star Member
Feb 26, 2016
sorry guys for late reply from me because i have to ask my friend every time for his situation and reply back to you so it takes time.
Let me correct here. He got 5 year PR but PR Card validation is expired 2 years back and he is staying with his Canadian citizen spouse in USA. now he wants to go back to canada and settle down in canada but will he be able to renew his pr card without any issue in this case?

I m no aware of Canadian visa or PR policy.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Dk26 said:
sorry guys for late reply from me because i have to ask my friend every time for his situation and reply back to you so it takes time.
Let me correct here. He got 5 year PR but PR Card validation is expired 2 years back and he is staying with his Canadian citizen spouse in USA. now he wants to go back to canada and settle down in canada but will he be able to renew his pr card without any issue in this case?

Your friend is eligible to renew the PR card as he was staying outside Canada with his Canadian spouse:

Here is the detailed information as per the following links:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=10

From USA, he can simply apply for a travel document and come back to Canada and then apply to get a replacement PR card:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=605&top=10

Once he is in Canada, use the following link to apply for PR card:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dk26 said:

Like you have been told before, if he got a 5 year PR card 3 years ago, it's still valid for another 2 years. There is no PR card validation. I don't even know what you mean by that. Your friend seems to be very confused about the status he applied for and how it works.

As for meeting the RO, he does because he's staying outside Canada with a Canadian citizen spouse.

As for condition 51, if he even has it on there, again, it's automatically removed after 2 years of being PR as long as nobody has complained about him. Again, Canada is not the US. The US issues a 2 year green card to spouses and makes them apply to lift the condition in order to remain PR. In Canada, the condition is lifted automatically after 2 years unless the person is under investigation. The purpose of condition 51 was to battle marriage fraud and so if that is the case, the sponsor can report their spouse to immigration and they will be investigated and could lose their PR. However, if nobody reports anything to immigration, the condition is removed automatically once the 2 years have passed.