+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting PGWP after being part gime studdnt for last 2 sems

Desiguy

Jan 14, 2018
Hi there,
I am doing Mechanical engineering program for 2 years. I failed in 1 course in second sem. And I extended my study permit to do it after my last sem. Unfortunately, I missed one exam in last sem and now I have to do it again. But that course is not available now and it is available in summer. So, I will now be part time for 2 sems. Can anyone tell me if I am still eligible for pgwp after being part time student for last 2 sem?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Most likely your PGWP will be refused. If you are part time in your last semester, that's not an issue for PGWP issuance. If you are part time for more than one semester, that will most likely result in your PGWP being refused. I would recommend you take additional courses (even though you don't need them) to make sure you are a full time student in your last semester.

Cherry15

Jan 7, 2018
Most likely your PGWP will be refused. If you are part time in your last semester, that's not an issue for PGWP issuance. If you are part time for more than one semester, that will most likely result in your PGWP being refused. I would recommend you take additional courses (even though you don't need them) to make sure you are a full time student in your last semester.
Hello scylla,

I need some info regarding part time studies in last semester.

Actually, the is my sister’s case.
She came to canada on 2 year program and we switched her to 3 year prgm but bcz of some issues we r thinking of switching it back to 2 years. Right now, she is in her 4 sem and college told her in order to grduate with 2 year program u have to finish one more semester and course gonna be part time.
So, my question is will be gonna be in trouble at the time of applying for PGWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello scylla,

I need some info regarding part time studies in last semester.

Actually, the is my sister’s case.
She came to canada on 2 year program and we switched her to 3 year prgm but bcz of some issues we r thinking of switching it back to 2 years. Right now, she is in her 4 sem and college told her in order to grduate with 2 year program u have to finish one more semester and course gonna be part time.
So, my question is will be gonna be in trouble at the time of applying for PGWP.
It's fine if she is part time her last semester.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks @scylla for instant reply. Thing is she’s taking one failed subject in that last semester.

You think she’s still ok in this case?

Thanks
As long as she is only part time in one semester (and not part time for two semesters) - there should be no issues getting a PGWP. You can be part time in your last semester and still be approved for a PGWP.

ANKIT KUNDLU

Dec 15, 2016
As long as she is only part time in one semester (and not part time for two semesters) - there should be no issues getting a PGWP. You can be part time in your last semester and still be approved for a PGWP.
Hello,
My situation is kind of same.
I was part time for only one semester during my 2 yrs program (since I failed in one subject). I did not worked at all when I was part time. Now my program have summer break which is unofficial for me cos I came in JAN 2017, and official break for one who came in SEP 2017. Since no subjects are available at all for my program this summer, I will make sure To not to work at all during this unofficial break. I will then complete my 2 full time semesters after this Summer 2018 and will graduate in 2019 April. I was supposed to be part time twice during my course but I added few electives subjects and hence I maintained my full time status. In the sense I will finish 5 full time sesmesters with one part time sem and one unofficial summer break due to unavailability if subjects( even for those who came in SEP 2017). Thank you

Aneep Kumar

Mar 14, 2018
Ottawa
You can take more than 2 sems part time only if you are Full time in another Program. Then, your status will be counted as full time. Because no-one can be full time at same time. So enjoy.

jessica900

Jul 5, 2017
Ontario
Category........
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
Nomination.....
OINP
AOR Received.
25-03-2017
Med's Request
01-03-2018/ 12-03-2018
Med's Done....
26-03-2018
Passport Req..
WAITING!
Hello,
My situation is kind of same.
I was part time for only one semester during my 2 yrs program (since I failed in one subject). I did not worked at all when I was part time. Now my program have summer break which is unofficial for me cos I came in JAN 2017, and official break for one who came in SEP 2017. Since no subjects are available at all for my program this summer, I will make sure To not to work at all during this unofficial break. I will then complete my 2 full time semesters after this Summer 2018 and will graduate in 2019 April. I was supposed to be part time twice during my course but I added few electives subjects and hence I maintained my full time status. In the sense I will finish 5 full time sesmesters with one part time sem and one unofficial summer break due to unavailability if subjects( even for those who came in SEP 2017). Thank you
I know its kind of late to ask but did you get your PGWP?

Jorge Anda

Dec 7, 2018
Hi there.

I am an international student in a two year program. I'm finishing the second semester. My question is, if I fail a course, would I still be eligible to apply for a PGWP?

Aneep Kumar

Mar 14, 2018
Ottawa
Hi there.

I am an international student in a two year program. I'm finishing the second semester. My question is, if I fail a course, would I still be eligible to apply for a PGWP?
Yes you are, as long as you maintain full time status you can. For example, jf you fail in a course in first semester and retaking this same course in second semester, when you have full time status in second semester then you are going part time for first sem not in second where you are a full time student. Thats fine.