+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting permanent residency under charitable work

brb03

Jan 18, 2012
I've just received my contract from a charitable organization in Canada and I'm in the process of applying work permit. Is it possible to get a permanent residency in Canada under charitable work? How many years do I need to work before applying PR if this is possible? By the way, if I'll get my visa here in UK, Is it okay to visit my home country before going to start working in Canada? I really appreciate if someone could help me with this. Thanks! ;) ;) ;)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You may qualify for Canadian Experience Class once you have completed two years of full time paid work in Canada (if your job is classified as skilled). More details are provided here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp

Yes - you can visit your home country first.

brb03

Jan 18, 2012
Thanks scylla. I've heard that I will only get my Temporary Resident Visa here in UK and the work permit will be given in Canada. If so, is there a chance that the immigration from my home country (Philippines), will hold my departure if I still don't have my work permit? My brother had a hard time leaving because he couldn't provide work permit and he only got the visa going to Singapore. Anyway, I just want to spend some time with my daughter in the Philippines before working. I'm just scared that they might hold my departure.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
brb03 said:
Thanks scylla. I've heard that I will only get my Temporary Resident Visa here in UK and the work permit will be given in Canada. If so, is there a chance that the immigration from my home country (Philippines), will hold my departure if I still don't have my work permit? My brother had a hard time leaving because he couldn't provide work permit and he only got the visa going to Singapore. Anyway, I just want to spend some time with my daughter in the Philippines before working. I'm just scared that they might hold my departure.
I see what you're asking now... I thought you were asking if Canada would have any issues with you flying in from a country other than the UK (Canada won't care where you're coming from).

Now that I understand what you're asking, I have no idea if the Philippines might hold your departure. Hopefully someone else will be able to comment.

loser40

Feb 6, 2012
brb03 said:
I've just received my contract from a charitable organization in Canada and I'm in the process of applying work permit. Is it possible to get a permanent residency in Canada under charitable work? How many years do I need to work before applying PR if this is possible? By the way, if I'll get my visa here in UK, Is it okay to visit my home country before going to start working in Canada? I really appreciate if someone could help me with this. Thanks! ;) ;) ;)
Congratulations with the charity work contract - where/how did you find out about it? Do you have a link ?...or PM me the info if you prefer :)

BTW, I assume you have a lot of money to house and feed yourself while you do unpaid charity work in Canada !

TIA,

Mark.