+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Ontario Health card while Inland sponsorship in process

sandhu_heera_preet

Star Member
Jul 30, 2016
Hello Members
I am PR in Canada. My wife applied Sponsorship in Canada Class. Her Ontario health card is expiring in July 2021 because her Open work permit expiring on the same date.
My question is at what stage of sponsorship application she will be eligible to extend her Ontario Health Card?
TIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Members
I am PR in Canada. My wife applied Sponsorship in Canada Class. Her Ontario health card is expiring in July 2021 because her Open work permit expiring on the same date.
My question is at what stage of sponsorship application she will be eligible to extend her Ontario Health Card?
TIA
Is she currently working? Will she be working in July/August? She could apply for BOWP. You should be posting under CEC.

sandhu_heera_preet

Star Member
Jul 30, 2016
Is she currently working? Will she be working in July/August? She could apply for BOWP. You should be posting under CEC.
no she will not work for next 1 year. BTW I applied her BOWP along with sponsorship application. There is a stage in sponsorship application when we can show 1 documents to service ontario and they extend out health card

bian07

May 19, 2017
She will be eligible if she either

1) has a work permit + full time job that will be for at least 6 months

Or

2) is approved in principle which happens towards the end of the whole process.

sandhu_heera_preet

Star Member
Jul 30, 2016
She will be eligible if she either

1) has a work permit + full time job that will be for at least 6 months

Or

2) is approved in principle which happens towards the end of the whole process.
Can health card be issued beyond validity of work permit? Her work permit is expiring this july

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
no she will not work for next 1 year. BTW I applied her BOWP along with sponsorship application. There is a stage in sponsorship application when we can show 1 documents to service ontario and they extend out health card
Think you mean you applied for OWP with sponsorship. If she isn’t working for at least 6 months she doesn’t qualify for ohip until she receives AIP which is right before DM.

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Think you mean you applied for OWP with sponsorship. If she isn’t working for at least 6 months she doesn’t qualify for ohip until she receives AIP which is right before DM.
Do outland applications get AIP as well? I'm planning on entering Canada as a visitor in July. Perhaps it will be close to DM by then (September 2020 applicant).

sandhu_heera_preet

Star Member
Jul 30, 2016
Not unless she can prove she will be working for the next 6 months
Actually, my wife has Ontario health card which is expiring on 24th July 2021 as her OWP expiring on same date. she is pregnant and her due date is 28th July 2021. I applied her Sponsorship In Canada application recently along with OWP application. I know her AIP will come almost at the end of PR process and will take 6-7 month for OWP. i am looking for any way to extend her ontario health card. because if she gives birth after 24th July it will be very expensive as her health card will be expired.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Actually, my wife has Ontario health card which is expiring on 24th July 2021 as her OWP expiring on same date. she is pregnant and her due date is 28th July 2021. I applied her Sponsorship In Canada application recently along with OWP application. I know her AIP will come almost at the end of PR process and will take 6-7 month for OWP. i am looking for any way to extend her ontario health card. because if she gives birth after 24th July it will be very expensive as her health card will be expired.
No way I see that she can extend her OHIP but you should verify with OHIP. Would also warn you that if she isn’t working she also won’t receive maternity benefits even when she gets the OWP. It’s unfortunate but probably something you should have looked into before considering pregnancy. Hospitals usually offer payment plans.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Start saving up.... And do not do silly things to try to make sure child is born before her health card expires. If she suffers from any health condition because of an earlier child birth, OHIP will not cover anything after July 24. Since you just sent in your spousal sponsorship applicantion, I don't see it getting AIP in less than 3 months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do outland applications get AIP as well? I'm planning on entering Canada as a visitor in July. Perhaps it will be close to DM by then (September 2020 applicant).
No - outland applicants do not get AIP.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Hello Members
Don't want to raise an unecessary issue, but I would myself be concerned that despite the card, OHIP could come after you even if birth happened before the expiry if she never met the requirements in the first place.

The requirements are the following:

Temporary Foreign Workers
Closed and Open Work Permits
Temporary foreign workers who hold a valid work permit may be eligible for OHIP coverage. The worker must be employed full-time for an employer in Ontario for a minimum of 6 months and :

• Maintain their primary place of residence in Ontario; and
  • Be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period, and
  • Be physically present in Ontario for 153 of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province

If you got OHIP card based on the assumption that she would work 6 months, but actually never did, I feel you don't qualify for coverage irrespective of the date on your card and OHIP could ask for repayment.

Am I wrong in being concerned about that? To me it is similar to not being in the country for the period required to qualify, even if the person has a valid card, does not mean he actually qualifies and therefore claims are at risk of having to be repaid.

I would wait for others to comment and maybe reach out to 1 800 268-1154 to ensure that you are currently eligible and at no risk of having to repay significant bills.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Don't want to raise an unecessary issue, but I would myself be concerned that despite the card, OHIP could come after you even if birth happened before the expiry if she never met the requirements in the first place.

The requirements are the following:

Temporary Foreign Workers
Closed and Open Work Permits
Temporary foreign workers who hold a valid work permit may be eligible for OHIP coverage. The worker must be employed full-time for an employer in Ontario for a minimum of 6 months and :

• Maintain their primary place of residence in Ontario; and
  • Be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period, and
  • Be physically present in Ontario for 153 of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province

If you got OHIP card based on the assumption that she would work 6 months, but actually never did, I feel you don't qualify for coverage irrespective of the date on your card and OHIP could ask for repayment.

Am I wrong in being concerned about that? To me it is similar to not being in the country for the period required to qualify, even if the person has a valid card, does not mean he actually qualifies and therefore claims are at risk of having to be repaid.

I would wait for others to comment and maybe reach out to 1 800 268-1154 to ensure that you are currently eligible and at no risk of having to repay significant bills.
Believe she got OHIP through her husband when he was working on PGWP. He applied for PR with her non-accompanying. She is entitled to current OHIP but once expired is not which will mean out of pocket expenses.

sandhu_heera_preet

Star Member
Jul 30, 2016
Believe she got OHIP through her husband when he was working on PGWP. He applied for PR with her non-accompanying. She is entitled to current OHIP but once expired is not which will mean out of pocket expenses.
yes this is right. she got OIHP based on me when I was on work permit