+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting my younger brother to study in canada

lakmal0012

Mar 24, 2022
Hey Guys,

I currently reside in Canada and I have a brother in Sri Lanka. He's currently in grade 9 (13 years old) and I am trying to get him to Canada for his further studies. I am currently a PR holder and I have a full-time, permanent job. What are the best available options to get my brother to study in Canada and get his PR eventually? Please advise.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey Guys,

I currently reside in Canada and I have a brother in Sri Lanka. He's currently in grade 9 (13 years old) and I am trying to get him to Canada for his further studies. I am currently a PR holder and I have a full-time, permanent job. What are the best available options to get my brother to study in Canada and get his PR eventually? Please advise.
Show that you have the extra finances to pay for public (10-15k) of private school (huge range) plus 10k for living expenses every year. If your parents have a supervisa that will likely be a negative for your brother’s study permit application because he won’t have strong ties to Sri Lanka.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey Guys,

Your brother will need to apply for a study permit in order to be able to study in Canada at the high school level. Tuition costs will be approximately $15,000 per year since he is an international student. Before he can apply for the study permit, you will need to find a school in your jurisdiction that is willing to accept him as an international student. Finishing his high school studies in Canada will not give him a path to PR.

In terms of qualifying for PR, my recommendation would be that your brother finish his high school education in his home country and ideally also finish a Bachelor degree in his home country, then come to Canada for a Master's or post graduate diploma. He should make sure the program he plans to study in Canada is at least two years long so that he qualifies for a 3 year PGWP. This will give him the best chance of qualifyig for PR.

Hehee

Star Member
Feb 28, 2022
Hey Guys,

If he is below 18 you can sponsor him idk about PR cause idk anyone. He can finish his high school and then join a college. But if he really wants to study in Canada right now you can easily sponsor him or say him to finish high school then come. Basically your choice.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If he is below 18 you can sponsor him idk about PR cause idk anyone. He can finish his high school and then join a college. But if he really wants to study in Canada right now you can easily sponsor him or say him to finish high school then come. Basically your choice.
There are basically three ways the OP can sponsor his brother for PR through family sponsorship. The first is as a dependent in a parent / grandparent sponsorship application which requires the OP to meet the income requirements and also be selected through the PGP lottery. The brother needs to be under 22 when the application to sponsor the parents is received by IRCC. The second is if the OP has no spouse / common law partner, no children, both parents are deceased and OP has no other family in Canada. In that case the brother can be sponsored under the lonely Canadian rule at any time (any age). The third is if the brother is an orphan (both parents deceased) and a minor.