+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting my would wife to Canada - Quickest Route

Kush.k19

Jan 27, 2020
Hello All,
cc - @scylla , @canuck78 , @legalfalcon , @Leon , @Bryanna
I am a Canadian PR for last 3 years. I am in India right now and planning to get married sometime next month(Apr 2021) in India.
I want to understand the quickest route/way through which I can bring my would be wife to Canada safely. The wait times on CIC look quite high.

Any suggestions on the below would be really appreciated -
1. Which category VISA would be most appropriate and efficient time wise ?
2. Will there be a need for 2 applications to be simultaneously submitted in this case like a TRV and a Dependent PR ? Also not sure how an inland dependent PR VISA can be filed ?

I can provide more details as needed.

Thanks in Advance,
Kush Kawale
kush19kawale@gmail.com

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,
cc - @scylla , @canuck78 , @legalfalcon , @Leon , @Bryanna
I am a Canadian PR for last 3 years. I am in India right now and planning to get married sometime next month(Apr 2021) in India.
I want to understand the quickest route/way through which I can bring my would be wife to Canada safely. The wait times on CIC look quite high.

Any suggestions on the below would be really appreciated -
1. Which category VISA would be most appropriate and efficient time wise ?
2. Will there be a need for 2 applications to be simultaneously submitted in this case like a TRV and a Dependent PR ? Also not sure how an inland dependent PR VISA can be filed ?

I can provide more details as needed.

Thanks in Advance,
Kush Kawale
kush19kawale@gmail.com
There are no guaranteed ways to bring your spouse to Canada before she gets sponsored she can attempt to get a TRV. She would have a better chance of being approved if she wasn't married to someone with PR. Given that you are getting married next month and she won't be able to do biometrics in India if she applies for a single person applying TRV, she'll need to update her status to married. Realistically you should try to return to Canada as soon as possible and apply for sponsorship. Getting sponsorship started is the best option.

Kush.k19

Jan 27, 2020
Thank you @canuck78 .
So you suggest to apply her TRV before marriage and change her marital status while TRV in process ?
And then in parallel file for her sponsorship after I return to Canada ?

Thanks,
Kush

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you @canuck78 .
So you suggest to apply her TRV before marriage and change her marital status while TRV in process ?
And then in parallel file for her sponsorship after I return to Canada ?

Thanks,
Kush
The wrinkle is that while she can apply now, it's not clear that they are processing or approving TRV applications unless the applicant is clearly eligible to enter under the family reunification exemption to travel restrictions. I.e. it may not be practical to apply before marriage in the circumstances. You can inquire in the TRV forum here.

She can certainly apply after marriage and before you apply for the spousal sponsorship. She can apply herself while you are abroad for the TRV. For sponsorship, you should only apply once you return to Canada.

As noted, none of this means that it will be easy to get TRV.

Kush.k19

Jan 27, 2020
Thank you @armoured

So her marital status on the TRV can change while it is in processing (I can plan to have the Biometric for TRV done from Dubai/Nepal depending on the VFS appointment and eligibility status there).

So will the change in her marital status help in
1. increasing the approval chances on here application ?
2. expediting the application in anyway OR reducing the current processing time ?

Thanks,
Kush

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you @armoured

So her marital status on the TRV can change while it is in processing (I can plan to have the Biometric for TRV done from Dubai/Nepal depending on the VFS appointment and eligibility status there).

So will the change in her marital status help in
1. increasing the approval chances on here application ?
2. expediting the application in anyway OR reducing the current processing time ?

Thanks,
Kush
You might want to check the TRV forum here.

Again, the odd situation right now is that they may not be processing or approving TRVs for those without exemptions - ie your spouse until you marry. I'm not certain but that was the case for a period (unofficially).

But generally, being married to a Canadian reduces the chances of being approved.

Yes, it's a bit of a vicious circle right now - can't get approved without being married, increased chance of denial if married.

I don't know about your other questions.

Kush.k19

Jan 27, 2020
Thank you @armoured

1. I am sorry as I am unable to understand if there is a link I should be referring to in your statement - "You might want to check the TRV forum here". Could you please provide a URL/location where I can read more about this.

2. Another thing - Can a TRV application process simultaneously with Outland/Inland dependent spousal application ? Also, if the TRV gets approved, can she travel with the Outland/Inland dependent spousal application in process ?

Thanks,
Kush

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you @armoured

1. I am sorry as I am unable to understand if there is a link I should be referring to in your statement - "You might want to check the TRV forum here". Could you please provide a URL/location where I can read more about this.

2. Another thing - Can a TRV application process simultaneously with Outland/Inland dependent spousal application ? Also, if the TRV gets approved, can she travel with the Outland/Inland dependent spousal application in process ?

Thanks,
Kush
This site has numerous subsections. The one on visitors is here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/visitors.8/

Yes, applications can be simultaneous, and if TRV approved, she could come to visit. As noted, chances of it being approved are not necessarily high.

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Just a note, it's unlikely she will be able to get a TRV right now, the restrictions are pretty clear on how is allowed to enter on a TRV and casual tourism is not one of the reasons, I don't believe a fiance is exempt under family reunification. The other challenge will be after you marry, they don't like to hand out TRV's often to married couples for fear the visitor will overstay.

Kush.k19

Jan 27, 2020
Hello @his*marty
So is it like post marriage - only outland spousal application is my way out !? And nothing can be done before marriage say even entering the queue for TRVs as the processing time right now says 197 days.
Thanks, Kush

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello @his*marty
So is it like post marriage - only outland spousal application is my way out !? And nothing can be done before marriage say even entering the queue for TRVs as the processing time right now says 197 days.
Thanks, Kush
Ignore the processing time. It's a backward looking measure which due to covid doesn't mean much (and again, most are not being processed at all).

You apply outland and TRV, and hope they go quickly. Some do get approved. You can apply more than once for trv.

Reactions: his*marty

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Hello @his*marty
Thanks, Kush
The issue right now is that she won't qualify for TRV. From the IRCC website:

To protect Canadians from the outbreak of COVID-19, the Prime Minister announced travel restrictions that limit travel to Canada. Until further notice, most foreign nationals cannot travel to Canada, even if they have a valid visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).

These restrictions stop most non-essential (discretionary) travel to Canada.

These are the exceptions listed under "Foreign Nationals who are Eligible to Travel to Canada":

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#can_enter

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Foreign Nationals that can come to Canada have to fall under any of these:

To be eligible, you must meet one of the following requirements:

• You must be travelling directly from the US for a non-discretionary purpose.
  • You must be exempt from the travel restrictions and be travelling for a non-discretionary purpose.
Travellers coming from outside the US who are exempt from the travel restrictions
  • temporary foreign workers
  • some international students
  • some people who have been approved to become a permanent resident of Canada, but who are not yet permanent residents
  • immediate family members with written authorization from IRCC to reunite with a temporary resident of Canada (see Uniting with immediate family members for more information)
  • transiting passengers (must remain in the secure transit area of a Canadian airport to complete their connection)
  • members of the Canadian forces, visiting forces coming to perform official duties, Department of National Defence and their immediate family members
  • accredited diplomats and their immediate family members (includes North Atlantic Treaty Organization [NATO], those under the United Nations Headquarters Agreement, other organizations)
  • air and marine crew members
  • French citizens who live in Saint-Pierre and Miquelon and have been in only Canada, the US or Saint-Pierre and Miquelon during the 14 days before the day they seek to enter Canada
  • any person who does not pose a significant harm to public health, in the opinion of the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, and who will provide an essential service while in Canada
  • any person whose presence in Canada is in the national interest, in the opinion of the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship; Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness; or Minister of Foreign Affairs
    • If you fall under this exemption, you don’t have to demonstrate that you’re entering Canada for a non-discretionary reason.
    • This exemption may be applied only by any of the 3 ministers listed above.
    • This exemption is for exceptional circumstances only. All other options must be considered before it will be considered.
    • If you think you may qualify for a national interest exemption, you can contact your nearest visa office.
  • any person who is coming at the invitation of the Minister of Health for the purpose of COVID-19 assistance
  • any person whose purpose is to make medical deliveries