+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting my pasport back

Dreaming_Calgary

Star Member
Feb 7, 2011
VivianLau said:
I am in the same boat. Waiting for 47 days already. No reply at all with my enquiries. I absolutely suggest everyone who needs a visa to visit Canada to avoid travelling to Canada if you don't have to. They really suck. I just wrote an email to the minister of their immigration department to complaint about their unresponsiveness. I hope more people can do that to bring this into their attention. It is ridicoulous that updating to a new computer system can slow things down for so long.
Hi vivian ... Did you get your passports back...its 48th day today...i never heard anything from them...>I'm very frustrated... Can anyone reading this can answer me ....I'm really waiting for an answer.....I suppose to join my new job 1st week of Aug....I couldn't give notice to my current employer and everything is kind of hanging because of this uncertainty...

Jul 26, 2011
I have applied for my parents TRV on June 3rd, 2011, via US express mail. No response back yet from the Canadian Consulate in NY. Now, they don't need their TRVs anymore, cause their return flight is on August 2nd.

Very frustrating. There is no way to contact the Canadian Consulate (NYC) directly, no response, no way to track the status, no way to talk to anyone, no way to find out where their passports are!

My parents are old people. At this time they are super concern and anxious about their passports. Their entire trip is turning into an unpleasant experience by this TRV application process.

Need help now.

Dreaming_Calgary

Star Member
Feb 7, 2011
Frustrated Tourist said:
I have applied for my parents TRV on June 3rd, 2011, via US express mail. No response back yet from the Canadian Consulate in NY. Now, they don't need their TRVs anymore, cause their return flight is on August 2nd.

Very frustrating. There is no way to contact the Canadian Consulate (NYC) directly, no response, no way to track the status, no way to talk to anyone, no way to find out where their passports are!

My parents are old people. At this time they are super concern and anxious about their passports. Their entire trip is turning into an unpleasant experience by this TRV application process.

Need help now.
This one line "There is no way to contact the Canadian Consulate (NYC) directly, no response, no way to track the status, no way to talk to anyone, no way to find out where their passports are!" is everyones concern....Not sure, even developing countries like India have good process in place...I really wonder how can they even manage to do this way.... very very frustrating.... :(

Jul 26, 2011
Today is the 55th day since I applied for my parent’s TRV and no news about their passports yet. I have emailed the NYC Canadian Consulate more than 25 times now but received not a single response back. Don't know what to do.

My parent's flight back is on August 2nd, 2011. Should I go to NYC consulate and ask for their passports? Parents don't need TRV anymore, just want their passports back.

Extremely annoying situation.

Dreaming_Calgary

Star Member
Feb 7, 2011
Frustrated Tourist said:
Today is the 55th day since I applied for my parent's TRV and no news about their passports yet. I have emailed the NYC Canadian Consulate more than 25 times now but received not a single response back. Don't know what to do.

My parent's flight back is on August 2nd, 2011. Should I go to NYC consulate and ask for their passports? Parents don't need TRV anymore, just want their passports back.

Extremely annoying situation.

I think you can go to the consulate anytime and request for your passports...Since you don't require TRV anymore ,shouldn't be a big issue...In my case i want my WP stamped ,so i cannot walk in to their office and ask my passports back...Good Luck with it...Who knows when you go their office u might get their TRV's as well(even though its of no use for you) .. :)

Jul 26, 2011
Dreaming - I called the Canadian Consulate General in NYC and they said they couldn't return my passports unless I have an appointment with the consulate office. Now the only way to make an appointment is via email, which they usually don't response!

59th day today.... parent's return flight is tomorrow and still no passport. Sorry Canada you really disappointed me.

Jul 26, 2011
Finally got a response back from the NYC Consulate that they will sent back the passport w/ visa either today or tomorrow!!! Still I need to change my parent's return flight ::)

Dreaming_Calgary

Star Member
Feb 7, 2011
Frustrated Tourist said:
Finally got a response back from the NYC Consulate that they will sent back the passport w/ visa either today or tomorrow!!! Still I need to change my parent's return flight ::)
reading your first post,I felt sorry for you...But the 2nd msg sounds good....I know it should be such a disapponitment for you....

Beleive me i'm going thro the same frustration...I just want to know what did you write in your last mail that brought that response...I just want to give a try using the same tactic....I've to join my new job on Aug22nd and time is getting so nearby that i need 2 weeks notice for my current employer....

I greatly appreciate your help....

Jul 26, 2011
Dreaming - Previously, I must have sent them 50 emails but today, the only different thing I did was, I sent them a fax first with "URGENT" written on the cover sheet in BIG LETTERS. Don't know whether that did something or not.

In the letter I explained them in detail WHY and WHEN I applied for the visas, about the current situation and why it is so urgent for my parents to get their passports back. Seems like they processed the application today (after 59 days!!!).

Good luck with you work permit. I will let you know once I receive my passports back via mail.

Dreaming_Calgary

Star Member
Feb 7, 2011
FT - They sent my passports yesterday...I see it thro usps tracking....I also sent an email with a critical subject and wrote why i would be wanting it immediately...Good...even though they dont reply,they do consider such requests.......I'm really happy now.... :D

Thanks so much for your detailed response......

hs9581

Aug 3, 2011
Hello All,

I applied for Canada visitor visa at the NYC embassy. They received my package on July12th and since then I haven't heard back from them. The CIC website says it takes upto 30 days to process, but after reading some of the posts on this forum I am concerned that I may not get my visa/passport in time to visit Canada on Aug 28th. Looks like it is taking longer than 30 days to process?

Anyone who have applied recently and have got their passport back, please share your experience.

Thanks,

Aug 6, 2011
hi, i applied for canada work permit on last week of July 2011 at NY Consulate. I was hoping to get back my passports back in 10 business days..but looks like its taking 48 days (I agree case to case it could vary). I agree atleast they should not take passports in case its going to take this long. Just take papers and once approved call people to get passports stamped. Wonder if all of the users give similar feedback the system will change or if no one cares at consulate or may be we are expecting too much. Probably 3 months is what we should assume (and plan accordinlgy) and then we will be happy when we get it back in 2 months. I am sounding optimist because this is my first post but may be once my days of moving out of US comes closer (which is not too far away) and I donot get my passports back I will also start panicking. Till then hoping everything works out well.

Hoping for a better tomorrow.

gnanasekarans

Jun 15, 2012
Hi Vivian,

Curious to know how ur situation resolved as I am in the same boat. thanks

VivianLau said:
I am in the same boat. Waiting for 47 days already. No reply at all with my enquiries. I absolutely suggest everyone who needs a visa to visit Canada to avoid travelling to Canada if you don't have to. They really suck. I just wrote an email to the minister of their immigration department to complaint about their unresponsiveness. I hope more people can do that to bring this into their attention. It is ridicoulous that updating to a new computer system can slow things down for so long.