+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Medicals Approved

SadGirl:(

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Friends!

My husband redone his medicals yesterday but the DMP said he will not approve them because my husband's blood pressure was high. He says that he's not going to send the results to London until my husband sees a doctor and gets treatment for 2 weeks and that doctor has to write up a medical report on my husband's health status and send it to the DMP. What's going to happen here. This is not fair, my husband's first medicals were approved but unfortunately they expired so my husband went and redone them yesterday and now they don't want to give him approval on them. How do we go about this situation? They can not possibly deny my husband just becasue his blood pressure was high. Blood pressure fluctuates all the time. Please adivse.

Thank you!

shamrock

Star Member
Feb 13, 2009
Wow...was it extremely high? High blood pressure can cause a number of serious complications if left untreated...perhaps the DMP viewed this as a possible burden on the health care system? Although I thought they could not refuse spousal sponsorships for something so minor.

My BP was high when I went for my medical but my DMP simply told me to make sure to talk to my physician about it once I got back to the US and I had no issues getting my PR. Sounds like you possibly got a nasty DMP. Immigration is a stressful thing...I'm sure most of us had elevated BP levels when getting our medicals!

robertbola

Mar 29, 2009
I agree with shamruck about how high it was. I would not have thought that that would cause it to stall....anyway I hope your husband can seek treatment.

Also- did the Visa office ask you husband to re-do the medicals...because if not then you should be okay to wait a couple of weeks..

I hope you get a decision soon SadGirl :-(

IsleChik

Sep 16, 2009
Doesn't matter if it was high if you are sponsoring your husband as a spouse
Spouses are excessive demand exempt
Heck, I had sugar in my urine - was classified as M39

Add - if the DMP your husband went to won't release the results for 2 weeks - I guess you have a few choices
1 - call the DMP's office & complain - what they should have done really is, let your hubby lay down for 10 mins or so & try again - it could easily be explained as "white coat anxiety" - a one time high BP reading does not warrant treatment - your hubby could go to his GP and have nothing wrong
2 - demand a refund (doubtful) and go to a different DMP
3 - wait the 2 weeks, go back - practise deep breathing excersizes even if he wants to rip the doc's throat out

Also something to keep in mind - and it annoys me to no end, if you husband has a "larger body type" - or even big arms, and they use a "normal" sized BP cuff - they'll always have a high reading until they use a larger cuff

Just some food for thought

SadGirl:( said:
Hi Friends!

My husband redone his medicals yesterday but the DMP said he will not approve them because my husband's blood pressure was high. He says that he's not going to send the results to London until my husband sees a doctor and gets treatment for 2 weeks and that doctor has to write up a medical report on my husband's health status and send it to the DMP. What's going to happen here. This is not fair, my husband's first medicals were approved but unfortunately they expired so my husband went and redone them yesterday and now they don't want to give him approval on them. How do we go about this situation? They can not possibly deny my husband just becasue his blood pressure was high. Blood pressure fluctuates all the time. Please adivse.

Thank you!

Sep 22, 2009
My DMP heard a heart murmur and marked it down on his form. He indicated that CIC may require that I visit a cardiologist to determine the severity and possibly get treatment, if the condition is serious, as a prerequisite for visa approval. He recommended that I wait to see a cardiologist until an official request, if any, is made. CIC may have certain requirements for the exam. The DMP also said that they tend to be more lenient with spousal applications, so it may not be an issue. Our discussion didn't exactly leave me at ease with the medical exam portion of the application.

The information from the DMP seems to contradict the fact that my application is in the excessive demand exempt category. On the other hand, why would he need to listen to my heart and fill out in place on the medical exam form if the answer didn't matter?

There's not much I can do at this point. Just waiting to hear information from CIC.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Keep in mind that DMP's do thousands of medicals every year for PR, foreign worker and LIC applicants to Canada and this category (spousal, CL, conjugal, dependent children) is the ONLY one of ALL the classes that is medically exempt from excessive demand. 10 chances to 1 that the doctors don't know this NOR is it their job to know immigration law. That's not what they get paid for. They are told to do X, Y and Z by the Canadian government and that's what they do. To the OP, follow Islechik's advice. The DMP was actually trying to do your husband a favour because they thought the first medical would ruin your husband chances of being a successful PR so he was told come back and do it again. Did hubby TELL them that as a spouse he was exempt from excessive demand? My husband, who is re-doing his medical tomorrow, wouldn't know to tell the DMP that.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rjessome said:
Keep in mind that DMP's do thousands of medicals every year for PR, foreign worker and LIC applicants to Canada and this category (spousal, CL, conjugal, dependent children) is the ONLY one of ALL the classes that is medically exempt from excessive demand. 10 chances to 1 that the doctors don't know this NOR is it their job to know immigration law. That's not what they get paid for. They are told to do X, Y and Z by the Canadian government and that's what they do. To the OP, follow Islechik's advice. The DMP was actually trying to do your husband a favour because they thought the first medical would ruin your husband chances of being a successful PR so he was told come back and do it again. Did hubby TELL them that as a spouse he was exempt from excessive demand? My husband, who is re-doing his medical tomorrow, wouldn't know to tell the DMP that.
As an aside, the DMP is telling you that is possible that you have a health problem and should have it checked out. S/he couldn't care if you are excessive demand exempt, they are Drs. and it is their DUTY to inform you if something could be effecting your health.

PMM

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Of course PMM is right!

Jeez, get too focused on the immigration part and forget about actual health issues!

Sep 22, 2009
In my case, the doctor was aware that I am in the excessive demand exempt category, and he had experience with the application process of others in the same category. Part of what he was required to do (apparently) is to mark down any irregularities in my heartbeat. Perhaps this information is ignored by immigration, but it's natural to wonder why they would require it if they aren't going to use it.

True, doctors are not responsible for knowing immigration law, but as a patient and someone who is brand new to the process you are aware that the doctor is officially designated by the Canadian government and that the doctor does have experience dealing with the immigration process in a practical sense. I can understand why SadGirl:( might have some concerns with what the DMP said, even if the actual immigration law is on her side. I'll bet that nearly every applicant has some level of anxiety until the final approval comes.

imho any possible health issue which needs to be addressed is a different discussion topic than whether or not the visa process is delayed.

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My husband's doctor written up a report on my husband's health status and my husband faxed it to the DMP. He also called the DMP to verify that he received the fax. The DMP said that he received it and said that he attached it to the file and is sending it to London.

Since the DMP is sending the medicals to London, does that mean that the DMP approved them? If the DMP approves the medicals does that mean that they will be cleared? If not, when London receives the results, how long does it take to get the medicals cleared?

E-CAS has never been updated since March 26, 2009 (to inform us of my husband's interview). I don't know when or if the medical results have been receieved in London and neither my husband nor I have sent in a case specific enquiry in regards to this because we're afraid of disturbing the process. Will E-CAS show that the medicals have been repeated and received??? Any suggestions on what we should do; please advise? We just desperately want this process to be over with :(

Thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

My husband's doctor written up a report on my husband's health status and my husband faxed it to the DMP. He also called the DMP to verify that he received the fax. The DMP said that he received it and said that he attached it to the file and is sending it to London.

Since the DMP is sending the medicals to London, does that mean that the DMP approved them? If the DMP approves the medicals does that mean that they will be cleared? If not, when London receives the results, how long does it take to get the medicals cleared?

E-CAS has never been updated since March 26, 2009 (to inform us of my husband's interview). I don't know when or if the medical results have been receieved in London and neither my husband nor I have sent in a case specific enquiry in regards to this because we're afraid of disturbing the process. Will E-CAS show that the medicals have been repeated and received??? Any suggestions on what we should do; please advise? We just desperately want this process to be over with :(

Thank you!
1. The DMP doesn't approve the medicals, that is done by the Regional Medical Officer, who is an employee of CIC. The review by RMO takes about a month.
2. Yes, ecas will show that the medicals have been received by CHC/CIC.

PMM

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Yes, ecas will show that the medicals have been received by CHC/CIC.
Still nothing on ecas. When do they usually update it? When the medicals have been received in London or when the medicals have been approved by the RMO?

I'm concerned because when my husband done his medicals the first time the man that conducted the interview was saying that they don't have any medicals on file and I told him that that is impossible because everything was included in the application up front. With a little bit of digging, they eventually found them. What surprises me is how could they have misplaced them when my application was in perfect order and everything was included and was labeled. URG!!! I just want everything to work out and go smoothly . . . :(

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
Hi Friends!
He says that he's not going to send the results to London until my husband sees a doctor and gets treatment for 2 weeks and that doctor has to write up a medical report on my husband's health status and send it to the DMP.
Thank you!
I don't get why your husband's DMP won't send the results to London. Isn't it the DMP's job to perform the medical, run all and any necessary tests and x-rays and just forward those results to the CIC processing office? Wouldn't it then be the IO handling your file to determine the outcome and take it from there. In this case your husband is excessive demand exempt and his blood pressure would not affect his application.

I hope this all works out for you! :)

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
msgomez said:
Hi Friends!
He says that he's not going to send the results to London until my husband sees a doctor and gets treatment for 2 weeks and that doctor has to write up a medical report on my husband's health status and send it to the DMP.
Thank you!
I don't get why your husband's DMP won't send the results to London. Isn't it the DMP's job to perform the medical, run all and any necessary tests and x-rays and just forward those results to the CIC processing office? Wouldn't it then be the IO handling your file to determine the outcome and take it from there. In this case your husband is excessive demand exempt and his blood pressure would not affect his application.

I hope this all works out for you! :)
Sorry, this may sound like a stupid question, but what do you mean by "excessive demand exempt"?

Thanks!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada's immigration Act states that in order to be eligible, you must not have a health condition that would cause "excessive" demand (meaning cost too much) on the Canadian healthcare system. Exempt means that this eligibility requirement does not apply to Family Class applicants in the Spousal, Common law, Conjugal and dependent children category. It applies EVERYWHERE else within the immigration system.