+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married!!

Napiergen

Jul 9, 2010
Hi all!

After reading and reading and getting soooooo much misinformation I've found you guys and I'm hoping I will be guided in the right direction, finally!! It is so great to hear people going through the same process and hopefully I can get some questions answered to reassure myself and my soon to be wifey. My Fiance is Canadian and I am Irish we've been together for 8 months and will be getting married this September. At the mo she is in Canada and I am in Ireland and we'll tie the knot in Alberta, Woooohoooo! We do want live together in Canada so she will need to sponsor me and this is where questions galore come in ;)

From my understanding it is a quicker process applying from outside of Canada so I will return after we are married (which is goin to break my heart uuuurgh) and we will apply from here. Do I send ALL the Spousal visa forms to the London office?? Or Vegreville?? Or Mississauga? If I am approved and I get that visa can I travel outside of Canada and re enter without any problems? I do have a daughter in the UK so we will travel back to visit the wee smallie often ;D Should I apply for my permanent resident visa the same time as the Spousal visa? I've read that i will take 8 months!! To get approved which isn't terrible but not ideal of course so how long will it take? Thankfully my Fiance will come back to Ireland for the final 3 months of that waiting period.

Hmmmm what else?? Uuuuum well thats enough for the mo but the more advice and help we can get the better.

Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing from you all.

Waytie

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
First of all - Congratulations!!

You can apply for permanent residency through Family Class - Spouse as soon as you are married and have the marriage certificate back. You can remain as a visitor here in Canada while the application is in process, even if you apply outland. You will have to go to London if an interview is required. Just make sure you extend your visitor status if necessary. Being Irish, you should have no problems traveling back and forth, but ensure that you are just VISITING Canada, and not moving here until you have your PR. You will not be able to work in Canada until you get your PR.

The entire application is mailed to Mississauga, where they will approve your wife and then send the application onto London for processing.

Right now, start gathering evidence of your relationship. How you met, emails, phone bills, chat logs, lots and lots of pictures of you both together and with each other's families. This can be the most time consuming of all tasks required. Look through the guides and forms now so you know what to expect.

Closer to the wedding date you will have to get police clearance from Ireland and any other country you have lived in for 6 months or more. You will also have to do a medical exam, either here or in Ireland. Your daughter (although she is not emigrating with you) will also need a medical done.

Congratulations again, and good luck!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, you do not have to return to Ireland to apply from outside Canada. Use the application forms for person living outside Canada and list your address in Ireland. You can give a mailing address in Canada though. Officially you are still living in Ireland but visiting in Canada.

You should send all your forms to Mississauga and once they are done with them, they will send them to London. Once you are approved and get your visa, if you are outside Canada, you just have to arrive in Canada with your visa to get your PR status. If you are in Canada, you can either make an appointment to "land" at a local immigration Canada office or you make a quick trip to the US and come back to Canada and do it that way. You should have your PR card in 1-2 months and then you will not have any problems coming back to Canada after your visits to the UK.

There is no separate spousal vs. PR visa. You apply for your PR through spousal sponsorship.

Napiergen

Jul 9, 2010
WOWZER!!

Thank you for such a quick response. Ooooh this proof of relatonship is a funny one! Well we have hundreds of emails that are crazy long and full of heart pouring hehe. We've got pictures galore and I ring her every morning and most evenings so call logs it is! We have sooo many stories, holiday tales ooooh and there is an Irish Limerick I wrote her too. Will this be enough?

I was unaware of a medical do I just go to my own doctor and get him to give me the once over. Do I jst need a Doctors cert stating I'm in good health?

We'll both have to go to London? WOW!! Sweet well Tower of London here we come!!

Interesting points Leon I totally didnt realise I could reside in the country on a visitors visa, thats a GREAT heads up and something we will consider because being apart is TOUGH!!

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Your medical will have to be done by a Designated Medical Professional. You will find a list of them in Alberta and Ireland on the website www.cic.gc.ca

Only you will have to go to London for an interview if it is required. Of course, you'd probably make a trip out of it, which would be wonderful.

I can read your love and happiness all through your post. I'm very happy for you, and wish you a terrific wedding and a speedy immigration process!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Napiergen said:
Ooooh this proof of relatonship is a funny one! Well we have hundreds of emails that are crazy long and full of heart pouring hehe. We've got pictures galore and I ring her every morning and most evenings so call logs it is! We have sooo many stories, holiday tales ooooh and there is an Irish Limerick I wrote her too. Will this be enough?
It sounds good. Also include everything about your wedding - guest lists, lists of gifts, a wedding invitation, receipts, evidence of the engagement party and honeymoon (if any). They will also want to see that your girlfriend is involved as much as possible in the life of your child - that she is interested in the child, has met her, knows about her interests and education. etc. (Of course, supposing that the mother allows contact.)
I was unaware of a medical do I just go to my own doctor and get him to give me the once over. Do I jst need a Doctors cert stating I'm in good health?
You have to go to a DMP - a designated medical practitioner - which is a doctor that has been approved by CIC to do the immigration medicals. They have a list of them on the CIC website.

journeyman

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
File Transfer...
25-05-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2010
LANDED..........
12-10-2010
This is the link to the guides you will need for sponship. There are three parts,
I -The Sponsor's Guide, II - The Applicant's Guide, and III, The Region Specific Guide.

It will help to read through them and then you can ask more specific questions, as you are preparing your application. Congratulations.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Napiergen

Jul 9, 2010
You are all SOOOOO Fantiscoooo!!

I'm loving this everything seems so much clearer and I will have so much fun showig off our Wedding photo's to the immigration officials hahaha any excuse right?? :D I also have a picture taken only a few minutes after I proposed to her.

Oooooh and we're having the wedding rings specially made I'll keep that receipt and anything else I can think of. OH my Wedding kilt!!

The designated medical practitioner approved medical. How long is it valid for? If I got one soon would it be valid for the next few months?

THANKING YOU ALL!

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
Napiergen said:
The designated medical practitioner approved medical. How long is it valid for? If I got one soon would it be valid for the next few months?
One year, this usually is also the date, one year later of which by you have to land in Canada and take up permanent residence.

Napiergen

Jul 9, 2010
Hey!

Well Leon has suggested that I could apply outland but stay inland. We (myself and my wifey) need to be together is there any pitfalls that could address this situation while applying inland??

Waytie

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
there is always a risk that after leaving Canada you would not be re-admitted. Being from Ireland, this is less of an issue. Many, many people do this, especially from UK and US. Techncially you would just be visiting here while your app is in process. You generally get an implied 6 month entry when coming into Canada, if you want to stay longer without leaving again, you can extend your visit quite easily.

I wish I had the option to have my husband here while we are processing. It would be much easier on both of us!

journeyman

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
File Transfer...
25-05-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2010
LANDED..........
12-10-2010
Napiergen said:
Hey!

Well Leon has suggested that I could apply outland but stay inland. We (myself and my wifey) need to be together is there any pitfalls that could address this situation while applying inland??

Waytie
Two that come to mind: you would not be able to leave Canada during an inland process and it is a much longer timeline. You have no right of appeal with an inland application.

Leon's suggestion is an outland application. Even though you would be staying in Canada, technically you would be only a visitor, since during the process you would be considered to be applying outland from Ireland.

Napiergen

Jul 9, 2010
Hey all!!

A couple of questions! My Fiancé rang the info hotline for information about the application process and the representative informed us that we should apply through the Vegreville office, is this correct?? We will be applying for an outland spousal visa application does the Mississauga office deal with these ooooooor am I getting confused again?

One dooooown one to go!

If we apply for an outland application would the immigration authorities who are dealing with our case be aware that I may use 4 or 5 months of my visitor’s visa to be with my soon to be wifey? I am thinking about staying with her for a few months while we are awaiting a decision. Could this effect our application in ANYWAY?

Thank you everyone!

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
vegreville is inland

mississauga is outland

:)

CIC is not always known for giving out correct information. When in doubt, call three times with the same question and see which one comes up twice...that's usually the right one!

Napiergen

Jul 9, 2010
Aaaaaaaaaah I see!!

Thats what i thought that they werent totally forthcoming with ALL the info etc. It take one couple to mess it up for the genuine couples hey??

So my second question is freaking us out. I will apply outland but would like to travel to Canada and stay with me Deary on a visitors visa. Can this effect our application in ANY WAY????

Waytie