+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married with a Tourist in Canada

bmakwana

Aug 14, 2019
Hi,

My friend is coming to Canada on a TRV Visa. He got divorced and have two kids back home in India who are legally with their mother. Can me and my friend get married here in Canada and myself being a PR apply for an inland sponsorship for him? I am really worried in regards to the application and how the whole process should work or if there will be any issues as he is divorced back home and will be here as tourist.

Could someone please suggest if I should apply for Inland or Outland sponsorship as we did not want to wait for long processing time and bringing him here as a tourist was the faster way to be together.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you can apply inland this way. Hopefully you have lots of proof that you are in a genuine relationship. Previous visits together in person, proof of regular communication, etc.

property_pro

Oct 3, 2016
As canuck78 suggested, the success of your application will depend upon proving that you're in a genuine relationship. Unfortunately, I don't think the CIC officers believe in "love at first sight" so you'll have to prove that you were in some sort of a relationship prior to your friend's arrival in Canada. Did either of you visit each other previously? Did you maintain regular contact with each other through email or other means? Are you able to show you were planning to get married at some point in the future.

Its not unheard of to have your application accepted, but vast majority of applications that fall in this category are probably rejected due to suspicion of "paper marriage" etc.

bmakwana

Aug 14, 2019
Thanks for the info canuck78 and property_pro.
Me and my friend know each other more then 18 years now. We dated before he was married and again were in the relationship after his divorce too. Our parents agree to us getting married here and we were always in touch through out this time. Our relationship is genuine and we have lots of chats and other supporting documents. My concern is he had got a tourist visa as a married person and now will be here as a divorced guy. I dont know if it gets suspicious here in this case. Also, I am not sure if he would have to go back while the inland application is in process. We do not want him to go back.
Is the process for Inland sponsorship easy and can be applied myself or I will have to consult someone for immigration.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks for the info canuck78 and property_pro.
Me and my friend know each other more then 18 years now. We dated before he was married and again were in the relationship after his divorce too. Our parents agree to us getting married here and we were always in touch through out this time. Our relationship is genuine and we have lots of chats and other supporting documents. My concern is he had got a tourist visa as a married person and now will be here as a divorced guy. I dont know if it gets suspicious here in this case. Also, I am not sure if he would have to go back while the inland application is in process. We do not want him to go back.
Is the process for Inland sponsorship easy and can be applied myself or I will have to consult someone for immigration.
The tourist visa is not an issue, nor is the fact that he got it when he was married and is now divorced.

The process is easy, but it is detailed. You can do it yourself if you are comfortable, or you can hire a professional (please hire a good one, plenty of not-so-good ones around).

You can read up on the process here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

And here's the detailed guide - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Reactions: bmakwana

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
And no, he doesn't have to go back. He can stay here and apply for extensions while the sponsorship proceeds.

bmakwana

Aug 14, 2019
The tourist visa is not an issue, nor is the fact that he got it when he was married and is now divorced.

The process is easy, but it is detailed. You can do it yourself if you are comfortable, or you can hire a professional (please hire a good one, plenty of not-so-good ones around).

You can read up on the process here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

And here's the detailed guide - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Thank you. Will go through the process and see if I could do it myself.