+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting married while pr application in process

aprung_abril

Jun 28, 2014
Hello, I am a newbie here. My PR application is still in process under the Live-In Caregiver Program. I got married last January and added my spouse in my application. Can anyone share their timeline please? Thank you very much!

ZAJAMIL

Jan 5, 2015
Bangladesh
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
june 20 ,2016
Doc's Request.
no
Nomination.....
nominated january 20 , 2017
AOR Received.
March 31 , 2017
IELTS Request
send with application
File Transfer...
May 09 , 2017
Med's Request
no
Med's Done....
no
Interview........
yes
Passport Req..
no
VISA ISSUED...
no
LANDED..........
no
Now before medical or after medical and before PR visa if I marry in this Dec or January ...can I add wife with me? If try to add processing time may be more increase or may be any risk arises required wife documents and but fund is enough for 2 person . ..otherwise I marry and marriage certificate date fixed after PR card date and do not tell cic and LVO about marry .go alone and got PR Card after that back home after that announced i got married and start processing for wife back to Canada.
Please .someone advice me the best option for me.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just ask something out of curiosity, how about marrying a Canadian Citizen or PR?
Without having to read through 2 pages of various old posts what exactly is your question, please expand/clarify.

If about the previous poster #17 if landing as single but was actually married at the time of landing would be guilty of misrepresentation and whichever way you look at it would be impossible to sponsor the spouse at a later date.

If the spouse happened to be a citizen or PR then initial landing as single when actually married still misrepresentation involved and the person would put their newly acquired PR status in doubt should it ever come to light, easier than anyone might think given any future government form filling involving the new PR and their citizen/PR spouse.

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi there,

I'm planning to get married, just quick question,
Right now i am just waiting for the confirmation for PR. I submitted the documents and paid the fees on July 10, 2020. Now waiting for the result..

If i get married and add my spose to my application, if all goes well with her background check and medical, would i still get the PR? Or by adding my spouse to the application will affect the CRS Point and have to wait for the CRS point reach the minimum requirement?

Also what are my spouse documents that would be asked by IRCC ??

Johnjacobb

May 19, 2020
Hi there,

I'm planning to get married, just quick question,
Right now i am just waiting for the confirmation for PR. I submitted the documents and paid the fees on July 10, 2020. Now waiting for the result..

If i get married and add my spose to my application, if all goes well with her background check and medical, would i still get the PR? Or by adding my spouse to the application will affect the CRS Point and have to wait for the CRS point reach the minimum requirement?

Also what are my spouse documents that would be asked by IRCC ??
1. I got this email from IRCC about adding a spouse. See below.

2. Adding spouse does NOT change CRS if you add them after application lock in date.

If you are the principal applicant of a permanent residence application already in process, you could add your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children to your application, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependant in the initial application.

To do so, we invite you to send your add-on request through the IRCC webform available on our website. You can attach the following forms and documents in the field reserved to that effect:

Useful tips

• If you need information to fill out the forms, please consult the Fill out the forms section of the instruction guide found in the application kit that you have initially used to apply.
  • If the newly eligible family member is a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child who is already a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, only a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship and a letter of explanation are required.
  • It may be impossible to add a member of your family to the application if a final decision has already been made.
We hope you will find this information helpful.

Your add-on request will be evaluated by the responsible office. You will be contacted when a decision will be made or if further information is required

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
1. I got this email from IRCC about adding a spouse. See below.

2. Adding spouse does NOT change CRS if you add them after application lock in date.

If you are the principal applicant of a permanent residence application already in process, you could add your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children to your application, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependant in the initial application.

To do so, we invite you to send your add-on request through the IRCC webform available on our website. You can attach the following forms and documents in the field reserved to that effect:

Useful tips

• If you need information to fill out the forms, please consult the Fill out the forms section of the instruction guide found in the application kit that you have initially used to apply.
  • If the newly eligible family member is a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child who is already a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, only a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship and a letter of explanation are required.
  • It may be impossible to add a member of your family to the application if a final decision has already been made.
We hope you will find this information helpful.

Your add-on request will be evaluated by the responsible office. You will be contacted when a decision will be made or if further information is required

Thank you very much for the reply.

Another question, that supporting documents are my spouse documents right? Since I already submitted my documents already, would they ask for my documents too?? Also, she will not be needing an english test then ?

Thanks again

HITEN##!

Nov 25, 2019
Mumbai
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
NOC 0621
I already have my PNP nomination and sent my PR application to buffalo last june, my wedding is on March 2011 so I just hope I'll have my PR application approved by that time, if not yet, I'll just give them a call then...

Thanks a lot..
I will recommend that you do court marriage and update IRCC about marriage. Partner visa takes more time...

mv1017

Star Member
Oct 31, 2019
Hi. I have a question. My application is on process under Homechild care and I have a fiancé who is a Canadian citizen. We are planning to get married instead in December this year. Is anyone has an idea how it will effect my application? I'm done with my medical and biometrics and waiting for the work permit already but its taking so long. 2years now since we applied. Thanks

dianadsza77

Nov 15, 2021
So i have a question. I am planning on getting married in january 2021. can me and my spouse then apply for express entry in february 2021? or is there a certain time we have to wait after getting married to immigrate?

Merinanna

Mar 31, 2022
When you want to get married during or shortly after your PR application processing, you have two options.

1) You advise the visa office that you are getting married and will be adding your spouse to your application. Immigration can hold off on your visa until you have gotten married and added your spouse.
Positive: you and your spouse get your visas at the same time and start your new life in Canada together
Negative: if your spouse is denied based on medicals or background checks, you will be denied too

2) You get your PR as a single person, land as a single person and get married after you have landed as a PR. Then you sponsor your spouse for PR.
Positive: your spouse can not be refused for having medical problems as long as they don't have something highly contagious that could put Canadian public at risk as well as if your spouse doesn't pass background checks, it will only affect their PR, not yours
Negative: Sponsoring your spouse may take a long time (12-18 months) during which you as a PR sponsor must reside in Canada while your spouse may not be able to get a visa to join you

If you are expecting your passport request a week before you get married, option 2) may be out unless you are willing to postpone the wedding.

What is not an option is a mix of 1) and 2). You may not get your visa as a single person and then get married before you land and then still land on the visa you got while you were single. Not updating immigration that you got married is considered misrepresentation or fraud and if you do this and afterwards try to add or sponsor your spouse, you could lose your PR and you would definitely be barred from ever sponsoring your spouse in that case.
Hi, I submitted all my documents after I got invite for PR. and I have completed my biometrics and medical as well. I am currently waiting for my COPR is it okay if I get married in the mean time or should I wait till I complete all the process?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
No, getting married is against Canadian law. KIDDING! OF COURSE you can get married - you'll have to send them a web form informing them of a change to your personal details. They will likely ask you to update the declarations you've made to include your new wife's details and whether he/she is coming to Canada.

Assuming you are in genuine in relationships, it is up to you to decide on the best time to get married - if you feel it's better to do so after the stress of waiting for CoPR then do it after CoPR. If you feel now is the right time then do it now, but beware that IRCC will ask questions.

Reactions: Merinanna

Merinanna

Mar 31, 2022
No, getting married is against Canadian law. KIDDING! OF COURSE you can get married - you'll have to send them a web form informing them of a change to your personal details. They will likely ask you to update the declarations you've made to include your new wife's details and whether he/she is coming to Canada.

Assuming you are in genuine in relationships, it is up to you to decide on the best time to get married - if you feel it's better to do so after the stress of waiting for CoPR then do it after CoPR. If you feel now is the right time then do it now, but beware that IRCC will ask questions.
Thank you for your response

Merinanna

Mar 31, 2022

I got married Also I got pr approved so I have created the web form and adding all the documents of my husband, hoping for the best.

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
When you want to get married during or shortly after your PR application processing, you have two options.

1) You advise the visa office that you are getting married and will be adding your spouse to your application. Immigration can hold off on your visa until you have gotten married and added your spouse.
Positive: you and your spouse get your visas at the same time and start your new life in Canada together
Negative: if your spouse is denied based on medicals or background checks, you will be denied too

2) You get your PR as a single person, land as a single person and get married after you have landed as a PR. Then you sponsor your spouse for PR.
Positive: your spouse can not be refused for having medical problems as long as they don't have something highly contagious that could put Canadian public at risk as well as if your spouse doesn't pass background checks, it will only affect their PR, not yours
Negative: Sponsoring your spouse may take a long time (12-18 months) during which you as a PR sponsor must reside in Canada while your spouse may not be able to get a visa to join you

If you are expecting your passport request a week before you get married, option 2) may be out unless you are willing to postpone the wedding.

What is not an option is a mix of 1) and 2). You may not get your visa as a single person and then get married before you land and then still land on the visa you got while you were single. Not updating immigration that you got married is considered misrepresentation or fraud and if you do this and afterwards try to add or sponsor your spouse, you could lose your PR and you would definitely be barred from ever sponsoring your spouse in that case.

Hi there.

I have a similar situation. But i have already maried and i notify the CIC through webform about the changes but not updates yet. They asked my for my declaration form and submitted as well. And now they are asking for my passport to be submitted to the VAC.

How do I add my spouse to the application? Do i need to create another application in my account for her ?? Or do i wait until cic ask for my spouse's documents ? I was also thinking to send my spouse's passport to the VAC since I also put her name to the form that they asked me to fill-in and send with the passport and photo.

Kindly advise.

Thanks!