+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting married while pr application in process

vrixer

Jun 8, 2010
planning to get married while pr application in process, is it possible?
what will be the consequences?

need your response..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are getting married to a Canadian citizen or PR, it will not affect your application at all. If you are getting married to a non-citizen/non-PR, you will need to update your PR application to include your spouse.

vrixer

Jun 8, 2010
im getting married with a non-citizen/non-PR, how can i update my PR application? can you help me with this one...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are applying under a PNP? If you are in the process of applying for your PNP nomination, contact the PNP. If you have already gotten the nomination and have already applied for your PR, you know where you sent your PR application so contact that office and let them know and ask them what the next steps are.

vrixer

Jun 8, 2010
I already have my PNP nomination and sent my PR application to buffalo last june, my wedding is on March 2011 so I just hope I'll have my PR application approved by that time, if not yet, I'll just give them a call then...

Thanks a lot..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vrixer said:
I already have my PNP nomination and sent my PR application to buffalo last june, my wedding is on March 2011 so I just hope I'll have my PR application approved by that time, if not yet, I'll just give them a call then...

Thanks a lot..
It is important that you either land as a PR BEFORE you get married or if you are already married by the time your application gets approved and you get your visa that you DO NOT land before adding your spouse to your file.

The reason is that immigration will look at it as misrepresentation if you land as a single person after you have already married. It will bar you from sponsoring your spouse in the future as well as it may cause your own PR to get cancelled.

Do you currently or in the near future qualify as common law married? That is after living together for 12 months or more. If that is the case, you must ask to add your spouse to your application as soon as you qualify as common law. Otherwise it will be seen as misrepresentation etc.

redge

Star Member
May 7, 2010
hi,
I'm also confused, me and my fiance applied as "common law partner" last year and got the approval last march 2010, we are currently waiting for our medical request, can we get married?? i mean will it affect the processing of our papers? from common law partner to married status? thanks alot!

viel

Aug 24, 2009
@Leon,

Hi, I would like to ask regarding my situation, I applied as provincial nominee last sept 2008. I got married by july 2009.I got my nomination just last week. i never send any notification to AINP about this changes. Since i got my nomination, so i need to apply for my PR but don't know if i could still go though on this since my status was changed and I did not notify them.

Hoping for your advice.

Thanks.

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear leon,
i was married before sending full application to the visa office . when i sent initial application to the CIO in dec ,09, i was unmarried then. i notified of the fact of marriage in the cover letter while sending the full documents of mine and my spouse . i sent full docs in may 2010. now m application is in process from Oct ,10.but some of my friends gut med. rq but i am still waiting for the med. req since then. does my marital status change delay prolong the case processing? if it delays, how?
could you please share the experience .
imu

izagonzales

Nov 5, 2010
hi everybody

if u inform the VO tht ui got married b4 getting the meds ur safe

if after the meds better keep quite and later u can sponser the wife - coz if u inform now it will delay tooooo much ur pplication.

rgd

imu said:
dear leon,
i was married before sending full application to the visa office . when i sent initial application to the CIO in dec ,09, i was unmarried then. i notified of the fact of marriage in the cover letter while sending the full documents of mine and my spouse . i sent full docs in may 2010. now m application is in process from Oct ,10.but some of my friends gut med. rq but i am still waiting for the med. req since then. does my marital status change delay prolong the case processing? if it delays, how?
could you please share the experience .
imu

Reactions: ZAJAMIL

redge

Star Member
May 7, 2010
Hi, so much better to get married before the medical? in my case i and my fiance were approved under " common law partner " status, and were panning to get married while waiting for our medical request, is it possible? Thanks alot!

rmddaharwal

May 12, 2016
Hi Guys,

I have submitted my ITA on Nov, 15th 2016 and currently the Status is showing as :
Medical Review: Passed (This status changed on 23rd dec) - Nothing happened after that on my application.
Background: Not Started

Now, my wedding is fixed and I am going to get married in April, 2nd week. So , I am concerned if I won't get my PR before that, then it would be a problem.

any help on this.

Thanks,
Rishi

Simplesim

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Rishi..!! Congrats on your wedding...It won't affect your pr..U can add ur spouse..U need to inform CIC regarding teh changes along with required supporting documents

rmddaharwal

May 12, 2016
Simplesim said:
Rishi..!! Congrats on your wedding...It won't affect your pr..U can add ur spouse..U need to inform CIC regarding teh changes along with required supporting documents
Thank you.

Appreciate your help. Until what time/step I can add my Spouse to my Application ?

For example: lets say I get the Passport request in April 1st week, and I am getting married in 2nd week and I have to go to india that time. So what would be the best option ?

any suggestion ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rmddaharwal said:
Thank you.

Appreciate your help. Until what time/step I can add my Spouse to my Application ?

For example: lets say I get the Passport request in April 1st week, and I am getting married in 2nd week and I have to go to india that time. So what would be the best option ?

any suggestion ?
When you want to get married during or shortly after your PR application processing, you have two options.

1) You advise the visa office that you are getting married and will be adding your spouse to your application. Immigration can hold off on your visa until you have gotten married and added your spouse.
Positive: you and your spouse get your visas at the same time and start your new life in Canada together
Negative: if your spouse is denied based on medicals or background checks, you will be denied too

2) You get your PR as a single person, land as a single person and get married after you have landed as a PR. Then you sponsor your spouse for PR.
Positive: your spouse can not be refused for having medical problems as long as they don't have something highly contagious that could put Canadian public at risk as well as if your spouse doesn't pass background checks, it will only affect their PR, not yours
Negative: Sponsoring your spouse may take a long time (12-18 months) during which you as a PR sponsor must reside in Canada while your spouse may not be able to get a visa to join you

If you are expecting your passport request a week before you get married, option 2) may be out unless you are willing to postpone the wedding.

What is not an option is a mix of 1) and 2). You may not get your visa as a single person and then get married before you land and then still land on the visa you got while you were single. Not updating immigration that you got married is considered misrepresentation or fraud and if you do this and afterwards try to add or sponsor your spouse, you could lose your PR and you would definitely be barred from ever sponsoring your spouse in that case.