+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting married while application is in process

rubycute

Feb 4, 2007
I am planning to get married but my skilled worker application dated Apr. 18, 2005 is still in process, my inquiry is, will this change in my marital status delay the processing time for my application? What will I do or submit after getting married? Please give your inputs. Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rubycute said:
I am planning to get married but my skilled worker application dated Apr. 18, 2005 is still in process, my inquiry is, will this change in my marital status delay the processing time for my application? What will I do or submit after getting married? Please give your inputs. Thanks in advance.
It shouldn't at this stage, your spouse will have to submit, IMM 008, Schedule 1, copy passport, pictures, birth certificate, marriage cert., IMM 5406 , PCCs and any local forms required, as well you will have to amend your IMM 008, Schedule 1, and 5406.

PMM

rubycute

Feb 4, 2007
PMM,

Thanks for your reply, I heard that a delay in my application will be possible as my spouse will have to undergo medical examination and security check. My plan is to sponsor my wife only after I arrive in Canada for this is what I think is best so as not to delay my application. Whats your advise on this? Thanks again.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rubycute said:
PMM,

Thanks for your reply, I heard that a delay in my application will be possible as my spouse will have to undergo medical examination and security check. My plan is to sponsor my wife only after I arrive in Canada for this is what I think is best so as not to delay my application. Whats your advise on this? Thanks again.
If you marry and then "land' your visa is no longer valid and your spouse would not be considered a member of the family and can never be sponsored. As you probably not have had medicals as yet there should be no delay.

PMM

missjian

Jun 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
feb 2011
Med's Request
may 2011
Interview........
waived
hi pMm i have a question like hers but the difference is iv already done with my medicals and planning to get married next month.,i plan to update my status before landing to canada will i have to wait my husband's application before i can land or can i still land once i updated my status?!thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
missjian said:
hi pMm i have a question like hers but the difference is iv already done with my medicals and planning to get married next month.,i plan to update my status before landing to canada will i have to wait my husband's application before i can land or can i still land once i updated my status?!thanks
You'll have to wait for your husband's application to be processed before the visa can be issued.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
rubycute said:
PMM,

If you marry before you land, you have to tell the visa office and get your spouse added to your application. If you don't, and then land claiming you are single, you will never be able to sponsor your spouse, and your own PR might be revoked.
If you want to sponsor your wife after you land as a PR, then get married to her after you land.

FFB1988

Sep 20, 2011
Hi,

I have a quasrtion regarding getting married and applying as skilled worker. Me and my fiance are both graduate students in Canada, and we are going to apply as skilled workers. I want to know which of following conditions are better for us:

1- Getting married and then apply for immigration together.
2- Each of us apply for immigration independently, and getting married after recieving our permanent residency.

Thanks for you help in forward,