+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married to my Common Law Partner after getting our visa

nikki88

May 30, 2021
Hi! I need your insights.

Me and my Common Law Partner (7 yrs cohabitating) has been approved on both of our visas. Me as a Temporary Foreign worker and my Common Law Partner for Open Work Permit. I declared my partner during my application as TFW.

We're still here in the Philippines and I might be deployed by my work agency to travel to Canada by April 2023. The question goes:

1. Can me and my Common Law Partner get married by March 2023 before we fly to Canada in April 2023 onwards?
2. Will it be a problem if we will update our agency and IRCC about our marital status change when we land in Canada because it will take a few weeks for us to get our marriage certificate
3. Can we fly in April as common law partner and just update altogether once we have all our documents and landed in Canada in April?

Hoping for your insights.

pinemaple

Star Member
Apr 27, 2022
Hi! I need your insights.

Me and my Common Law Partner (7 yrs cohabitating) has been approved on both of our visas. Me as a Temporary Foreign worker and my Common Law Partner for Open Work Permit. I declared my partner during my application as TFW.

We're still here in the Philippines and I might be deployed by my work agency to travel to Canada by April 2023. The question goes:

1. Can me and my Common Law Partner get married by March 2023 before we fly to Canada in April 2023 onwards?
2. Will it be a problem if we will update our agency and IRCC about our marital status change when we land in Canada because it will take a few weeks for us to get our marriage certificate
3. Can we fly in April as common law partner and just update altogether once we have all our documents and landed in Canada in April?

Hoping for your insights.
Hi @nikki88 how did it go? I'm planning to do the same but for PR application, worried about changing civil status and getting the marriage certificate since PSA takes a while. Any tips greatly appreciated!