+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married to Canadian citizen in July. Need advice.

moosetrail7

Dec 6, 2016
Hello. I'm going to be very blunt, I'm on a phone and hate typing on a phone.

Once, back in May2016, we decided that i would just "move" to Canada and apply for a visa extension upon arrival. I got detained in customs and investigated for 3 hours (duh, Idk what we thought would happen) There was significant evidence on my phone (which they searched) that i wasn't planning on leaving. The officer i was being investigated by let me stay until September 30th, 2016. He stapled some paper on my passport and let me go.

I complied and left in August, right before my visa was approved. So, I had a visa until May of this year but i didn't use it.

Now, I'm coming to visit him again this July and we plan on getting married. I'm only coming for one month.

Will this past issue with customs affect our application at all?

Were getting married in a court house. No big ceremony. He's an immigrant too so he doesn't have any family in Canada other than his parents. They will be there a long with a couple friends. Does this look fake?

We have a long history of traveling to see each other. Lots of pictures.

What should we do, get ready, or think about beforegetting married and applying?

Is there a way i can stay there with him while the application is processing, and how long will the process take?

I'm worried we won't be accepted because we met on the internet or something.

Thanks guys!!

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
moosetrail7 said:

Once, back in May2016, we decided that i would just "move" to Canada and apply for a visa extension upon arrival. I got detained in customs and investigated for 3 hours (duh, Idk what we thought would happen) There was significant evidence on my phone (which they searched) that i wasn't planning on leaving. The officer i was being investigated by let me stay until September 30th, 2016. He stapled some paper on my passport and let me go.

I complied and left in August, right before my visa was approved. So, I had a visa until May of this year but i didn't use it.

Now, I'm coming to visit him again this July and we plan on getting married. I'm only coming for one month.

Were getting married in a court house. No big ceremony. He's an immigrant too so he doesn't have any family in Canada other than his parents. They will be there a long with a couple friends. Does this look fake?

What should we do, get ready, or think about beforegetting married and applying?

Is there a way i can stay there with him while the application is processing, and how long will the process take?

Thanks guys!!t
From what you wrote, I don't think there will be any issue to come back in Canada. Even if you were interrogated when you came, the fact is that they let you in and you didn't overstay here illegally. Then you got a visa that you didn't use. This is a sign that you are not "desperately" trying to enter and remain here illegally.

Once here in Canada, after the wedding, you can apply inland and prolong your visitor visa while the application will be processed. You can also apply for an open work permit at the same time as PR.

Regarding your wedding, it might look suspicious. You might be requested to give more proofs that your relation is genuine, but in the end, I don't see it as a problem.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
moosetrail7 said:

Thanks guys!!
If they let you in till Sept. 30, I assume you are from a visa-exempt country. When you say your "visa" was approved, are you talking about a status extension? They aren't the same thing.

You getting detained is not at all unusual. That's why you don't want to look like you are moving to Canada before you get your PR.

Anyways, when you cross, you might find you are sent to secondary every time now. There's a good chance they've flagged you in the system . However, this is not a big deal as long as you are following the rules. Next time you cross, bring some proof of your ties to home, such as something showing you have a job and a home to return to. Also a good idea to have a bank statement on hand.

About the wedding, that all depends on the culture of your country. I assume since you are from a visa-exempt country, the civil wedding isn't an issue.

moosetrail7

Dec 6, 2016
Aquakitty said:
If they let you in till Sept. 30, I assume you are from a visa-exempt country. When you say your "visa" was approved, are you talking about a status extension? They aren't the same thing.

You getting detained is not at all unusual. That's why you don't want to look like you are moving to Canada before you get your PR.

Anyways, when you cross, you might find you are sent to secondary every time now. There's a good chance they've flagged you in the system . However, this is not a big deal as long as you are following the rules. Next time you cross, bring some proof of your ties to home, such as something showing you have a job and a home to return to. Also a good idea to have a bank statement on hand.

About the wedding, that all depends on the culture of your country. I assume since you are from a visa-exempt country, the civil wedding isn't an issue.
Yes it was a status extension. I am from the US. I applied to be able to stay until May 2017 so that my fiance and I could live together for a year and be eligible for common law. But i left and went home in August and it was accepted in September

moosetrail7

Dec 6, 2016
Aquakitty said:

Also, I have no idea what kind of papers would prove I'm still employed at number two jobs. Do you have an idea?

I live with my mother and I'm not paying any real bills under my name deceitmy car insurance. I'm 19 so things like my phone bill/electricity/lease is all under my mother's name.

Should i bring proof of school/receipt of tuition?

moosetrail7

Dec 6, 2016
moosetrail7 said:
Also, I have no idea what kind of papers would prove I'm still employed at number two jobs. Do you have an idea?

I live with my mother and I'm not paying any real bills under my name deceitmy car insurance. I'm 19 so things like my phone bill/electricity/lease is all under my mother's name.

Wow my typing is awful. *except My car isurance* is what i meant o say

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
moosetrail7 said:

Yes, proof of school is a good idea (assuming it's proof showing you need to return for it). And keep a bank statement that shows you have money in your account. Even if you do not intend to return to the US right away, you have to show you will return so they will let you in, I know it's pretty backwards. But, if you show you are prepared and aware of the rules, you shouldn't have a problem.

Americans aren't scrutinized for "genuine wedding" as much as people from high fraud countries. I hope you aren't getting married just for the immigration though, you can still go to Canada to live for the year if you want. Just don't say you are doing that at the border. Plans change, right?

If you were in school in the last 12 months, you can also qualify for the SWAP program. It's a working holiday visa for Americans. With a work permit you'd not have to worry about "living", as you are allowed to live and work in Canada for the duration: http://www.swap.ca/in_eng/partners.aspx#USA . The links are to the SWAP partners that offer the visa.

That's what my husband did when we first got together (we met online too).

You have 2 options for applying once you are married or common-law. Inland generally takes a lot longer, but it offers a work permit. Outland only takes 4-6 months for Americans, but no work permit. However you can get your full PR in the time it takes to get a work permit from inland. You can live in Canada as long as you keep renewing your status, which as you know isn't that hard to do. If you can, go for the SWAP work permit, and then you won't have to worry about visitor renewals.