18 Jan 2012 (No travel history)
Passport Req..
17-05-2012 (In Process on 31-05-2012)
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made (06 Jun 2012), passport received 11 Jun 2012
LANDED..........
End of June
Hello,

I am getting married in January and of course want my wife to get to Canada as soon as possible. I initially had thought it would be as easy as getting a TRV for her and then applying for PR later but I have come to know it isn't that simple. I am a PR and I surprisingly found that that makes it harder and longer to get a spouse to Canada? I know a friend who is not a PR but could get his wife here in 2 months. But in the case of a PR, the processing time is about 6 months on average? I did read about applying for a TRV after applying for PR (dual intent) but my future wife doesn't have a job/property or other 'strong ties' to India except her family. And well, I am guessing I would be a stronger tie, and so the chances of TRV are pretty meagre? I see most people here are going the Family sponsorship way without any mention of the TRV and so I am guessing getting my wife here with a TRV isn't happening? And that it WILL take about 6 months?

I am new here but I did go through posts in this forum and found a couple related to TRVs but just wanted to confirm. I am an Indian citizen but a PR of Canada.

Thank you in advance to who ever can respond.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to your well explained question it seems that you have a very good knowledge about Canadian visa and immigration matters.

I would suggest that a straight forward sponsorship application would be better in your case other than a TRV. Even if she get a TRV,she has to go back on the expiry of it and come again as PR. Moreover, as you said chance for getting the visitor visa is very dim because she may not be able to prove strong ties with India and her strong tie is in Canada!!.

However the decision is yours.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try for a TRV for her alongside your sponsorship application but the chances are not good for a spouse to be granted a TRV based on risk of overstay.

Being a PR as a sponsor as opposed to a citizen has no effect on processing time but as a PR, you must be in Canada to be able to sponsor.

If your friend is a citizen and got PR for his wife in 2 months, was extremely lucky. It usually takes 2 months just to approve you as a sponsor and then you still have to endure the processing time at the overseas visa office.

If your friend is a TFW and was not sponsoring his wife for PR but got a TRV or work permit for her, that could have gone both ways, they could have said risk of overstay and no visa for her.

India is not too bad though for PR sponsorship though, fairly fast.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know some one very close to me who got his wife under family class-Spouse, on the 136th day from their wedding in India. If either of you are lucky it would happen faster!.

swoop81

Dec 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
02 May 2012
Med's Done....
18 Jan 2012 (No travel history)
Passport Req..
17-05-2012 (In Process on 31-05-2012)
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made (06 Jun 2012), passport received 11 Jun 2012
LANDED..........
End of June
Thank you for your quick replies. Yes, I did read about a case where an applicant got a PR when applying for a TRV after she/he had already applied for a PR. So I guess we will apply for a TRV after we apply for the PR and see what happens. As far as I know there is no harm in trying. Anybody here have any luck with a TRV when a PR is in process? Most cases I read, the TRV was declined multiple times.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I entered Canada as a visitor on my passport. I applied for TRV within two weeks of arrival. I was very honest in my answers. I told CIC my living situation, my family situation, gave copies of my boyfriend's paystubs, etc. They initially gave me 3 months.

As it took 3 months to process my application, I applied again right away. I updated them on my situation. (My divorce was complete, so I had a filing number they could verify and explained I didn't want to have to leave Canada while we waited on my boyfriend's divorce certificate, blah blah boring stuff.) I was approved for another year.

Everyone I talked to at Immigration forums told me I wouldn't get approved. I'm going to go out on a limb and say my nationality (American) and my background check probably helped significantly. My advice is to be honest. Apply for TRV and if your wife gets denied... apply again. You may get a different agent that's having a better day...

Long story short, it can happen.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
An American does not get a TRV, because Americans are visa-exempt. They are allowed to visit for anywhere up to 6 months at the discretion of the border officer, simply by presenting themselves at a port of entry. What you got was a visitor record, not a TRV.

Non-visa-exempt spouses are routinely denied TRVs because they are considered high-risk to over-stay. You can try, and ensure that you present the strongest possible case for her approval based on her ties to India. New Delhi processes PR applications very quickly, the average time for 80% of applications is 6 months, quite often less.