+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married out side of canada to a non Canadian

Melissa222

Jul 24, 2014
My boyfriend is currently living in chile while I am living in Canada, I'm will be going to visit him in chile and get married to him while I am there so then we can both come back to Canada. What forms or papers would we need to fill out and how would I go about doing that, Should I start them before we are married, how long will the whole process take ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can start filling out the application forms before you get married but you can not apply for anything until then unless you live together as common law partners for 12 months, then you can apply to sponsor him as such.

It is not so easy that you can just marry him overseas and then you both get on a plane to Canada together. After getting married, you need to apply to sponsor him for PR and that can take months and in some cases over a year. As a Canadian, you may sponsor him even if you are visiting him in Chile at the time. However, if you are exclusively living in Chile, you would have to provide proof that you will be moving to Canada when he gets his PR. Him coming to Canada with you would depend on him getting a visa to enter Canada.