+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married on visitor visa?

MT83

Mar 2, 2017
Hi there, was hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions regarding a Canadian Marrying a British Citizen in Canada, but still intending to settle in the Uk.

My boyfriend and I are hoping to get married in Nova Scotia once his divorce is finalised. Does anyone know if his divorce being finalised so close to us intending to get married will have an effect on the process? We've been together about a year and a half and moved in together last April (2016) in the UK while I was on my 2-year youth mobility 5 working holiday visa.

I am Canadian but have been staying with my sig other in the UK on a Tourist visa since January (after re-entering the country after my work visa expired). We are trying to figure out the simplest way to go about getting married. Once I've left the country (and please correct me if I'm wrong), I believe there is a time period that must pass before I'm allowed back in the country, as well I think I have to apply and potentially pay for a fiance visa to be allowed to enter the country with the intention of getting married? Would it be easier for my sig other to come to Canada to be married there, as I've not been able to find anything about a fiance visa permitting him to come be married in Canada?

As well, he received a DUI approx. 3 years ago, and I'm uncertain on the rules for him visiting Canada. I've heard that he may not be allowed to enter since it is a criminal offence (he was arrested and held over night, I'm not sure if that makes a difference?). It was his only offence and has nothing before or since. But if this would be enough to keep him from entering as a tourist to Canada, could some sort of exception be made to allow him in the country to get married?

It's all a bit messy, but if anyone has any insight to the situation I'd appreciate any help I can get! :D

Michelle1978

Feb 28, 2017
You don't need a visa to get married. Plus, your boyfriend is british, he doesn't need a visa at all to come to Canada, if I'm not mistaken. Also, you are allowed to marry anyone you want in Canada, even a tourist. However just double check with your province since marriage is a provincial thing.

MT83

Mar 2, 2017
Thanks so much! I was worried I was missing out on something as when we were looking to get married here I'd have to apply for a fiance visa when going back to the UK. I didn't think he needed a tourist visa, but was just nervous about the DUI.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Re the DUI start here as generally that could stop anyone from entering the country until they have followed the rehab process http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/information/inadmissibility/index.asp