+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married - Need help with Wife Sponsorship

Star1988

Oct 23, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I am getting Married in March 2015. I understand my wife has to wait 12-14 months before she gets her sponsorship process completed.

Is there any other way (Visitor Visa or anything) that I can apply to get my wife here at-least for a minimum of 6 months? Is any extension possible after 6 months?

Kindly advise.

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
Which country is your wife from? If she is from a visa exempt country she can enter Canada as a visitor. Most visa exempt visitors get a 6 months visitors record. Before these 6 months are up you can apply for an extension. It is common to apply for an extension and wait it out for PR to be approved (I am doing this right now).

Star1988

Oct 23, 2014
She is from India. I have a couple of friends whose applications were rejected for Visitor visa when their sponsorship is in process.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
while it's very difficult to get a visitor visa when married to a canadian and applying for pr, it is not impossible. there are some applicants on this forum who have been successful. the key seems to be for the applicant to prove they have a reason to return to thir country when their visa expires. CIC automatically assumes having a spouse in canada means you're not likely to return home. So it's the applicant's responsiblity to prove ties to land, housing, or a job in their home country. generally, having family, a car or bank accounts to go back to are not considred strong enough ties. Also, Canadian sponsors make the mistake of showing their own financials to help prove the visitor will be taken care of. this can backfire, because CIC isn't concerned about the financials of the canadian, they are concerned with the financials and ties of the person applying for a visa. Lastly, how long the applicant asks to stay for can work against them. Generally it's been suggested to NOT ask for an initial stay for longer than 2-3 weeks because that is the "right" amount of time a normal everyday person would be able to travel away from the homelife without issue. Generally, it's tough to convince CIC the person will have ties to go back to if they are requesting months away from their home. Once the person is in, THEN they can apply to extend their stay for longer term.

generally, it has been reported to be easier to obtain a visitor visa BEFORE getting married and applying for pr. Once the person is in Canada, they can apply to extend their stay, and submit proof a pr application has been submitted. generally speaking, PR applicants are rarely refused extensions.

Either way, having a visitor visa refused will not negatively affect the pr application. If all else fails, and you, the sponsor are a canadian citizen, you can move to India during the processing to be with your wife if you choose. if you are a PR yourself, you will have to live in Canada until she is approved.

Star1988

Oct 23, 2014
Thank you rhcohen2014.

If I am applying for visitor visa, before getting married, will it hold a strong case as she has no other relative/family/friends in Canada other than me. What will be your advise in that case?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Star1988 said:
Thank you rhcohen2014.

If I am applying for visitor visa, before getting married, will it hold a strong case as she has no other relative/family/friends in Canada other than me. What will be your advise in that case?
i can't advise about applying for a visitor visa beyond what i read on this forum. i do not require a visa, so i am not familiar with the application. my suggestion is to go to the board on this forum specifically for visitors and/or find the thread here for PR applicants at the New Dehli visa office, and ask there. there will be more knowledgeable people there that can let you know what it takes to be successful in getting a visa.