+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married in the philippines - Questions

Elyssa

Jun 7, 2019
Hi,
I'm getting married in the philippines, this coming december, i just want to ask , how to get certificate of singleness here in canada?

Response will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi,
I'm getting married in the philippines, this coming december, i just want to ask , how to get certificate of singleness here in canada?

Response will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Are you in Canada? Canada doesn't issue a document like that. Or are you a Filipina asking how you can get a certificate from the PH when you are living in Canada? Provide more info of your situation please.

Elyssa

Jun 7, 2019
Are you in Canada? Canada doesn't issue a document like that. Or are you a Filipina asking how you can get a certificate from the PH when you are living in Canada? Provide more info of your situation please.

Hi, i am a filipina , currently residing here in canada and getting married in the philippines this december in catholic church.
One of the requirements is certificate of singleness coming from here in canada, as a proof that i'm not married here.
So , i wonder how can i get that here.

Thanks

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi, i am a filipina , currently residing here in canada and getting married in the philippines this december in catholic church.
One of the requirements is certificate of singleness coming from here in canada, as a proof that i'm not married here.
So , i wonder how can i get that here.

Thanks
Are you a PR in Canada or have dual Citizenship? I am Canadian and I got married in the PH. Canada doesn't have a certificate of singleness because there is no Federal data base of marriages. What I had to do was go to the consulate/embassy here, I went to Cebu, where you swear an affidavit before a Canadian official saying you have never been married before which fulfills the requirement.

Unless you are a Canadian citizen I don't know if you need something like that from Canada, if you do I don't know where to get it in Canada, you could get it here when you come back. Would have to be some gov't department, maybe check with a city hall where they issue marriage certificates, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

If you are still a Filipino citizen I am pretty sure you will have to get a CENOMAR when you get back here.

Hope this helps.

Elyssa

Jun 7, 2019
Are you a PR in Canada or have dual Citizenship? I am Canadian and I got married in the PH. Canada doesn't have a certificate of singleness because there is no Federal data base of marriages. What I had to do was go to the consulate/embassy here, I went to Cebu, where you swear an affidavit before a Canadian official saying you have never been married before which fulfills the requirement.

Unless you are a Canadian citizen I don't know if you need something like that from Canada, if you do I don't know where to get it in Canada, you could get it here when you come back. Would have to be some gov't department, maybe check with a city hall where they issue marriage certificates, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

If you are still a Filipino citizen I am pretty sure you will have to get a CENOMAR when you get back here.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! That's a great help.

Dindo1262

Aug 12, 2020
While you can re-marry in Hong Kong you still have to report your marriage at the Philippine consulate in Hong Kong in order for you ans your fiancee to secure a ROM in the PSA.

Yanick

Jul 19, 2022
I'm a Canadian born citizen in a relationship with a woman in the Philippines. We are considering marriage but there is a rock in the shoe: she has been abandoned by her husband when she was pregnant 11 years ago, without any contact from him, even after trying to seek him out (he essentially rejected his son before birth).

What would be the best course of action between trying to obtain an annulment and get married in the Philippines (requiring me to stay there for at least 30 days), or have her obtain a TRV and get married in Canada?

I'm asking because I presume either case will end up in spousal sponsorship, right? Are there other options?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
You are indeed between the proverbial rock and hard place. Getting an annulment is a long, tedious and expensive procedure in the PH. Until that is completed you can't legally get married there or here. Sounds like you are living in Canada so you can't claim common law nor conjugal as there is no impediment in the 2 of you being together.

Only suggestion would be to get her to Canada, live common law for a year then sponsor her as common law.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
... so you can't claim common law nor conjugal as there is no impediment in the 2 of you being together
If she cannot get a TRV (i.e. applies and gets rejected), she could apply as conjugal. (If she gets trv can apply after 12 months in Canada as common law)

Assuming of course the Canadian citizen cannot go and reside in PH.

Yanick

Jul 19, 2022
You are indeed between the proverbial rock and hard place. Getting an annulment is a long, tedious and expensive procedure in the PH. Until that is completed you can't legally get married there or here. Sounds like you are living in Canada so you can't claim common law nor conjugal as there is no impediment in the 2 of you being together.

Only suggestion would be to get her to Canada, live common law for a year then sponsor her as common law.
Could she get married in Canada? What are the requirements since she was abandoned 11 years ago. I would think that Canada does not regard her situation as married, no?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Could she get married in Canada? What are the requirements since she was abandoned 11 years ago. I would think that Canada does not regard her situation as married, no?
If they were married* in PH and have not been divorced anywhere, they are still married. And if so, they cannot be married in Canada until divorced. (I believe rules in Canada are that one of the two must be resident at least 12 months before availing themselves of courts to divorce)

*The poster wrote 'husband' so I assume that meant they'd been officially married. If they were never married, no issue;.

Reactions: YVR123

Yanick

Jul 19, 2022
If they were married* in PH and have not been divorced anywhere, they are still married. And if so, they cannot be married in Canada until divorced. (I believe rules in Canada are that one of the two must be resident at least 12 months before availing themselves of courts to divorce)

*The poster wrote 'husband' so I assume that meant they'd been officially married. If they were never married, no issue;.
The other man has left his pregnant wife, is now living with another woman in the Philippines, and the mother who raises her child alone gets punished? That is quite upsetting. It's hypocresy coming from a so-called Christian government.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
The other man has left his pregnant wife, is now living with another woman in the Philippines, and the mother who raises her child alone gets punished? That is quite upsetting. It's hypocresy coming from a so-called Christian government.
I agree with armoured that they are still married and must get an annulment in the PH for it to be valid, there is no divorce there. She would have a good case because of the abandonment but it still has to be done there. Since they are both Filipino citizens, if 1 of them tried to divorce abroad it would not be recognized in the PH or here. If a Filipino is married to an alien they can get divorced outside the PH and it will be recognized.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Since they are both Filipino citizens, if 1 of them tried to divorce abroad it would not be recognized in the PH or here. If a Filipino is married to an alien they can get divorced outside the PH and it will be recognized.
I don't believe that's correct about divorce - divorce is (in most places) based on residence, i.e. a PH citizen can get divorced in other places if they live there. So eg a PH living in Canada can get divorced and remarry (in Canada and most other places).

Large complication is that to have that divorce recognized in PH is another additional procedure (land lengthy and problematic).

Anyway not directly relevant to this case.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I don't believe that's correct about divorce - divorce is (in most places) based on residence, i.e. a PH citizen can get divorced in other places if they live there. So eg a PH living in Canada can get divorced and remarry (in Canada and most other places).

Large complication is that to have that divorce recognized in PH is another additional procedure (land lengthy and problematic).

Anyway not directly relevant to this case.
The OP should have the person in the PH to consult a lawyer there to get the official word.