+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married in the philippines - Questions

Chardilane

Nov 18, 2012
Hi Dolfan,

I called the cic yesterday and said I can apply for conjugal sponsorship. They sent me the link and application kit. They explained it to me on who qualifies. If you did not mention this, I have no idea that there will be an option

Thank you so much
God bless you.

Chardilane

Chardilane

Nov 18, 2012
Hi Dolfan,

I called the cic yesterday and said I can apply for conjugal sponsorship. They sent me the link and application kit. They explained it to me on who qualifies. If you did not mention this, I have no idea that there will be an option

Thank you so much
God bless you.

Chardilane

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Chardilane said:
Hi Dolfan,

Thank you so much
God bless you.

Chardilane
1. Sure you can apply for Conjugal, but whether it will be approved is a "horse of a different colour" As there is nothing stopping you from residing in the Philippines for a year to become common/law or getting married in a third country, there is a very good chance that it will be refused.

scos

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2012-08-01
AOR Received.
2012-10-16
Med's Request
2013-05-02
Med's Done....
2013-05-07
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
2013-05-02, In-Process: 2013-06-04, Decision Made: 2013-07-25
VISA ISSUED...
2013-07-30
LANDED..........
2013-08-18
I don't recall taking my birth certificate, I thought it was just the passport for the eligibility to marry certification. But I may be mistaken. Most of the stuff is pretty straightforward. All the marriage certificate stuff can be done in one day if you have everything. Then you just have to wait to receive if which is 2 weeks. The things that seem trivial but can actually catch you up are these:

1. There is a seminar for people getting married. You NEED this to get your marriage license. It takes a day (we lucked out with a half day due to an instructor not showing). The sooner you get this the better. If you get all the license stuff out of the way you will still need to return to give the proof of attending this course, so register for one and get it out of the way right away (and space can be limited, so try to get it booked in advance).

2. If you are getting married in a civil ceremony arrive there a few hours in advance. We almost missed getting married because the judge went home thinking we were no-shows. No one told us there was more paperwork to do before the ceremony so we arrived in time for the ceremony and never went to the offices. Luckily they were able to accommodate us and find someone else to marry us at the last minute. You can book your marriage time when completing the license but you need to arrive a few hours before the time they will give you for the final paperwork.

3. Put in the request for the marriage certificate immediately after as it can easily take 6 months or more for the certificate to snake its way through the system. The one you need is on the official NSO paper. We had photocopies that we were given but they ended up being completely useless. So get the process started the day after the wedding.

One final thought is that if she will be taking your name then she should apply for the name change and new documentation and passport immediately after the wedding as well. You don't want any of that happening during the PR process. Congratulations and good luck!

doljan

Sep 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
mnl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 24, 2012
Doc's Request.
mar 25, 2013
Med's Done....
apr 24, 2012
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
mar 25, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
apr 8, 2013
LANDED..........
apr 22, 2013
Chardilane said:
Hi Dolfan,

Thank you so much
God bless you.

Chardilane
before you apply, check all the info you need and be sure to have it covered... all info needed are found in the CIC website...

Chardilane

Nov 18, 2012
Hi PMM, getting married to another country is not an option either.cuz i am still a filipino citizen. As we are required to submit the documents to the Philippine embassy. And it will forwarded to NSO who will issue a marriage licence.

Thanks for your reply.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
scos said:
1. There is a seminar for people getting married. You NEED this to get your marriage license.
Your mileage may vary by municipality . . . this was NOT required of us to get our marriage license.

doljan

Sep 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
mnl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 24, 2012
Doc's Request.
mar 25, 2013
Med's Done....
apr 24, 2012
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
mar 25, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
apr 8, 2013
LANDED..........
apr 22, 2013
Chardilane said:
Hi Dolfan,

Thanks for your advice i will surely do that, Again thank you very much.

Chardilane.
welcome....

netmicaller

Feb 12, 2013
Greetings Atty. Cohen! :D

I am a Filipina living and working here in Italy for more than 10 years. I am engaged to my Canadian boyfriend for a year now and we have both decided to get married. We plan to go to the Philippines to marry, afterwhich, file the spouse visa there and at the same time wait for the release. He would like to go back to Canada with me. We plan to stay for quite a time in Manila, to work while having some fun together with my family before I finally leave for Canada. Here are my queries:

1) Can he file for the spouse visa at the Canadian Embassy in Manila?
2) What will be the requirements?
3) How long do we have to wait in case he can file it there?
4) As a Canadian Citizen, can he stay and work in Manila for a long period of time
say, more than 6 months? Will there be disadvantages with regards to the spouse visa application?

Thank you so much. Your response will be highly appreciated. God bless..

Raquel

doljan

Sep 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
mnl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 24, 2012
Doc's Request.
mar 25, 2013
Med's Done....
apr 24, 2012
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
mar 25, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
apr 8, 2013
LANDED..........
apr 22, 2013
hi netmicaller, this is a forum discussion page and maybe for atty. cohen to address that is by sending him email.

and all the answers of your queries are found in CIC website.....

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
netmicaller said:
1) Can he file for the spouse visa at the Canadian Embassy in Manila?
2) What will be the requirements?
3) How long do we have to wait in case he can file it there?
4) As a Canadian Citizen, can he stay and work in Manila for a long period of time
say, more than 6 months? Will there be disadvantages with regards to the spouse visa application?
In short . . .
1) As long as he is Canadian Citizen, yes he can sponsor you (spouse) from abroad.
2) Too many to list, as stated they are all on CIC web-site.
3) Posted processing timeline for Manila is 12 months.
4) Foreigners are not legally allowed to work in the Philippines, it's stealing jobs from Filipinos. Disadvantage is that you both must PROVE that you intend to settle in Canada after PR is granted.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Chardilane said:
Hi I am a filipino permanent card holder here in Canada. I am divorced with my filipino husband. I am marrying my fiancee in the Philippines. What are the things that i need to get marry? Is the Canadian embassy in the Philippines will ask for some documentations?

Your reply is very well appreciated.

Thanks

Chardilane.
Chardilane said:
Thanks for your reply but getting annulled in the Philippines will cost too much money. Is there any options i can do to make this marriage possible?

Thanks

Chardilane
Chardilane, so both you and your previous Filipino husband were married in the Philippines and divorced in Canada? Is that right? And now you want to marry again but you feel that you can't because the Philippines won't recognize your Canadian divorce? Is that correct?
There was a member here who I was reading her posts just recently, same situation, and they married in Hong Kong.

yani0214

Feb 25, 2013
hello evryone, I need help
Me and my canadian boyfriend are planning to get married this comming September 2013. Im already aware about the legal capacity of marriage requirement however I still have some questions I hope somebody can help me.My boyfriend visited me here last month January 2013, we went to canada embassy in makati to apply for LCM. After filling up form and paying 2000pesos they gave us "Statutory Declaration" which indicate an affidavit of no marriage on my boyfriend side.it is valid only for 6 months. Then I went to our local civil registrar in my province to ask about for the process of Legal Capacity of Marriage document and I presented the statutory decalaration we got from embassy, she said since we will be getting married this September we need again to get a new Statutory declaration from the embassy in makati and the LCM will takes 10 days process, we need the LCM so that we can apply for our marriage license. The problem is the wedding will be on 2nd week of September 14 and my boyfriend can stay only here from September 6-21,because of his job..Our local civil registar can only accept our statutory declaration on monday september 9 and they can able to release the LCM on September 19 (10days)..Is there any way for us to make it easier..Can my boyfriend get that statutory declaration in canada and send to me here in philippines on July or August before the month of our marriage and I will be the one who can bring that again that paper in our local civil registar?or he really needs to be here for us to go back again to embassy in makati.