+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married in September, just looking for advice!

Diegof09

Star Member
Dec 28, 2015
So I'm getting married in September (if Coronavirus lets us) I'm a dual citizen Canada-Mexico. My girlfriend is mexican and lives in Tijuana, I live in Saskatoon, but I'm in Mexico at the moment, probably going back as soon as my work starts up again. We just got engaged but we don't want to wait a long to get married.

I've read some information here and on CIC website. Some of the questions I have are:

1- If we get married in September can she come with me to Canada and then apply for PR from Canada? I know that while we are waiting we can also apply for an OPW, does it take long for the OPW? I know for PR it can take up to a year.

2- If we were to get married legally and then I go back to Canada, if we start the application process, while she is in Mexico we wouldn't be able to apply for an OWP?

3- If that's the case, our financial situation isn't bad, but it would help a lot if she could work while she gets the PR, so what's the best advice? Have a long PR waiting time but being able to work? Or shorter PR process but not being able to work?

Also any help in revalidation of university degree and such? She's a physiologist! And I live in Saskatoon

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So I'm getting married in September (if Coronavirus lets us) I'm a dual citizen Canada-Mexico. My girlfriend is mexican and lives in Tijuana, I live in Saskatoon, but I'm in Mexico at the moment, probably going back as soon as my work starts up again. We just got engaged but we don't want to wait a long to get married.

I've read some information here and on CIC website. Some of the questions I have are:

1- If we get married in September can she come with me to Canada and then apply for PR from Canada? I know that while we are waiting we can also apply for an OPW, does it take long for the OPW? I know for PR it can take up to a year.

2- If we were to get married legally and then I go back to Canada, if we start the application process, while she is in Mexico we wouldn't be able to apply for an OWP?

3- If that's the case, our financial situation isn't bad, but it would help a lot if she could work while she gets the PR, so what's the best advice? Have a long PR waiting time but being able to work? Or shorter PR process but not being able to work?

Also any help in revalidation of university degree and such? She's a physiologist! And I live in Saskatoon
1. If she can get an approved eTA she can come to Canada. OWP takes 4-5 months if all goes according to plan.
2. Correct. No OWP.
3. See if she can get an eTA.

Diegof09

Star Member
Dec 28, 2015
1. If she can get an approved eTA she can come to Canada. OWP takes 4-5 months if all goes according to plan.
2. Correct. No OWP.
3. See if she can get an eTA.
Thanks for your reply!

I don't see why she wouldn't be able to get an eTA. I've done some for my siblings when coming to visit. Obviously with the situation right now, it wouldn't be possible at this instant, but once things open up, I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
very hard to plan ahead with covid 19. Will really depend on airlines, what covid infection rates are like in Mexico and many other things.

Reactions: Diegof09