+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married in December - Looking for Advice ASAP!!

Dogfather

Jun 5, 2018
My girlfriend and I are in a particular situation that has been proving to be quite difficult to have me reside in Canada as a visitor, then marry. We plan to marry in December but I am only allowed to stay until mid-October. The border gave me a very hard time just trying to bring some of my belongings and then stated once my visitor FILE (not visa) was up I needed to leave and that the next time I come back I have to have a valid reason/visa in place.

**I will also state that I do not have a home/apartment to stay back in the US. I only have my mother's condominium to go to and she still lives there.

My plan is to contact immigration and extend my stay into either November (for Thanksgiving holiday we will celebrate in the US) which means I will leave and then cross the border again (I could then state that I plan to wed in December and plan to stay in Canada) or extend my stay into January because we plan to wed December 22nd 2018.

Here is where it gets tricky: we plan to wed in Costa Rice so I could see some possible complications with flying in and out of Canada with my not being a PR or Citizen, is that an actual concern? or it doesn't matter because we are just flying?

I have also heard mention of applying Outland in Buffalo, New York. Is that for a visitors visa?

And a big questions I have is, if they're giving me a hard time about staying in Canada but I have a good reason to visit (getting married and applying for whatever I may need - work visa, PR card) am I able to cross the border and then return to extend my stay. Almost like resetting my time limit on my stays??

We are both dog trainers and my girlfriend can support me for the time being but I have a specific set of skills that she needs for her business. I can't stand doing being idle in the meantime and want to get started getting in the right direction!!! Should I be getting started on any visas in particular or I can't apply for anything until I am married?

Any and all advice is much appreciated and I apologize for the lack of organization.

chelsea9876

Aug 23, 2018
Category........
LANDED..........
14-01-2011
My girlfriend and I are in a particular situation that has been proving to be quite difficult to have me reside in Canada as a visitor, then marry. We plan to marry in December but I am only allowed to stay until mid-October. The border gave me a very hard time just trying to bring some of my belongings and then stated once my visitor FILE (not visa) was up I needed to leave and that the next time I come back I have to have a valid reason/visa in place.

**I will also state that I do not have a home/apartment to stay back in the US. I only have my mother's condominium to go to and she still lives there.

My plan is to contact immigration and extend my stay into either November (for Thanksgiving holiday we will celebrate in the US) which means I will leave and then cross the border again (I could then state that I plan to wed in December and plan to stay in Canada) or extend my stay into January because we plan to wed December 22nd 2018.

Here is where it gets tricky: we plan to wed in Costa Rice so I could see some possible complications with flying in and out of Canada with my not being a PR or Citizen, is that an actual concern? or it doesn't matter because we are just flying?

I have also heard mention of applying Outland in Buffalo, New York. Is that for a visitors visa?

And a big questions I have is, if they're giving me a hard time about staying in Canada but I have a good reason to visit (getting married and applying for whatever I may need - work visa, PR card) am I able to cross the border and then return to extend my stay. Almost like resetting my time limit on my stays??

We are both dog trainers and my girlfriend can support me for the time being but I have a specific set of skills that she needs for her business. I can't stand doing being idle in the meantime and want to get started getting in the right direction!!! Should I be getting started on any visas in particular or I can't apply for anything until I am married?

Any and all advice is much appreciated and I apologize for the lack of organization.

First things first. Are you both single? If yes, you can contact an agent that can help you to lengthen your stay here. Agents for immigration are way cheaper than hiring or seeking legal advises from a professional lawyer.

Reactions: Dogfather

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
First things first. Are you both single? If yes, you can contact an agent that can help you to lengthen your stay here. Agents for immigration are way cheaper than hiring or seeking legal advises from a professional lawyer.
???

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You can apply for an extension but visitor status ends when you leave Canada, so even if you are granted an extension, it doesn't mean anything when you return. You will be evaluated as a new visitor.

If you are flying to Costa Rica from Canada, I seriously suggest you not leave in November. You have been flagged by CBSA and can expect much higher scrutiny on any future entries. With no US ties, you would most likely be refused re-entry from your Thanksgiving holiday. It is also entirely possible that you will be refused when flying back from Costa Rica.

If you want to make it easier and speed things up, get legally married now and get the sponsorship app in. You have much better chances at the border if you already have a spousal sponsorship app in process.

Reactions: Dogfather

Dogfather

Jun 5, 2018
Thanks for the advice canuck _in_uk!!! That is what our plans were looking more towards because the border gave me quite a hard time when I crossed with a few of my possessions (books and clothes). So I could easily seem them refusing me if I don't have anything processing or in place. I can also still claim citizenship in the US and my address as my mothers.

Chelsea9876
What do you mean single? We are in a relationship but not married so I am assuming you are saying I can contact an immigration agent instead of legal assistance.