+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married in Canada

FrAA

Jan 7, 2013
Hello,

I have a question regarding marriage in Canada.
Me and my Canadian girlfriend wish to marry in Canada, yet we don't know how to exactly apply for it.
We saw on this one website that you need to have with you one valid piece of ID to prove your identity. Is that all?
Also, can my girlfriend go for a marriage license without me being present? Can she can go and do all this with my permission?

Thanks!

JustMarried81

Sep 3, 2012
Luxembourg
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6th 2013
AOR Received.
July 5th 2013
Med's Done....
Jan 21st 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Accepted Jan 16 landing End of May! :)
FrAA said:
Hello,

Me and my Canadian girlfriend wish to marry in Canada, yet we don't know how to exactly apply for it.
We saw on this one website that you need to have with you one valid piece of ID to prove your identity. Is that all?
Also, can my girlfriend go for a marriage license without me being present? Can she can go and do all this with my permission?

Thanks!
You go to city hall and apply there. It's what I did 2 weeks ago.

You need 2 proofs of ID! Get your passport, Drivers license! Or country/state ID with you! You need 2 Id's remember that!

Yes after you are married you guys get a marriage certificate, and you can order one offline later on. You do not need to be there.

kitchener_inland

Jul 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Kitchener
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2011: application received
Doc's Request.
07-21-2011: received AIP & PPR request
LANDED..........
26-10-2012
FrAA said:
Hello,

Thanks!

from my experience you have to have at least 2 valid pieces of ideas. and again in my experience we both (me and my wife) had to be present to do the paper signing. she can't sign for you.
do you live in Canada? because its pretty straightforward.

Peterpan12

Feb 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-2012
AOR Received.
06-2012
File Transfer...
06-2012
Med's Done....
03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-2013
LANDED..........
Hopefully 02-2013
Marriage License and Marriage Certificate are two totally different things, at least here in Ontario!

You will need to obtain a Marriage License from your local municipal office first and foremost. This can be done by filling out the forms that can be presented to the licensing office by either one of the applicants. (i.e either bride or groom can do this) But do remember you need to provide IDs for both of you. So if your fiance is going to get this done, she needs to have original IDs from you.

Once you have the license, you can proceed to formalize your marriage by any licensed officiate in Ontario. The officiate will verify your IDs and obviously for this part both parties have to be present! At the end of the ceremony the officiate will give you a portion of the Marriage License that has the license number and takes away the rest to mail to the Registrar in Ontario. They in turn will record the marriage. You will have to request for a Marriage Certificate either online or via mail for a nominal cost.

This only applies to Ontario.

FrAA

Jan 7, 2013
kitchener_inland said:
from my experience you have to have at least 2 valid pieces of ideas. and again in my experience we both (me and my wife) had to be present to do the paper signing. she can't sign for you.
do you live in Canada? because its pretty straightforward.
No, I don't live in Canada. That's why I thought she could do it with my permission.
Two pieces won't be an issue, but it's just me going all the way over there to apply that might be a difficulty. Right now, I still have other obligations in my homecountry.

FrAA

Jan 7, 2013
Peterpan12 said:
Marriage License and Marriage Certificate are two totally different things, at least here in Ontario!

You will need to obtain a Marriage License from your local municipal office first and foremost. This can be done by filling out the forms that can be presented to the licensing office by either one of the applicants. (i.e either bride or groom can do this) But do remember you need to provide IDs for both of you. So if your fiance is going to get this done, she needs to have original IDs from you.

Once you have the license, you can proceed to formalize your marriage by any licensed officiate in Ontario. The officiate will verify your IDs and obviously for this part both parties have to be present! At the end of the ceremony the officiate will give you a portion of the Marriage License that has the license number and takes away the rest to mail to the Registrar in Ontario. They in turn will record the marriage. You will have to request for a Marriage Certificate either online or via mail for a nominal cost.

This only applies to Ontario.
So technically, I don't need to be physically present for obtaining the Marriage License?

kitchener_inland

Jul 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Kitchener
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
LANDED..........
26-10-2012
FrAA said:
No, I don't live in Canada. That's why I thought she could do it with my permission.
Two pieces won't be an issue, but it's just me going all the way over there to apply that might be a difficulty. Right now, I still have other obligations in my homecountry.

if you are planning to get married in Canada then you probably have to sent both of your valid ids to your wife and she have to send you the application for your signature because by law she can't sign for you. if you are getting married in your home country then you just need to get the license and certificate from your country but they have to be certified translated to send to CIC.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
FrAA said:
So technically, I don't need to be physically present for obtaining the Marriage License?
In Alberta, we both had to be present and sign the form in front of the clerk.

ichbinella

Star Member
Dec 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Veg
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2012
Doc's Request.
29-09-2012
AOR Received.
15-06-2012 (AIP+OWP:06-12-2012)
Med's Request
29-09-2012
Med's Done....
06-11-2012 (appeared on ECAS:22-11-2012)
Interview........
NO INTERVIEW
Passport Req..
NO
VISA ISSUED...
June/july2013
LANDED..........
15aug2013,pr card received:15oct2013
I got married in Feb 2012 in Vancouver, BC.

My husband took my passport and arranged the Marriage license. I was not there with him physically. :)

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
FrAA said:
Hello,

Thanks!
This page contains everything you need to know about obtaining a marriage licence:

http://www.toronto.ca/marriage/index.htm

(Now you can even apply online...the link for the online application is on the above webpage as well).

That's for Toronto though...not sure in which city you want to get married, but I imagine the requirements should be pretty similar... :)

kitchener_inland

Jul 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Kitchener
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
LANDED..........
26-10-2012
fandv said:
This page contains everything you need to know about obtaining a marriage licence:

http://www.toronto.ca/marriage/index.htm

(Now you can even apply online...the link for the online application is on the above webpage as well).

That's for Toronto though...not sure in which city you want to get married, but I imagine the requirements should be pretty similar... :)

he still needs to sign it himself! and his wife should have 2 pieces of valid ids of him. I'm not sure if you can do that in other provinces but in Ontario they probably will allow you to not be present but the application have to be signed by both parties.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
kitchener_inland said:
he still needs to sign it himself! and his wife should have 2 pieces of valid ids of him. I'm not sure if you can do that in other provinces but in Ontario they probably will allow you to not be present but the application have to be signed by both parties.
Exactly. I know BC, you don't have to be, but Ontario you MUST be present.

kitchener_inland

Jul 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Kitchener
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
LANDED..........
26-10-2012
FrAA said:
can I ask which country do you live in? is it a visa exempt country?