+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting married, but worried

Besunshine

Star Member
Oct 18, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to see if anyone can answer my questions.

Here's some background info:
I am a Canadian citizen but my fiance is from Malaysia. He is currently on a 3 year PGWP that is expiring on June 13, 2013. We are getting married on May 26, 2012 and will apply for his PR (spousal sponsorship)right after we have our marriage certificate and pictures from our wedding/honeymoon ready, so probably in June 2012. We are planning on applying Inland, since our plan is for him to get AIP and an OWP--(it will be difficult to have only me working, since we will be newlyweds)

Questions:

1) We should apply for hiw OWP at the same time he submits his PR application, correct?

2) The current 1st stage inland processing times takes 11 months, and I only imagine it to be getting longer, so by the time we apply next year, maybe it'll take 12-13 months? If this is the case, his PGWP will be expired by the time we get first stage approval. Will he have implied status then until his first stage restuls come in?

2) Is there a limit as to how long a person can have implied status for?

Any advide is apprciated!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) Not that I've heard/read, but maybe someone more knowledgeable on Inland apps can comment.

Besunshine

Star Member
Oct 18, 2011
If his PGWP expires while waiting for his aip and OWP, does he get implied status automatically? Or does he need to apply for implied status?

Also, I think I've read in previous posts that an OWP can only be issued to someone that has status in Canada. Is it true? If he has 'implied status' does it mean he still has valid status?

Just out of curiosity, if we planned on getting married May of 2013 instead of 2012, does he mean he'll be on implied status for up to 1 year while waiting for how aip? This seems too good to be true!!?

Besunshine

Star Member
Oct 18, 2011
Also, another question:

It is probably best if we just wait for his AIP and OWP and have him on implied status rather than applying to extend his work permit, which will require a positive LMO, correct?? ( he's not working in a skilled occupation, he is doing sales)

Thanks!

Besunshine

Star Member
Oct 18, 2011
Can anyone please help? I'm finding this whole thing very stressful and its hard to feel excited about the wedding :(

Angus

Star Member
Sep 15, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have heard that you need to apply at least 90 days prior to his current visa expiring in order to get implied status. (I may be wrong, so anyone please correct me if I am).

So if you get married and submit everything by Jan/Feb 2013, then it is my understanding that, yes, he will be on implied status till AIP is granted, even if it is 12-13-14 months down the road.

By submitting the OWP WITH (same envelope) the PR application, then the OWP will be processed right after AIP and he can continue to work, no problems, till he is landed. However, he will probably not be able to renew his driver's license or provincial health coverage.

rouvie

Star Member
Oct 4, 2011
Besunshine said:
Can anyone please help? I'm finding this whole thing very stressful and its hard to feel excited about the wedding :(
>hello besunshine,

why don't give a try to apply outland? he'll probably get his PR status before his WP expires..if possible send your application right after you gather all documents you need to send..i'm in the same boat as you guys are, my husband is canadian born citizen. your husband doesn't have to be outside canada if you will apply outland..I'm just giving you an option to think about outland as well,,,Let's just say, send your application on june 2012 and assuming by that time the first approval for the sponsor is 80 days or 90, so it will be like 3 mos ryt? then if you get approve as sponsor they will transfer your app to malaysia and they will begin to process your husband's application. the standard processing time for malaysia is 10 months..if everything goes well sometimes the processing time is even shorter..so, to add it 3+10 mos = 13 months. Just in case you decide to do outland send your sponsorship app first, you said your husband WP will expire june 2013 . atleast 30 days before his permit expires send extension for his permit, when cic reiceived his app for extension he will be automatically on implied status and i guarantee you he can still work on implied status without violating any immgration rule. assuming May 2013 he will send his extension permit app so you guys almost done for you sponsorship app outland you got 11 mos already by that time, and july would be your estimated time for PR status. and because he is on implied status you guys doesn't have to worry that much because he can still work. OK, sometimes we cannot help think about the negative part...let's add more usually from implied status it takes 2-6 mos or more for them to make a decision for extension of WP. and ofcourse you never know if they want to extend the permit what if not? just assuming your husband's permit refused in two to whatever mos. after the refusal he'll have 90 days more to stay with you in canada and there's is no way in that time your sponsor app still in process..Unless, your sponsorship app is refused? which i hope not..but just in case the sponsorship app is refused you will have a right to appeal in that decision, whisch is the benefit of outland app..you cannot appeal inland app...WOw, hope your still reading this..i just got a long letter for ya,lol.....well i hope i gave you a little help or atleast something that you can think about..in the end, it is your decision whatever application you want.if you have something in your mind post it..maybe I can give an aswer or somebodY in this forum...GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DECISION ;)