+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married before Landing

abode

Feb 1, 2012
Hello,

I am due to land in canada as an immigrant by December 2012 but I recently got married in my home country which was after I obtained my immigrant visa.Anyhelp or information on what to do to apply for my wife.

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You must return your landing visa and notify the visa office that you have married. When you return your visa, you must also submit all of the forms and paperwork required to sponsor your new spouse.

Do not land in Canada using the landing visa you have today. If you do, you will never be able to sponsor your spouse. You will also be committing misrepresentation by landing as single when you are in fact married. Misrepresentation can result in having your PR status revoked.

Your only option is to return your visa and add your new spouse to your application. Once the visa office has finished reviewing your spouse's paperwork, they will issue a new visa for both of you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed. When your family composition changes like getting married, new baby etc. your visa becomes invalid. If you land on this visa, you will be guilty of misrepresentation to immigration because you did not inform them of your wife. When you try to sponsor your wife later, they will find out and may revoke your PR. In any case, you will never be able to sponsor your wife.

Therefore, the only way to deal with the issue is to contact the visa office immediately and ask to add your wife to your application.

yippee

Oct 30, 2012
Hi,

I'm curious now ... if my foreign national husband can visit Canada with his current visitor's visa? He received it when he was single, travelled here once, and we married in Canada. I'm a Canadian Citizen by birth.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, with a multiple entry visit visa, that is not a problem. For a PR visa however, one must include all their immediate family members, that's spouse and children. If any person is excluded from the PR application, that is seen as misrepresentation and very serious business to immigration. If people get married or have a new baby after getting a visa issued but before landing and they still go and land on this visa, they will never be able to sponsor the relative in question and may even lose their own PR if immigration finds out what they did.

yippee

Oct 30, 2012
Thanks Leon! It's a relief, his visitor's visa doesn't expire until 2015. When/if he comes to visit on his own, if they ask him "what's the purpose of your visit?", should he tell them or avoid telling them that he's visiting his wife? We will likely have a spousal sponsorship application in process by then, but don't want to risk the visitor's visa or any trouble with CIC.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He should just tell the truth. If he is really just visiting, he has a ticket back, right?

abyx

Oct 31, 2012
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the posted qs but please help and I'm sorry to break this but
My spouse was denied a visitors visa (no strong tie in Canada is what they said) and now we are applying for a PR. Initially i( a Canadian citizen) invited him as a family friend would that affect anything. Also in the process of applying for the PR they asked for a universal client identification or a client identification,would he have received one while applying for the visitor's visa,what does it look like? Thank you alot

vips

Jul 13, 2010
Hi,

My case is a little different. I have informed cic about the change in my status and after a week i have my spouse's complete application to the VO. But yesterday i got my COPR and PP back. Please suggest should i send my PP now or wait for cic to ask for it.

Thanks,

vips

Jul 13, 2010
Thanks Msafiri for replying ... Can you please suggest how much time will it take to process the complete my spouse's medical and re stamping.... My visa office is new delhi.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I re-read your earlier post and note you say you received your COPR and PP back. Have these been amended?

Process times will primarily depend on background/ security checks for your spouse. The more she has travelled and lived outside India the longer these will take. I'd say a minimum of 6 months.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Wouldn't the officer who landed him note it somewhere in his file? I'm thinking that if so, maybe there is a chance for appeal because it would not be clear misrepresentation?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

keesio said:
Wouldn't the officer who landed him note it somewhere in his file? I'm thinking that if so, maybe there is a chance for appeal because it would not be clear misrepresentation?
Nope, as his spouse was not "examined", so she is excluded

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In such a case, the immigration officer could also have refused him to land and told him to go back home and add his wife to his application. I have heard of such a case as well.

In any case, the rules are clear. If you land without having added a new family member to your application and that family member having been examined, you will never be able to sponsor this family member in the future.