+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married and Landing Papers are suppose to come

vkbh15

Apr 17, 2008
Hi,

My brother is working in Canada on work permit valid till 2010. He applied for PR after completing all Medial in Jan 08 etc. PR Application was also submitted in Jan 08.

He is suppose to receive his landing paper anytime after July 08, that will be valid till Jan 09.

He is also getting married in Dec. 08, the girl is in India. We want that she (my brother's to be spouse) should travel with him soon after marriage.

Our approach, is after my brother receive the landing Papers in July 08, he will not land in Canada. Because after getting PR, sponsoring spouse is a 8 months process.
So, he will visit India in Dec 08 to get married. Soon after marriage he will apply for Spouse dependent visa from India and then re-enter Canada with his wife. Dependent spouse visa I hope will take approx 2 to 4 weeks.

When he re-enter Canada landing paper will be invalid because he applied for PR when he was Single, but at the time of landing he will be married.

My question:
1. Is this the correct approach?
or
2. Its better to get married before receiving landing papers and apply for spouse dependent visa?
or
3. Should he inform Canadian immigration to stop his PR process and re -apply for same after getting married. Is this possible, if Yes, any risk in this?

Thanks
Vivek

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

vkbh15 said:
Hi,

My brother is working in Canada on work permit valid till 2010. He applied for PR after completing all Medial in Jan 08 etc. PR Application was also submitted in Jan 08.

He is suppose to receive his landing paper anytime after July 08, that will be valid till Jan 09.

He is also getting married in Dec. 08, the girl is in India. We want that she (my brother's to be spouse) should travel with him soon after marriage.

Our approach, is after my brother receive the landing Papers in July 08, he will not land in Canada. Because after getting PR, sponsoring spouse is a 8 months process.
So, he will visit India in Dec 08 to get married. Soon after marriage he will apply for Spouse dependent visa from India and then re-enter Canada with his wife. Dependent spouse visa I hope will take approx 2 to 4 weeks.

When he re-enter Canada landing paper will be invalid because he applied for PR when he was Single, but at the time of landing he will be married.

My question:
1. Is this the correct approach?
or
2. Its better to get married before receiving landing papers and apply for spouse dependent visa?
or
3. Should he inform Canadian immigration to stop his PR process and re -apply for same after getting married. Is this possible, if Yes, any risk in this?

Thanks
Vivek
1. About the exact opposite of what he should do. If he receives his PR visa and does not land before marrying, he will never be able to sponsor his wife and there is a good chance he will lose his PR status for misrepresentation.
2. As a PR he cannot sponsor abroad, once he is "landed" he can go to India and marry, but he must return to Canada before he can sponsor his wife. She will not be issued a visitor visa, but will have to wait in INdia until the application is processed.
3. If he marries before the visa is issued, he can amend his application and add his wife to the application , she would have to complete the forms and he would have to amend his forms to reflect his new martial status.

PMM

pranika tyagi

Nov 14, 2015
getting married /spouse or dependent visa

Hi,

I have a question regarding dependent visa as my fiance has sent his passport for stamping last week and we are planning to get marry next month.

How do we go about dependent visa??
Pl suggest!!

Regards,
Pranika

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
Re: getting married /spouse or dependent visa

pranika tyagi said:
Hi,

I have a question regarding dependent visa as my fiance has sent his passport for stamping last week and we are planning to get marry next month.

Pl suggest!!

Regards,
Pranika
So more people can see your question and help, I would suggest creating your own thread instead of replying to one from 2008.

Vsa05

Apr 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2016
AOR Received.
AOR 1 10-03-2016| AOR2 31-03-2016
File Transfer...
28-03-2016
Med's Done....
18-12-2015
Passport Req..
11-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2016
Re: getting married /spouse or dependent visa

pranika tyagi said:
Hi,

Pl suggest!!

Regards,
Pranika
Dependent visa in sense are you applying for SOWP or family sponsorship?

pranika tyagi

Nov 14, 2015
Hi ,

My fiance is planning to apply for spousal visa, so shall we apply after he lands to Canada or before he lands there.

As we will get marry by June .

Pl suggest what do we do?? Which option will take less time??

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
What kind of visa does your fiance have?