+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after receiving COPR

Pravinst

Jul 31, 2018
Hi

Can someone explain what happens when we get married after receiving COPR( not landed in Canada yet) When I update the CIC about change in marital status how long do they take to re issue new COPR if my spouse is non accompanying . What will be the validity of new COPR. Will it remains same as old COPR or gets extended ? Also will they recalculate points when marital status is changed. By the time I receive new COPR if Medicals get expired do I need to take Medicals again? Any suggestions are highly appreciated

doge

Mar 29, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-03-2017
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
Med's Done....
19-04-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2017
LANDED..........
09-08-2017
Hi

Can someone explain what happens when we get married after receiving COPR( not landed in Canada yet) When I update the CIC about change in marital status how long do they take to re issue new COPR if my spouse is non accompanying . What will be the validity of new COPR. Will it remains same as old COPR or gets extended ? Also will they recalculate points when marital status is changed. By the time I receive new COPR if Medicals get expired do I need to take Medicals again? Any suggestions are highly appreciated
May I ask the question why your spouse is not accompanying?

sam_dawkins

Jul 24, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
04-01-2017 (RCMP Criminal Record Check) Submitted 20-01-2017
Nomination.....
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
25-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-01-2018
LANDED..........
11-01-2018
Hi

If your marital status changes when you are going to land then I am afraid you would not be able to land. The whole PR process will start for your wife. It might take 2-6 months depending on the security screening and others. As far as I know there would not be any affect on your CRS score.
Principal applicant's medical depends on the discretion of CIC. Normally for inland applicant's the medical gets renewed automatically.

Pravinst

Jul 31, 2018
Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. I want to take her with me few months after I land in Canada. She is currently pursuing her masters and will take 9 months for her to complete. So I do not want to take her with me at the moment

tanush14

Jun 13, 2018
Are you married already or getting married soon? If not married yet, then you can plan to do a soft landing before marriage to prevent the hurdles.

Pravinst

Jul 31, 2018
Can someone let me know if my new COPR gets the same validity as old COPR or validity gets extended for non accompanying Spouse Visa

harish010188

Star Member
May 29, 2017
Hi Guys - I don't want to add my wife name now in express entry pool as my points are coming down if i add her name. So what is the process to take her to Canada once i get PR. Please suggest the best way.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Guys - I don't want to add my wife name now in express entry pool as my points are coming down if i add her name. So what is the process to take her to Canada once i get PR. Please suggest the best way.
To sponsor her after you get PR, you must be living in Canada and must continue to live in Canada while the application is being processed (you take take occasional 2-3 week trips outside of Canada - but anything more will most likely result in the sponsorship application being refused). Processing time will be about a year. Your wife can try applying for a TRV to come to Canada before she is a PR - approval is around 50/50. If she is refused, she will need to remain outside of Canada while the application is processed. So if you wait until after you are PR to sponsor her, you have to be prepared for the possibility that you may spend most of a year living apart.

Pravinst

Jul 31, 2018
Hi Harish- You cannot skip adding your wife name if you are already married. It will be considered as misrepresentation and you may not be able to sponsor your wife later. You should inform CIC of your exact marital status

Pravinst

Jul 31, 2018
You can add her as non-accompanying and sponsor her once you get PR. Then it will not have affect on your overall points. But without informing CIC that you are married and not adding your wife name will be considered as misrepresentation

harish010188

Star Member
May 29, 2017
To sponsor her after you get PR, you must be living in Canada and must continue to live in Canada while the application is being processed (you take take occasional 2-3 week trips outside of Canada - but anything more will most likely result in the sponsorship application being refused). Processing time will be about a year. Your wife can try applying for a TRV to come to Canada before she is a PR - approval is around 50/50. If she is refused, she will need to remain outside of Canada while the application is processed. So if you wait until after you are PR to sponsor her, you have to be prepared for the possibility that you may spend most of a year living apart.
@ scylla - I'm adding her name as not accompaning and my intension is not to give false information to CIC. Can she be with me on tourist visa till she get PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@ scylla - I'm adding her name as not accompaning and my intension is not to give false information to CIC. Can she be with me on tourist visa till she get PR?
As I said above, there is never a guarantee a TRV will be approved and we do see relatively high refusal rates in these situations. If she already has or is able to obtain a TRV - then yes. If not, then no.

divyanshu

Mar 21, 2018
Can someone let me know if my new COPR gets the same validity as old COPR or validity gets extended for non accompanying Spouse Visa
Hey, how did the entire process of adding your spouse after your marriage go? Can you please give details? Also did your validity get extended or not?