+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting married after applying as common law partners. is that a problem?

Baskin

Star Member
Aug 14, 2014
If I apply with my gf as common law partners and later on get married and notify CIC, will they still process our file as common law partners or married couple based on the marriage certificate that I'm gonna mail to them.
and is there any thing wrong with that?
Thanks

RomanSPb

Jul 19, 2014
Calgary, AB, Canada
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-JUL-2014
AOR Received.
01-DEC-2014
Med's Request
12-FEB-2014
Med's Done....
20-FEB-2014
Passport Req..
26-MAR-2014
LANDED..........
26-10-2015
Baskin said:
If I apply with my gf as common law partners and later on get married and notify CIC, will they still process our file as common law partners or married couple based on the marriage certificate that I'm gonna mail to them.
and is there any thing wrong with that?
Thanks
This is absolutely not a problem. Write them a cover letter explaining your situation, a photocopy of your marriage certificate (or a certified true copy + official translation is case the MC is not in English or French). In addition (at least as far as I remember) you may send updated forms where your marital status is indicated.

Baskin

Star Member
Aug 14, 2014
RomanSPb said:
This is absolutely not a problem. Write them a cover letter explaining your situation, a photocopy of your marriage certificate (or a certified true copy + official translation is case the MC is not in English or French). In addition (at least as far as I remember) you may send updated forms where your marital status is indicated.
I read about a similar situation and what struck me is that the officer at the visa office called the husband to make sure that he and his GF got married, he also told him that they'll process the file as common law partners despite the fact that they got married because that's what they filed at the beginning!!!
What if I submit with my GF as common law partners and included all the supportive and proof of the relationship documents, then later on (after we get married) notified them of my marriage, would they still process it as common law or married couple??

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
Baskin said:
I read about a similar situation and what struck me is that the officer at the visa office called the husband to make sure that he and his GF got married, he also told him that they'll process the file as common law partners despite the fact that they got married because that's what they filed at the beginning!!!
What if I submit with my GF as common law partners and included all the supportive and proof of the relationship documents, then later on (after we get married) notified them of my marriage, would they still process it as common law or married couple??
I don't see what the problem is here. You are required to notify CIC/VO of any changes in your marital status. So you must notify them of your marriage. How they choose to process your file is for them to decide and is not of your concern. Either way, your VO has to be convinced that your relationship is genuine in which case there won't be any problem to your application.