+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after AoR - add spouse immediately or after PPR?

akkoajangajang

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-01-2019
Nomination.....
30-01-2019
AOR Received.
01-03-2019
Med's Done....
12-04-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2019
LANDED..........
30-09-2019
I’ve been looking at various threads but haven’t been able to deduce the best approach here.

My AoR is March 1 2019 for FSW Outland.
My meds are passed and I’ve already given my biometrics.

If I get married before I get the PPR, would the whole PR process for both of us be quicker
a. if I wait to inform CIC about my marriage after I get the PPR or
b. if I informed them right away?

Or would both of these approaches take the same amount of time?

Thanks.

akkoajangajang

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-01-2019
Nomination.....
30-01-2019
AOR Received.
01-03-2019
Med's Done....
12-04-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2019
LANDED..........
30-09-2019
If you do not inform IRCC and you get married before landing you will never be allowed to sponsor your spouse
Yes, I’m aware of that.

You need to inform then as soon as you get married.
Could you link to a section of the law that says that? My understanding was that you need to inform them before you land and that’s all.

Sushi777

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
I’ve been looking at various threads but haven’t been able to deduce the best approach here.

If I get married before I get the PPR, would the whole PR process for both of us be quicker

Thanks.
Hey! it would definitely be faster if you inform them right away. If you wait until you get PPR and they stamp your passport, they will ask you to send it back to cancel your COPR which is a longgg headache. At that point you maybe adding an additional 6 months processing time. If you tell them right away, and your marriage date is in MAY, it may or may not add additional time to your application ( not sure). My AOR date is November 22nd and I got married in April. I informed IRCC a couple of days after and submitted all the documents they asked for in April. I have 15 days left on my progress bar so waiting to see if I go over the 6 months. Hope this helps.

Reactions: akkoajangajang

akkoajangajang

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-01-2019
Nomination.....
30-01-2019
AOR Received.
01-03-2019
Med's Done....
12-04-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2019
LANDED..........
30-09-2019
Hey! it would definitely be faster if you inform them right away. If you wait until you get PPR and they stamp your passport, they will ask you to send it back to cancel your COPR which is a longgg headache. At that point you maybe adding an additional 6 months processing time. If you tell them right away, and your marriage date is in MAY, it may or may not add additional time to your application ( not sure). My AOR date is November 22nd and I got married in April. I informed IRCC a couple of days after and submitted all the documents they asked for in April. I have 15 days left on my progress bar so waiting to see if I go over the 6 months. Hope this helps.
It does help, indeed. Thank you for replying.

Reactions: Sushi777

Milesthegreat

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
Hello, any updates on your status now? I am about getting married and would like to add my spouse.

wick_sran

Mar 5, 2012
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2019
IELTS Request
01-02-2019
Did you update spouse details on your passport?

Aug 6, 2019
Greetings all. I am getting married on nov 10 next month, however i got my AOR on 12 sep and have MEP/BIL on 1st oct.

My questions are.
1.should i inform IRCC right after my marriage or after PPR, my goal is to go together with her taking the shortest time possible.
2. Will the CRS Score be recalculated after the AOR.
2. Should my future spouse write IELTS and get her ECA done?

Thank you in advance. :)

Tca

Sep 22, 2020

Thanks.
Hello. I am writing to know based on your experience if the process was slow or faster?

Claudio ALB

Jan 7, 2021
Hello. I am writing to know based on your experience if the process was slow or faster?
Didn't you get an answer what you asked for?
It would be great to know more about this topic. If you have already passed this process can you help me?

Thank you in advance :)