Interview........
not needed
Passport Req..
Dec-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan-06-2012
LANDED..........
planned for March
Trying to get my marriage certificate notarized. We are in Mexico and got married in Mexico. We are trying to get it notarized so we can send our application off. This is the last part of our application, and everywhere we go we are getting more and more confused about this. No company knows what we have to do exactly. They send us off and we get to another government building and they tell us something different. Does the marriage certificate have to be notarized, or just the translation? I know it is a confusing question and isn't very clear.. but I can't really explain it better than that.
Does anyone have any advice that got married outside of Canada, what did you do when getting your marriage certificate ready to send? anyone please

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The regional guide for Latin America (and Mexico) just says a photo copy of the marriage certificate as well as a translation (of any document not in English or French).

tarnen

Dec 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April-12-2011
AOR Received.
Oct-14-2011
File Transfer...
June-12-2011
Med's Done....
April-04-2011
Interview........
not needed
Passport Req..
Dec-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan-06-2012
LANDED..........
planned for March
so I have been looking it up everywhere I can and emailing calling anyone I can. And I think what i am asking is. Do I have to "register" my marriage that took place in Mexico for Canada, so Canada reconizes it? do i have to do that before I can use it in the application?

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tarnen said:
so I have been looking it up everywhere I can and emailing calling anyone I can. And I think what i am asking is. Do I have to "register" my marriage that took place in Mexico for Canada, so Canada reconizes it? do i have to do that before I can use it in the application?
no you do not.

However....
(if you are living in Mexico with an FM2 inmigrante or FM3 no inmigrante then you need to inform INM (Instituto Nacional de Migracion Mexican Immigration) of your marriage) Also as a foreigner you should have asked gotten permission from INM to marry a Mexican citizen.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
Huron said:
Also as a foreigner you should have asked gotten permission from INM to marry a Mexican citizen.
I believe the judge isn't able to marry him without that paper so if he's already married I'm pretty sure he went through that. :)

It is important to update your FM2/FM3 though!!!!

tarnen

Dec 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April-12-2011
AOR Received.
Oct-14-2011
File Transfer...
June-12-2011
Med's Done....
April-04-2011
Interview........
not needed
Passport Req..
Dec-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan-06-2012
LANDED..........
planned for March
yes... we went through the whole INM permission thing. I am here on a FMM tourist visa. We have our marriage certificate and somewhere along the line of finding out how to notorize it (or even what that specifically means), we were told we need to get the State Judge to sign it to approve the marriage judge, and then we need to get the Federal Judge in Mexico City to sign it to approve the State Judge, Only then can we take it to the Canadian consulate to get it translated and signed. (the consulate won't touch it if we don't have the "Federal" signature on it). I tried to explain to the everyone if we really needed to do all this. And everyone I talk to here says we do. but, It just seems like nobody else has done this.
Is this the notorizing process, or it is the registering process like i thought before.

this is all so frustrating and a trip to Mexico City just to get a signature sounds very strange and hard to believe, especially when I can't find anyone else complaining about it.

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why are you taking it to the consulate to get it translated? A Perito Traductor certified by the state in Mexico where you live can do any translations you require. You do not need to go to the consulate and I do not think that you need all those signatures. Just re read the regional guide. It does not say that the document needs to be “notarised”. (in fact it does not even say that the marriage document needs to be translated by a Perito, it just says to include photo copies of the marriage certificate and True English or French translations of any document not in either of those languages.) The Police certificates do need to be translated by a Perito and originals sent as mentioned in the Regional guide.

It sounds to me like you are getting Apostilla or Apostille. This is not done / required / recognised in Canada. It is often times required by the USA and other countries that are part of the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents.

Or maybe it is the legalisation process for non Hague Convention countries I am not sure.

I know I did not get all of the signatures that you are talking about because the guide says:

Send the following documents with your application and check each box when they are enclosed.
•Send originals of the police certificates and forms listed in items 1 to 7 below.
•Send photocopies only of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise.
•If your documents are not in English or French, include an accurate translation with a copy of the originals. Failure to do so could result in substantial processing delays.

“IDENTITY AND CIVIL STATUS DOCUMENTS
For issuing authorities in Belize, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua and Panama, see table at the end of this appendix.
Provide photocopies of the following document confirming the relationship between you and each of your family members:

•Birth certificates and/or baptismal certificates.
•Marriage certificates, if applicable. (If you were married in Chile, submit a copy of computer printed marriage certificate issued by the civil registry).

ETC......

You may want to post this question in the Mexico thread.

Did anyone else get all of those signatures and go through the process that tarnen is doing?

wooera

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MEXICO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-11
Nomination.....
29-04-11
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-11
Passport Req..
09-09-11
Hi i was in the same situation that you its very confuse, but I was told in the Candian counsulate from Guadalajara to take my marriege cerrtificate to translate with one perito of their list and then the perito came with me to the consulate they charge me 980 pesos so they aval that the translation was genuine they put a stamop in the translations and that was it!

tarnen

Dec 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April-12-2011
AOR Received.
Oct-14-2011
File Transfer...
June-12-2011
Med's Done....
April-04-2011
Interview........
not needed
Passport Req..
Dec-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan-06-2012
LANDED..........
planned for March
so my Mexican marriage in Mexico is valid in Canada. And i don't have to worry about any of this. Canada doesn't have to put a stamp saying they accept that the marraige took place and we are worrying over nothing?

tarnen

Dec 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April-12-2011
AOR Received.
Oct-14-2011
File Transfer...
June-12-2011
Med's Done....
April-04-2011
Interview........
not needed
Passport Req..
Dec-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan-06-2012
LANDED..........
planned for March
ok.... maybe i am being paraniod... because now. one person says i don't have to do this, and another says they did it.

I am reading through the canadainternational.gc.ca and it says:
Documents issued in Mexico to be used in Canada must first be authenticated by the Mexican Ministry of the Interior (Secretaría de Gobernación) and the Department of Legalizations of the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores) having jurisdiction over the region where such documents were originally issued. Once authenticated, documents can be legalized by the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City or the consulates in their area of jurisdiction, and finally can be officially translated into English or French (should the institution in Canada requires this).

have other people done this. Is this the normal process. Or is Huron right and this process is ment for something else? anyone?

wooera

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MEXICO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-11
Nomination.....
29-04-11
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-11
Passport Req..
09-09-11
Hi I send a EMAIL to the Canadian Embassy and this is what they answer me

Dear Mrs. Rodriguez,

In response to your communication, please be advised that a marriage certificate issued in Mexico by the Mexican Authorities (Civil Registry) is acceptable, you do not require to certify this document, however a translation is recommended.

but I call the consulate in my city they told me that there is some people who just translated and send it some have problems some not but she advise me that it was better to take the documents with the perito of the list that they give me and then make an appoiment in the consulate in my city, and the perito its going to sign something and they are going to prube that the traslations are genuine, the canadian consul is going to charge me 980 pesos for that, but thats it! I ask the consul about if i have to take the marriege certificate o the secretaria de gobernacion and the secretaria de relaciones exteriores and she told me this:
Once yo get a copy (fiel del libro) form the registro civil, your marriege was already authenticated by the Mexican Ministry of the Interior you dont have to worry about that and about the secretaria de relaciones exteriores once your marrige took place you need to advise the INSTITUTO NACIONAL DE MIGRACION, that your status change from single to married , and if you did it already you are good!...sometimes you dont even advise them about this cause some registros civiles do it by themselves

crisch373

Apr 1, 2011
I am Canadian (living in Ottawa) and I married my Ecuadorian wife in Ecuador last month. We are trying to get all the sponsorship materials now, and the same questions that have been asked here about notarized copies and translations arose in my mind. The Latin American forms aren't very clear in that regard. They say that they want copies of documents and translations, but they don't say at all clearly which copies must be notarized (and by who/how), and they don't say what manner of translation is required (i.e., certified or not, and if certified then by who/how). So I totally relate to the post that started all of this, and if anyone gets the answer, please drop me an e-mail. I note that the Latin forms do say that the criminal check has to include a certified translation. It doesn't actually say how to go about getting that. As well, the fact that it specifically requires "certified" for that, whereas other documents (like passport) only say translation, does that mean that the other documents don't need the translations to be certified? Or is it just sloppy drafting?

Thanks all
Chris

sophie1

Star Member
Aug 27, 2019
I am applying PR for my husband under family class Do i need to noterzired the marriage certificate or online printed copy is fine.

Adylene

Aug 29, 2022
I am Canadian (living in Ottawa) and I married my Ecuadorian wife in Ecuador last month. We are trying to get all the sponsorship materials now, and the same questions that have been asked here about notarized copies and translations arose in my mind. The Latin American forms aren't very clear in that regard. They say that they want copies of documents and translations, but they don't say at all clearly which copies must be notarized (and by who/how), and they don't say what manner of translation is required (i.e., certified or not, and if certified then by who/how). So I totally relate to the post that started all of this, and if anyone gets the answer, please drop me an e-mail. I note that the Latin forms do say that the criminal check has to include a certified translation. It doesn't actually say how to go about getting that. As well, the fact that it specifically requires "certified" for that, whereas other documents (like passport) only say translation, does that mean that the other documents don't need the translations to be certified? Or is it just sloppy drafting?

Thanks all
Chris
Hi Cris,

I know you posted this more than 10 years ago. Did you get the answers to your questions? I am in the same exact situation. I am a canadian citizen wanting to sponsor my ecuadorian husband. Please help.
Thank you