+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Job-In how many days

dev1_181

Jul 15, 2013
Hello to all experienced members,
It is requested to seniors pls share your exp. about getting job. In how many days you got the job in canada after landing as a PR person. pls also share what difficulty you face initially.

Thanks in advance....

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Which province or more specifically what City are you landing on? What field or job are you trying to get?

dev1_181

Jul 15, 2013
Dear Friend,
I am trying in Calgary and i am a Electronics Engineer and having more than 10 year exp...........

Thanks
D.K

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Luckily, we live in Calgary and my husband is a chemical engineer so I know a little bit about this area.
Well my husband just got laid off 2 days ago because his company didn't have any work (did not win any bids) but apparently some of his colleagues who was laid off 3 weeks ago got a job in a week.
Now let me be honest to you that Calgary is a city that is big in the oil and gas business,most of the corporate head offices are located here but most of the engineer he worked with were chemical engineers, mechanical engineers, petroleum engineers, exploitation engineers, construction engineers etc.

However, you can try applying at the big telecommunication companies like telus, shaw, rogers or utility companies like direct energy, atco and enmax.

Also try the Canadian Job bank.

As far as I know being an engineer here in Alberta, you need to be a member or at least eligible to be a member of APEGA, which is The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) regulates the practices of engineering and geoscience in Alberta.

As far as city wise, Calgary is a great city to live in, lot's of opportunities and a lot of people with big income.

Hope this gives you an idea a little bit.

dev1_181

Jul 15, 2013
Thanks you very much "marsiangal" for sharing this information. It is very usefull for me.......Pls share one for information, As per calagary city how much I should demand from an employer at the time of interview as I have 10 year exp.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Can I ask which country you are from?
I know this may sound unfair but if you move to Canada, you will have to get all you credentials assessed. In a recognized assessment agency here in Canada.
Even if you have 10 years of experience in another country, they may say that it is not enough, so this is the first thing you have to do.

One of the recognized ones is called The International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS), they assess international educational
documents and compares them to educational credentials in Canada.

After this apply to be a member of apega,(They also will asses all your credentials and compare it to canadian standards.) they may say you have enough experience to get a professional license in engineering or you may have to start as a member in training. Again they have to assess all your credentials So you will have to research on that, cause I am not an expert on that it just so happened that my husband is an engineer so I know some stuff. lol.

Anyways as an MIT 0-4 years experience. I've seen new graduates start in the 50 then 70-80k per year and it increases each year, more experience the better.

Once you get the professional license or Professional engineer designation. It can start from the 100k-140k up and much much more depending on experience and how big of a company you apply in, how badly they want you, if you work in the field etc.

Like I said these are just my estimations, AND it is important to have you credentials recognized and having apega membership.

Most if not all engineering postings ask that you be eligible to be a member or is already a member.

I do not know if some companies are less strict, meaning they will hire you first seeing that you have the experience and then make you get the apega membership.

But I am going round and round in circle sorry. Bottom line unless you have had your credentials assessed by apega you may have a problem getting a job. (Kinda like how a doctor needs to pass a bunch of test in Canada before they can do their practice here.)

Saydul

Jun 17, 2013
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2011
Med's Request
09-05-2013
Med's Done....
12-06-2013
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Request-09 July; Received by CIC-23 July; Dispatched from CIC-22 Aug 2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-July-2013
LANDED..........
InshaAllah on 9 May, 2014
Hi Marsiangal, I was reading your advices carefully and got interest to write something about me to get comments from you. I am Mechanical engineering graduate from NIT, India and Petroleum Engineering Master from University of Stavanger, Norway. Have 10 year+ experience in onshore gas fields as various positions like field engineer, project engineer, facilities engineer for small capital projects (greenfield projects-new processing pad development, pipeline construction etc..). Specialized in project management, project expedition, procurement/Logistics coordination...Now working in Chevron as Facilities Engineer for last 2 years in Indonesia. I have got Immigration Visa last week and confused whether should I come to Canada (Calgary) or not. My age is about 40 yrs. My wife is a Physician (30 yrs. old) and have one kid (girl) aged 5 yrs. If I move, I have the following plan considering less probability of getting job as we don't have Canadian degree and experience:
1) Myself get admission in diploma/M.Eng in Petroleum eng at SAIT/UoC and take student loan
2) My spouse get admission in diploma in Diagnostic Sonography at SAIT and take student loan

Now based on above short profile, will appreciate your valuable advise and path forward....(We have already applied for degree assessment and I will apply for P.Eng after coming to Canada). Many many thanks in advance.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Saydul said:
Hi Marsiangal, I was reading your advices carefully and got interest to write something about me to get comments from you. I am Mechanical engineering graduate from NIT, India and Petroleum Engineering Master from University of Stavanger, Norway. Have 10 year+ experience in onshore gas fields as various positions like field engineer, project engineer, facilities engineer for small capital projects (greenfield projects-new processing pad development, pipeline construction etc..). Specialized in project management, project expedition, procurement/Logistics coordination...Now working in Chevron as Facilities Engineer for last 2 years in Indonesia. I have got Immigration Visa last week and confused whether should I come to Canada (Calgary) or not. My age is about 40 yrs. My wife is a Physician (30 yrs. old) and have one kid (girl) aged 5 yrs. If I move, I have the following plan considering less probability of getting job as we don't have Canadian degree and experience:
1) Myself get admission in diploma/M.Eng in Petroleum eng at SAIT/UoC and take student loan
2) My spouse get admission in diploma in Diagnostic Sonography at SAIT and take student loan

Now based on above short profile, will appreciate your valuable advise and path forward....(We have already applied for degree assessment and I will apply for P.Eng after coming to Canada). Many many thanks in advance.
Hi Saygul,

Thanks for letting me give you advice,
In my opinion, You have an awesome profile. Especially all your experience in the oil and gas industry! :) Did you look into the APEGA website yet on getting you credentials assessed by them specifically? (Not the SAIT assessment) I believe companies would hire you even if you are just "eligible" giving you a timeline on when you need to obtain your P.ENG status by or atleast giving you the time to get membership. And if you talk to the right people and connect with the right crowd (once in the company) you will always have a job in Calgary. Based from what my husband told me, there is a lot of internationally educated engineers that he has worked with and they didn't have any problem. Because most companies provide seminars and trainings to help their employees be up to date with what processes and stuff that Canada is using or doing at the moment.

So like I've been saying over and over, lol. Get your credentials assessed by APEGA. I do not think you should be in a hurry to go to school as your educational background and experience can easily land you a job.

As for your wife, might be a different situation, I am not exactly sure, But I know people that were nurses with long time experiences in other countries. And they had to take courses and exams here to actually be a licensed nurse, (Some end up being an LPN or health care Aide instead of an RN because it is that hard.) So I can imagine how much more being a doctor. Oh actually i just remembered I used to work for a lady that was a doctor in Pakistan and she was studying hard to get a license to practice her medicine here.

Personally I would hate for you to start your new life in Canada with LOANS.
As much as possible avoid it. It can add up you know! lol. First it's just student loans, then your gonna want to get a car then a house, then furniture. and before you know it your in deep debt. It's so easy to get credit and loans here in Canada so be careful with that.

Also I think your little girl will be able to go to school which is subsidized by the government and you pay a minimal fee, but is it the After school care that you should look into cause it can get expensive.

I just got an idea, did you look into what jobs are available for your field? try indeed.ca or the Canadian job bank.

Most employers are open enough to do a Skype/ Messenger via the internet interview before you coming here so that might be a good idea to try you never know if you can get a job before hand. Also make sure you let them know that you are gonna be a PR and are getting your credentials assessed so that they will not have to worry about work permits and stuff for you and your family.

I do not know what else I can share. But just let me know if you think of something.

Goodluck!

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
Saydul said:

No, I would discourage you from immigrating to Canada. You have absolutely no reason to come to Canada when you and your wife are well settled. Nowadays, if you have a little money (close to half a million dollars, I guess) to buy a house in the US, you can get a green card. So there's no reason to come to Canada and waste your savings! Stay where you are! If you really want to move to North America, move to the US, not Canada.

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Federal), Paris (BIQ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011 (Quebec); 29-02-2012 (Federal), signed by KRSZWDA
Nomination.....
Interview letter received from BIQ (Paris) November 2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011 (Quebec); 23-03-2012 (Federal, e-mail)
File Transfer...
19-04-2012 (London started processing)
Med's Request
12-06-2012 (delivered on 19-06-2012 by post)
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
06-02-2012 (got CSQ at Paris BIQ)
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
Just curious - why do you prefer US over Canada?

kingkong1 said:
No, I would discourage you from immigrating to Canada. You have absolutely no reason to come to Canada when you and your wife are well settled. Nowadays, if you have a little money (close to half a million dollars, I guess) to buy a house in the US, you can get a green card. So there's no reason to come to Canada and waste your savings! Stay where you are! If you really want to move to North America, move to the US, not Canada.

Saydul

Jun 17, 2013
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2011
Med's Request
09-05-2013
Med's Done....
12-06-2013
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Request-09 July; Received by CIC-23 July; Dispatched from CIC-22 Aug 2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-July-2013
LANDED..........
InshaAllah on 9 May, 2014
Thanks Marsiangal for your valuable advise. Sorry for late reply. Okay Marsiangal, should I send my papers to IQAS or APEGA for credentials assessment?

Hi Saygul,

Thanks for letting me give you advice,
In my opinion, You have an awesome profile. Especially all your experience in the oil and gas industry! :) Did you look into the APEGA website yet on getting you credentials assessed by them specifically? (Not the SAIT assessment) I believe companies would hire you even if you are just "eligible" giving you a timeline on when you need to obtain your P.ENG status by or atleast giving you the time to get membership. And if you talk to the right people and connect with the right crowd (once in the company) you will always have a job in Calgary. Based from what my husband told me, there is a lot of internationally educated engineers that he has worked with and they didn't have any problem. Because most companies provide seminars and trainings to help their employees be up to date with what processes and stuff that Canada is using or doing at the moment.

So like I've been saying over and over, lol. Get your credentials assessed by APEGA. I do not think you should be in a hurry to go to school as your educational background and experience can easily land you a job.

As for your wife, might be a different situation, I am not exactly sure, But I know people that were nurses with long time experiences in other countries. And they had to take courses and exams here to actually be a licensed nurse, (Some end up being an LPN or health care Aide instead of an RN because it is that hard.) So I can imagine how much more being a doctor. Oh actually i just remembered I used to work for a lady that was a doctor in Pakistan and she was studying hard to get a license to practice her medicine here.

Personally I would hate for you to start your new life in Canada with LOANS.
As much as possible avoid it. It can add up you know! lol. First it's just student loans, then your gonna want to get a car then a house, then furniture. and before you know it your in deep debt. It's so easy to get credit and loans here in Canada so be careful with that.

Also I think your little girl will be able to go to school which is subsidized by the government and you pay a minimal fee, but is it the After school care that you should look into cause it can get expensive.

I just got an idea, did you look into what jobs are available for your field? try indeed.ca or the Canadian job bank.

Most employers are open enough to do a Skype/ Messenger via the internet interview before you coming here so that might be a good idea to try you never know if you can get a job before hand. Also make sure you let them know that you are gonna be a PR and are getting your credentials assessed so that they will not have to worry about work permits and stuff for you and your family.

I do not know what else I can share. But just let me know if you think of something.

Goodluck!

[/quote]

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Do the APEGA so you can get your membership.

maina

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2013
New Jersey
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-May-2013 PER : 9-Aug-2013
AOR Received.
11-Oct-2013
is there any mechanical engineer who can share experience of finding job in canada?

maina

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2013
New Jersey
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-May-2013 PER : 9-Aug-2013
AOR Received.
11-Oct-2013
is there sm registered agencies dat can help finding a job?

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
maina said:
is there sm registered agencies dat can help finding a job?
There is a lot of agencies, you just have to look online for some in your area.
And remember that if they are legit agencies they shouldn't ask you money to look for a job for you.
Cause usually the employer is the one who pays them to find a suitable candidate for them.