+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting DL in Ontario using US expired License

funwizard

Star Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello Folks,
Hoping someone could chime-in with their valuable suggestion for my situation.

I will be moved to Ontario in a week. I was in US before and my US DL expired in Aug-19. I have a driving record from US from 2011. Though my first US license was from Illinois, i had to exchange that in Atlanta when i moved there in 2016. GA expired in Aug-19 when i moved back to India.

Should i get the DL extract from India to get the G License in Ontario
or
can i use my DL extract and expired US license to get the G license.

Thanks.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello Folks,
Hoping someone could chime-in with their valuable suggestion for my situation.

I will be moved to Ontario in a week. I was in US before and my US DL expired in Aug-19. I have a driving record from US from 2011. Though my first US license was from Illinois, i had to exchange that in Atlanta when i moved there in 2016. GA expired in Aug-19 when i moved back to India.

Should i get the DL extract from India to get the G License in Ontario
or
can i use my DL extract and expired US license to get the G license.

Thanks.
India is not the list of countries for which you would get full G license. So its up to you what level of license you want. License expired is not the criteria but we cant say for sure from the license office as they have their own rules such as they would only consider only 2 years in the last 3 years of driving experience(which i was surprised to hear because it was not mentioned in website). So if you want to full G then get the extract from US.

Some offices/officers(like in WIndsor) dont accept the extract from local dmv rather than from head office(the extact comes with a letter from head office). So be careful in choosing the extract type if that state offers a better extract in a good format. I had too much problem in windsor. She(the officer) was acting as if rest were fraud(she was asking how come the document was not folded and mailed - seems that she wants to be with csi miami tv serial :). she did not know that i used prepaid envelopes to get the extract faster from lansing :( )
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-0