+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Canadian citizenship for children born in US (Canadian parent)

cdnchris

Nov 9, 2016
I was searching through the forum trying to piece together answers but figured it might be better to ask in one place.

I'm Canadian, married to an American. We initially lived in Canada but moved to the States. We had two children while living down here and my understanding is that since I'm Canadian they're both Canadian as well. But in order to get a passport I'd have to first get them the certificate saying they're Canadian.

I guess I wanted to double check I had the correct form, which I believe is the CIT0001 (I initially had the CIT0003 but that looked to be for permanent residents). Looking on the website it's a bit confusing.

Also, since they're already technically Canadian, it's not like they would risk losing their American citizenship or anything like that, correct?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They are already citizens so they just need proof of citizenship, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

The US does not care about dual citizenship so there is no danger to their US citizenship if they confirm that they are also Canadian.

cdnchris

Nov 9, 2016
Thank you! I was trying to look at the site today but it's super slow and was trying to sort out that I had the right stuff.

I think the one other thing that I'm not sure on is that they ask for two pieces of ID to be included with the form. They both have American passports, so I guess I can get copies of those (and they have to be notarized copies if I understand) but I'm not sure what else to include. It looks like I have to include their American birth certificate anyways, so I'm guessing that wouldn't count for the second. They 4 and 7 so it's not like they have much else.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cdnchris said:
Thank you! I was trying to look at the site today but it's super slow and was trying to sort out that I had the right stuff.

I think the one other thing that I'm not sure on is that they ask for two pieces of ID to be included with the form. They both have American passports, so I guess I can get copies of those (and they have to be notarized copies if I understand) but I'm not sure what else to include. It looks like I have to include their American birth certificate anyways, so I'm guessing that wouldn't count for the second. They 4 and 7 so it's not like they have much else.
Yes, and you can include two ID's for yourself as well. That should do it. Kids normally don't have much in the way of ID's anyway.