+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Canadian citizenship despite Permanent Residency RO

DWolverine12

Apr 4, 2018
Dear Sir/Madam,

Hope you're doing well.
I am a Critical care medicine resident in India and I applied for Canada PR for a career change. My wife is a Teacher. My and my wife both are Canadian PR holders. Our landing date is Sep 10,2016 and we had to return to India on Nov 31st, 2017 due to my mom's illness and are still in India till date as I am looking after her. Me and my wife both Stayed for about 440 days approx in Canada. I am planning to return to Canada this Nov,2019 and planning to stay till Sep 10,2021 which eventually will make me qualify for RO and apply for Citizenship.
I have a few questions

1.My wife is pregnant is due to deliver her first child by the last week of June, 2019. She will be unable to travel back to Canada immediately till the end of 2019 as my in-laws will be looking after her and the baby,so she won't be meeting the RO. Is it a good idea to voluntarily renounce her PR or can she be considered on H&C grounds? Or will it be wise for me to Sponsor her when I become a Canadian Citizen?

2.I have filed my 2017 taxes successfully. As I am living outside Canada for more than a year now, am I eligible to file my 2018 taxes?

3.If I file my 2018 taxes successfully, my last Q is that As my first child will be born in India, being PR holders are we eligible for Child benefit?

Apologies for any typing errors.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Dr. Karthik

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear Sir/Madam,

Hope you're doing well.
I am a Critical care medicine resident in India and I applied for Canada PR for a career change. My wife is a Teacher. My and my wife both are Canadian PR holders. Our landing date is Sep 10,2016 and we had to return to India on Nov 31st, 2017 due to my mom's illness and are still in India till date as I am looking after her. Me and my wife both Stayed for about 440 days approx in Canada. I am planning to return to Canada this Nov,2019 and planning to stay till Sep 10,2021 which eventually will make me qualify for RO and apply for Citizenship.
I have a few questions

1.My wife is pregnant is due to deliver her first child by the last week of June, 2019. She will be unable to travel back to Canada immediately till the end of 2019 as my in-laws will be looking after her and the baby,so she won't be meeting the RO. Is it a good idea to voluntarily renounce her PR or can she be considered on H&C grounds? Or will it be wise for me to Sponsor her when I become a Canadian Citizen?

2.I have filed my 2017 taxes successfully. As I am living outside Canada for more than a year now, am I eligible to file my 2018 taxes?

3.If I file my 2018 taxes successfully, my last Q is that As my first child will be born in India, being PR holders are we eligible for Child benefit?

Apologies if I have any typing errors as this is my first post.

Thank you in anticipation.

Best Regards,
Dr. Karthik
1. Based on the information you've provided, she has no H&C grounds. Probably easier to renounce PR and have you sponsor her. You don't have to be a citizen to sponsor her but you must be living in Canada.
2. Sure - you can file your 2018 taxes. Although it would probably make more sense to declare yourself a non resident.
3. No.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As a doctor and a teacher you both can't work in your fields in Canada. Why would you chose to immigrate to Canada versus another country?

Also should mention there are always chances citizenship rules can change given that there is an election this year.