+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Broadband Installed

DaiWelsh

Jun 5, 2015
We will be landing in Windsor, ON 1st October, we have a rental lined up and have access a week or so before we land. We would like to get a broadband service available as soon as possible, ideally even before we arrive. What are the options and the likely lead time - do ISPs generally install there own connection? Do they use existing lines? cable? phone line? For example we are looking at V Media but I am concerned that they may make assumptions that we are not aware of - for example to get the cable broadband we would need to be paying a local cable supplier?

Any advice appreciated - particularly about assumptions that may be made as they are "obvious" to Canadians..

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
DaiWelsh said:
We will be landing in Windsor, ON 1st October, we have a rental lined up and have access a week or so before we land. We would like to get a broadband service available as soon as possible, ideally even before we arrive. What are the options and the likely lead time - do ISPs generally install there own connection? Do they use existing lines? cable? phone line? For example we are looking at V Media but I am concerned that they may make assumptions that we are not aware of - for example to get the cable broadband we would need to be paying a local cable supplier?

Any advice appreciated - particularly about assumptions that may be made as they are "obvious" to Canadians..
You can arrange an installation appointment if you already have the address of where you will be living, and a local contact number. In effect, Canada has multiple service providers that own their own networks (e.g., Rogers, Bell, etc.) and several others that resell services. You can choose which type of service you would like (DSL, cable, fixed wireless, etc.) but then have to select the service provider or reseller that offers such service. No provider will "make their own line", but will rather use whatever infrastructure is available in your area. Similarly, the type of service and speed will depend on the available infrastructure.

Typically, connection appointments are scheduled within 1-3 days. Once you select a service provider, you will pay that company (regardless if they are facilities-based or just a reseller).

You can also purchase a bundle of services (phone, cable, Internet) from a single provider, which is generally cheaper than buying each service individually. Bell has a great promotion on its Fibe service which I feel is far superior to any cable Internet service.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

DaiWelsh

Jun 5, 2015
Thanks torontosm, we went with vmedia and have an appointment shceduled the day after we arrive, will try to update with how that works out...