+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting BOWP when currently on Closed Work Permit

SKeith

Nov 1, 2020
Hey everyone,
I am currently on a closed work permit issued by Quebec. But I applied for EE (CEC) last year and the decision is still pending. I am currently not working because I had to move from Quebec to Ontario to prove my intent of living and working outside Quebec. So my closed work permit expires in June 2021, but technically I will be eligible to apply for BOWP in March (the rule says 4 months before expiry of current WP). So my question is, will I have to wait for the new work permit to arrive or can I start working right after I apply for the BOWP?
Some background:
I was strictly advised by my representative to not continue working for a Quebec based firm as it might make my intention look weak. And to work in Ontario I needed an LMIA which was really hard to get, especially in covid times. So, because of that I have not been working since almost a year now. I really want to start working as soon as possible and right now the BOWP is my only hope. I don't want to sit and keep waiting for my PR.
Any other suggestions are welcome. Please help.
Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey everyone,
I am currently on a closed work permit issued by Quebec. But I applied for EE (CEC) last year and the decision is still pending. I am currently not working because I had to move from Quebec to Ontario to prove my intent of living and working outside Quebec. So my closed work permit expires in June 2021, but technically I will be eligible to apply for BOWP in March (the rule says 4 months before expiry of current WP). So my question is, will I have to wait for the new work permit to arrive or can I start working right after I apply for the BOWP?
Some background:
I was strictly advised by my representative to not continue working for a Quebec based firm as it might make my intention look weak. And to work in Ontario I needed an LMIA which was really hard to get, especially in covid times. So, because of that I have not been working since almost a year now. I really want to start working as soon as possible and right now the BOWP is my only hope. I don't want to sit and keep waiting for my PR.
Any other suggestions are welcome. Please help.
Thanks.
You will need to wait for the BOWP to be approved before you can start working for a new employer.

Reactions: SKeith