+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a study visa for me and a work permit for my wife. Help!

Thiago Lanes

May 4, 2017
Hi friends. I´m new here.

I´m planning do go for Canada (Winnipeg) this year with my wife and my baby. I´m going to study in a college for 2 years.

My doubts are:

- Is it simple to request theses visas by ourselves?
- I need to request a visa study for me, a work permit for her and a turism visa for my baby?
- Do our visas have the same expiration?

Do anyone knows the full steps for this?

Thanks

DanielEcu

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Quito, Ecuador
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
Doc's Request.
VAC - Upfront
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
12-04-2017
Med's Done....
17-04-2017
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
18-04-2017
LANDED..........
Will be 05-07-2017
Thiago Lanes said:
Hi friends. I´m new here.

I´m planning do go for Canada (Winnipeg) this year with my wife and my baby. I´m going to study in a college for 2 years.

My doubts are:

- Is it simple to request theses visas by ourselves?
- I need to request a visa study for me, a work permit for her and a turism visa for my baby?
- Do our visas have the same expiration?

Do anyone knows the full steps for this?

Thanks
Hello Thiago!

To answer your questions:
- It is not that simple, but you can do it by yourselves. We did it like that and it worked out. To be honest, this is the most difficult visa we have ever applied to, after having visas to US and Europe. We had to do a lot of reading and research. It will work out if you get to understand the visa officer's mind.
- You should request a student visa for you, an open work permit for your wife and a visitors visa for your baby. All of you will hold TRVs (temporarly residents visas). By the way, how old is your baby?
- All of your visas will have the same expiration date, which is 90 days after your studies finish.

On the other hand, there have been cases where the student's visa is issued, but the rest of the family get rejected. Maybe not strong cases, though...

My case: I will study 2 years in Red River College in Winnipeg, my wife has open work permit and my 6 years old son has also student visa. We have a very strong case.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

Thiago Lanes

May 4, 2017
Thanks,

We are on the same way. My baby has only 9 months, so I think he needs only de visitor visa.

I'm planning to start at RRC next January too.

DanielEcu

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Quito, Ecuador
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
Doc's Request.
VAC - Upfront
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
12-04-2017
Med's Done....
17-04-2017
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
18-04-2017
LANDED..........
Will be 05-07-2017
Thiago Lanes said:
Thanks,

We are on the same way. My baby has only 9 months, so I think he needs only de visitor visa.

I'm planning to start at RRC next January too.
Great! I will start on August. Where are you from?

Adryi284

May 6, 2017
Hello Thiago and Daniel,

I am on the same boat here. I've just applied for acceptance at The University of Manitoba but will need a work permit for my husband, and after reading Daniel's post, maybe a student visa dor my baby? She's 3 years old. Was a GIC needed as well? I've read about that account. Is it for all international students?

dzyhmantovich

May 6, 2017
DanielEcu said:
Hello Thiago!

To answer your questions:
- It is not that simple, but you can do it by yourselves. We did it like that and it worked out. To be honest, this is the most difficult visa we have ever applied to, after having visas to US and Europe. We had to do a lot of reading and research. It will work out if you get to understand the visa officer's mind.
- You should request a student visa for you, an open work permit for your wife and a visitors visa for your baby. All of you will hold TRVs (temporarly residents visas). By the way, how old is your baby?
- All of your visas will have the same expiration date, which is 90 days after your studies finish.

On the other hand, there have been cases where the student's visa is issued, but the rest of the family get rejected. Maybe not strong cases, though...

My case: I will study 2 years in Red River College in Winnipeg, my wife has open work permit and my 6 years old son has also student visa. We have a very strong case.

Feel free to ask me any questions!
Hello Daniel!

I have a similar situation with my wife at the moment, but we do not have a child. I wanted to ask you a few questions:
1. Maybe you have any idea how much money we should provide approximately?
2. We are planning to apply together. Have you applied together? If you have, have you received a response about the decision on SP and OWP at the same time? We are applying in the US and the waiting period for a SP is 5 weeks here and for an OWP 10 weeks, when should we expect to have a decision?
3. Is it necessary to provide a Police clearance and Medicals for both of us? If yes, should we do it upfront?
4. What kind of proof is necessary for a proof of marriage? Are wedding pictures necessary?

Thank you very much!

DanielEcu

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Quito, Ecuador
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
Doc's Request.
VAC - Upfront
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
12-04-2017
Med's Done....
17-04-2017
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
18-04-2017
LANDED..........
Will be 05-07-2017
Adryi284 said:
Hello Thiago and Daniel,

I am on the same boat here. I've just applied for acceptance at The University of Manitoba but will need a work permit for my husband, and after reading Daniel's post, maybe a student visa dor my baby? She's 3 years old. Was a GIC needed as well? I've read about that account. Is it for all international students?
Education is not mandatory until de age of 6 years old. So at 3 years old she will be attending a day care, if at all attending. I would suggest a visitors visa, and maybe that would be your only option... for your husband it will be an open work permit.
GIC is not necessary, I don't have one.

DanielEcu

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Quito, Ecuador
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
Doc's Request.
VAC - Upfront
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
12-04-2017
Med's Done....
17-04-2017
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
18-04-2017
LANDED..........
Will be 05-07-2017
dzyhmantovich said:
Hello Daniel!

I have a similar situation with my wife at the moment, but we do not have a child. I wanted to ask you a few questions:
1. Maybe you have any idea how much money we should provide approximately?
2. We are planning to apply together. Have you applied together? If you have, have you received a response about the decision on SP and OWP at the same time? We are applying in the US and the waiting period for a SP is 5 weeks here and for an OWP 10 weeks, when should we expect to have a decision?
3. Is it necessary to provide a Police clearance and Medicals for both of us? If yes, should we do it upfront?
4. What kind of proof is necessary for a proof of marriage? Are wedding pictures necessary?

Thank you very much!

1. You have to show 1 year's tuition fee + 10K + 4K (for spouse) + 5K just in case. So in total around CAD$20K + first year's tuition fee
2. It is adviceable to apply together. We did it like that. And our visas got stamped all together, 2 SP + 1 OPW. Since the study permit is the main application, then the waiting time should be of it, so 5 weeks in your case. Please note that it is just an estimate.
3. They are not necessary. They may ask them sometimes, but not always. Since getting the police clearance is free in my country, we showed them upfront. We waiting for instructions on the medicals because they cost a lot of money here. If you are willing to pay for the expenses anyway, it is better to show them upfront, that may speed up the process. You would need these for both of you.
4. We have a Marriage Certificate over here, given by the Civil Registration entity. That is all we showed.

Hope this helps.

Let me know anything!

Naumanaftab

May 11, 2017
Hello daniel,
I am also applying for SP and OWP for my husband and TRV for my 2 year son.please help me in some ways you seems a humble and kind man.
1:Do we all neex upfront medical exam?I have appointment for 18th May but we still not asked for appointment of my husband and son?
2:my programme is only 4 month at RRC and fee is required to pay prior to start date so how much funds would we need?
3:What home ties did you showed with what documents?
4:Could i show my fathers bank account for my expenses and my husband's account for his and our child both expenses?and should i must show mine also?
Any advice to make the case strong?