+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a Social Insurance Number Without a PR Card

4w7F

Oct 19, 2021
Hello, and thanks for reading my post.

I'm an American citizen and Canadian permanent resident currently living in Canada. My house is here, and I will live here indefinitely.

I cannot get a new PR card, and my last one expired ages ago. I have never had an SIN before. I currently have a Verification of Status from the Canadian government. As most of you know, getting an SIN requires an unexpired PR card or a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (if used within one year of landing).

I will apply for a new PR card in two years. Is there anything that I can do to get an SIN in the meantime? It would be really unpleasant to not be able to work during these two years. Has anyone here successfully obtained an SIN without having an unexpired PR card?

I've considered applying for a working holiday visa here as an American citizen so that I could get a temporary SIN, but I'm not sure if a permanent resident can also have a working holiday visa. Does anyone know if a permanent resident of Canada can have a working holiday visa concurrently?

Thank you all for your assistance, and have a good day.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

I'm an American citizen and Canadian permanent resident currently living in Canada. My house is here, and I will live here indefinitely.

I cannot get a new PR card, and my last one expired ages ago. I have never had an SIN before. I currently have a Verification of Status from the Canadian government. As most of you know, getting an SIN requires an unexpired PR card or a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (if used within one year of landing).

I will apply for a new PR card in two years. Is there anything that I can do to get an SIN in the meantime? It would be really unpleasant to not be able to work during these two years. Has anyone here successfully obtained an SIN without having an unexpired PR card?

I've considered applying for a working holiday visa here as an American citizen so that I could get a temporary SIN, but I'm not sure if a permanent resident can also have a working holiday visa. Does anyone know if a permanent resident of Canada can have a working holiday visa concurrently?

Why have you never had a SIN ?
Why can’t you get a new PR card ? Renew ?

PR aren’t eligible for a WHV

4w7F

Oct 19, 2021
Why have you never had a SIN ?
Why can’t you get a new PR card ? Renew ?

PR aren’t eligible for a WHV
Hi. Thanks for your response.

I haven't met the residency obligation. I am thinking about leaving Canada and coming back so that I can ask the border agent to permit me entry specifically on H&C grounds so that I can then go and get an SIN.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

PRs do not qualify for any temporary visas, this includes working holiday visas. You would need to renounced your PR status before you could qualify to apply for a working holiday visa.

I can't answer your question regarding the SIN.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi. Thanks for your response.

I haven't met the residency obligation. I am thinking about leaving Canada and coming back so that I can ask the border agent to permit me entry specifically on H&C grounds so that I can then go and get an SIN.
It doesn't work that way. The border agent can't help you.

You would either need to apply for your PR card renewal under H&C from within Canada.

Or if you want to do something from outside of Canada, apply for a PR Travel Document under H&C.

4w7F

Oct 19, 2021
It doesn't work that way. The border agent can't help you.

You would either need to apply for your PR card renewal under H&C from within Canada.

Or if you want to do something from outside of Canada, apply for a PR Travel Document under H&C.
Actually, I travel all the time between the USA and Canada, and when I tell the agent that I'm a PR, they always just do nothing and let me in. Petitions for staying in Canada on H&C grounds can indeed happen at the border; the border agent makes the determination.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Actually, I travel all the time between the USA and Canada, and when I tell the agent that I'm a PR, they always just do nothing and let me in. Petitions for staying in Canada on H&C grounds can indeed happen at the border; the border agent makes the determination.
From that perspective, I agree. But that's just in terms of being allowed in. There is no paperwork given. I don't see how this helps your situation in getting a SIN unless I'm missing something obvious.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

4w7F

Oct 19, 2021
From that perspective, I agree. But that's just in terms of being allowed in. There is no paperwork given. I don't see how this helps your situation in getting a SIN unless I'm missing something obvious.
You make a good point. Thanks for your response.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Do you have strong H&C reasons? Given that you could have relocated by land, you would have been out of status before Covid, etc. proving H& C can be tough for US citizens. How much time have you spent in Canada in the past 5 years? Had you spent a significant time living in canada since you got PR if it was over 5 years ago? How did you get PR? You may not have had issues yet at the US border but the more you cross the chances of getting reported increase. One day you will either get warned and flagged for not meeting your RO or reported. If people don’t meet their RO they really should be avoiding border crossings for 2 years.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
When did you become PR and how many days in Canada do you have for the last five years. I find border guards to be incredibly nonchalant towards US passport holders who present as PR (or don’t say anything), but this doesn’t necessarily translate or apply to those who are reviewing PR card renewal applications. Maximizing time in Canada prior to applying for PR card is likely best option, unless you have a really great H&C to roll the dice on.