+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a NAFTA (USMCA) Visa - Steps and Tips

SheriffWho

Jul 3, 2017
Hello Everyone!

Since I am currently awaiting my Express Entry/CEC PR to be completed, I thought I’d share my experience in landing in Canada with a Temporary Work Permit. The process was quite simple and once I had all of my documents, it took all of 30-minutes in the Vancouver airport to get a 2 year NAFTA/USMCA Work permit.

That said, my NAFTA (USMCA) Temporary work permit was for the professional category (management consultant).

Here is what you need to bring to the Point of Entry when applying at the border:
  1. Pre-Arranged Work/Job Offer from Canadian Company. It can be contractor/consultant-based (as in my case)

2. Canadian Employer will need to fill out LMIA exempt job offer in Employer Portal and pay $230 fee. Will generate an application ID that starts with "A" - You will need a copy of this Application ID/Receipt

3. USA/Mexico Passport

4. Proof of education - copies college diplomas/transcripts - this is to satisfy that you meet requirements for the type of NAFTA LMIA exempt job you are taking

5. Your Resume/CV - be sure it satisfies experience required for your NAFTA (USMCA) Visa

6. If entering Canada with a spouse (or dependents), it will make it easier to have all parties present at POE - with Passports - to facilitate their own Open Work Permits/Temporary Residency Visas.

7. Pay the $155 fee per permit/visa
TIP #1: Bring an abundance of paperwork/documents to more than satisfy all evidence.

TIP #2: If you have any doubts, hire a professional consultant/attorney who does this kind of thing.

Assuming all of your documents are in order, and they satisfy the officer’s “checklist” - you should walk out with a 1-3 year temporary work permit.

Hope that helps...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone!

Since I am currently awaiting my Express Entry/CEC PR to be completed, I thought I’d share my experience in landing in Canada with a Temporary Work Permit. The process was quite simple and once I had all of my documents, it took all of 30-minutes in the Vancouver airport to get a 2 year NAFTA/USMCA Work permit.

That said, my NAFTA (USMCA) Temporary work permit was for the professional category (management consultant).

Here is what you need to bring to the Point of Entry when applying at the border:
  1. Pre-Arranged Work/Job Offer from Canadian Company. It can be contractor/consultant-based (as in my case)

2. Canadian Employer will need to fill out LMIA exempt job offer in Employer Portal and pay $230 fee. Will generate an application ID that starts with "A" - You will need a copy of this Application ID/Receipt

3. USA/Mexico Passport

4. Proof of education - copies college diplomas/transcripts - this is to satisfy that you meet requirements for the type of NAFTA LMIA exempt job you are taking

5. Your Resume/CV - be sure it satisfies experience required for your NAFTA (USMCA) Visa

6. If entering Canada with a spouse (or dependents), it will make it easier to have all parties present at POE - with Passports - to facilitate their own Open Work Permits/Temporary Residency Visas.

7. Pay the $155 fee per permit/visa
TIP #1: Bring an abundance of paperwork/documents to more than satisfy all evidence.

TIP #2: If you have any doubts, hire a professional consultant/attorney who does this kind of thing.

Assuming all of your documents are in order, and they satisfy the officer’s “checklist” - you should walk out with a 1-3 year temporary work permit.

Hope that helps...
Just warning people that NAFTA 2 is hopefully going to be ratified soon so this may not be relevant when you are reading this.

SheriffWho

Jul 3, 2017
Toronto Star (re: NAFTA 2/USMCA):

“...no changes related to “TN” visas for professional workers. Canada had wanted the list of eligible occupations expanded, while the U.S. had wanted it reduced; they settled on leaving it the same.”

dreaz1313

Jul 25, 2020
Question, for these work permits were you arriving from the States or from another country? I'm asking because I'm not living in north america but I am american and the work permit visa application online is asking me for crazy documents like paystubs and reference letters for all of my work history but I fall under the NAFTA exempt skills category for a work permit. So i'm pretty sure i'm doing something wrong in the questionnaire but not sure what :/

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Question, for these work permits were you arriving from the States or from another country? I'm asking because I'm not living in north america but I am american and the work permit visa application online is asking me for crazy documents like paystubs and reference letters for all of my work history but I fall under the NAFTA exempt skills category for a work permit. So i'm pretty sure i'm doing something wrong in the questionnaire but not sure what :/
To the best of my knowledge you need to apply online. IRCC is not accepting applications at the POE due to COVID-19. This is one of the services that has been impacted.

dreaz1313

Jul 25, 2020
To the best of my knowledge you need to apply online. IRCC is not accepting applications at the POE due to COVID-19. This is one of the services that has been impacted.
I'm having a hard time figuring out the online application even though I thought it was supposed to be pretty straight forward. The biggest thing is the list of documents that I was told I needed from the employer that is making my move possible is not the same as a much longer list that the online system says I need. Most of which I don't have. *sigh*
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

USMCA_LLM

Aug 8, 2020
I am American and hold a L.L.M. from a New York university. It that an eligible diploma for USMCA? (appedix 1603/0/1)
In the eligible professions, the minimum education requirements and alternatives credentials does not specifically list L.L.M for Laywers