+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a LMIA work permit granted at port of entry

henryw271

Jul 11, 2021
According to the Service Canada website if I enter Canada directly from the US, I can get my work permit processed at the port of entry.But my visa agency rep says of no such thing because of COVID restrictions. Am i missing some fine print or is the visa agency rep correct. I would intend on fly into Canada directly from the US. Can anyone shed some light on this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
According to the Service Canada website if I enter Canada directly from the US, I can get my work permit processed at the port of entry.But my visa agency rep says of no such thing because of COVID restrictions. Am i missing some fine print or is the visa agency rep correct. I would intend on fly into Canada directly from the US. Can anyone shed some light on this?
What passport do you hold? If you are an American or hold a passport that is eTA eligible, then it's definitely possible.

If you need a TRV to travel to Canada, then not possible.

henryw271

Jul 11, 2021
I hold a New Zealand passport which is visa exempt for entering Canada and I have a current Canadian eTA attached to the passport.

Dmora12

Mar 12, 2021
You can do it, recently a Mexican friend actually did that. But he said you need to get a COVID test in the USA in order to be able to apply for a work permit. He applied for a work permit and México is also visa exempt

henryw271

Jul 11, 2021
Ok thanks , the visa agency rep I was dealing with seemed adamant that I had to get the processed online before travel instead of just turning up to port of entry with LMIA and job offer like I had in the past before COVID as he said the port of entry services had been shutdown for COVID. But according to the Service Canada website I can still get the permit at the port of entry as long as I enter from the US.