+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a job as a teacher

Keith2065

Jan 10, 2009
Hi folks,

My partner and I are in the early stages of considering Canada for a new home (from the UK). She is a teacher, and we have read on a couple of sites that sometimes the UK teaching qualifications are not considered transferable to allow teaching in Canada. In other words she would have to re-qualify.

Does anyone have any previous experience of this? Or know where we could find more information?

Kind Regards,

Keith

willostj

Star Member
Dec 20, 2006
Start by checking out the Ontario college of Teachers website. All the information you need is right there. Good luck!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Keith2065 said:
Hi folks,

My partner and I are in the early stages of considering Canada for a new home (from the UK). She is a teacher, and we have read on a couple of sites that sometimes the UK teaching qualifications are not considered transferable to allow teaching in Canada. In other words she would have to re-qualify.

Does anyone have any previous experience of this? Or know where we could find more information?

Kind Regards,

Keith
You know that teachers are not on the list of "38"? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2008/2008-11-28a.asp So unless your occupation is on the list you may be out of luck. The only other way is if you have worked in Canada at a skilled job for a year, or have an approved employment option (AEO) from an employer which states they will employ you after you have become a PR. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

PMM

aghijan

Star Member
Oct 16, 2007
Keith2065 said:
Hi folks,

Kind Regards,

Keith
I am a teacher but have applied in 2005. I suggest you look for a job first. Try to get a job offer otherwise is referred as AEO or LMO. LMO is for work permit purposes but AEO is for immigration purposes. Once you secured an AEO, you can apply for PR.