+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a driving licence in Toronto

jgd

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
Friends

I have an Indian driving licence from Mumbai and have been driving for few years.I will be moving to Toronto.

How do I go about getting my drivers Licence in Toronto. Should I convert my current licence to international before leaving India.

Thanks

jgd

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
jgd said:
Friends
I have an Indian driving licence from Mumbai and have been driving for few years.I will be moving to Toronto.
How do I go about getting my drivers Licence in Toronto. Should I convert my current licence to international before leaving India.
Thanks
jgd
Hi,
Get a experience letter from Mumbai RTO stating your license#, issued date and mentioning that you are driving 4 wheeler from the time this license was issued without any accidents/ tickets.
If your license is in Marathi/ any other language than in English, you will need to trans;ate it from consulate here.
Once you have this, just walk in to any drive test center and show your indian license, exp letter and they will waive off the wait period.
You can give G1 test and if you pass that, you will be eligible for G2/ G (based on your exp letter) immediately. Just do some driving classes to make sure you are comfortable and can schedule the road test.

I did the above mentioned things are got my G2 yesterday.

Cheers,
Sharat Joshi

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jgd said:
Friends

Thanks

jgd

If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver’s licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for 60 days after you move to Ontario.

Within that time period, you'll need to get an Ontario DL. Get the experience letter that Sharat mentioned so that you can avoid waiting a couple years before getting a full DL and being able to drive unaccompanied. You can start preparing for the G1 test (written) by reading the driver's manual. You'll be able to buy it at Canadian Tire, but in the meantime it's available online at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section1.1.0.shtml so you can start preparing.

Good luck!

jgd

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
Hi Sharat Joshi

Thank you so much.

The only challenge is I am in UAE now, so getting that latter from Mumbai RTO has to be planned.Do they need you to be in person or I can send someone else.

My Licence is in English was issued from Andheri RTO in 2002, so in paper booklet form.Should I try converting to the smart card format now?

How long does it take to get that letter?

Thanks

jgd

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
jgd said:
Hi Sharat Joshi

Thank you so much.

The only challenge is I am in UAE now, so getting that latter from Mumbai RTO has to be planned.Do they need you to be in person or I can send someone else.

My Licence is in English was issued from Andheri RTO in 2002, so in paper booklet form.Should I try converting to the smart card format now?

How long does it take to get that letter?

Thanks

jgd
Hi jgd,
in India anything is possible. Just find a agent in Andheri RTo and send your license to your family there.
Agent will himself do all the work and get the letter from RTO.
I did the same. I was in Canada and got the letter from Bangalore RTO.
All the letter should say is that your licence was issues from them on the date and you are driving car without any accidents. And this letter si needed for producing in Canada.

Once you get this, it should be cool. Also, ask the agent to get the license with smart card. All the process should not take more than 4-6 weeks if the agent is resourceful.

Cheers,
Sharat Joshi

Reactions: Tamgole