+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a drivers license in BC

redhotgalego

Star Member
Aug 20, 2015
Hello all, I just have a quick couple of questions that I couldn´t find answers for in the official websites.

What happens after the 90 days grace period to switch from a foreign to a Canadian (BC) drivers license? Do you just lose the ability to drive legally in BC or does it mean you must start the process of getting a drivers license from scratch like a teenager? Also, do they count the 90 days from the moment you become a PR or from the moment you get a BC card?

Assuming it´s the worst case scenario and after 90 days you have to start from scratch, what happens if you start the process before 90 days (prove you have a foreign drivers license) but finish the road test after the 90 days?

Thanks!

redhotgalego

Star Member
Aug 20, 2015
I read it as 90 days from the date you take up actual residence in BC. Are you from a country that has a reciprocal agreement for a licence exchange and can prove your driving history which would generally not require a road test ?

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx
No, I would have to prove my history and still take the test, but would skip the two years "probation" for a full license. My question is what happens after those 90 days since that's also the period you can drive with a foreign license.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
My question is what happens after those 90 days since that's also the period you can drive with a foreign license.
New Resident in B.C. — If you hold a valid driver's licence issued outside B.C., you may continue to drive using that licence for a maximum of 90 days. After moving to B.C., it is best to apply for a B.C. driver’s licence as soon as possible to give you enough time to meet any application requirements. After 90 days, the out-of-province driver’s licence you hold will no longer be permitted. Go to Insurance Corporation of BC – www.icbc.com – for information on driver’s licences.

The consequences of driving without a valid driver’s licence are severe in this province. As a deterrent to individuals who continue to drive illegally, the consequences ramp up.

1st time – The first time police find you driving unlicensed, you will receive a violation ticket for driving without a valid driver’s licence. You will not be permitted to drive the vehicle any further on the road.

2nd time – When found a second time driving without a valid driver's licence, the notice on your driving record will inform the police that you have a previous 'No Driver’s Licence' conviction and state they will immediately impound the vehicle you are driving for seven days, whether it is owned by you or not. You will immediately be prohibited from driving. The driving prohibition period is indefinite – it will continue until you get a valid B.C. driver’s licence, meeting all other licensing requirements you may have had placed on you, such as paying any and all outstanding traffic fines.

Subsequently: If you continue to operate a motor vehicle after being prohibited from driving, you will be charged with ‘Driving While Prohibited’ which is punishable by a $500 fine and up to six months in jail for a first offence.

redhotgalego

Star Member
Aug 20, 2015
New Resident in B.C. — If you hold a valid driver's licence issued outside B.C., you may continue to drive using that licence for a maximum of 90 days. After moving to B.C., it is best to apply for a B.C. driver’s licence as soon as possible to give you enough time to meet any application requirements. After 90 days, the out-of-province driver’s licence you hold will no longer be permitted. Go to Insurance Corporation of BC – www.icbc.com – for information on driver’s licences.

The consequences of driving without a valid driver’s licence are severe in this province. As a deterrent to individuals who continue to drive illegally, the consequences ramp up.

1st time – The first time police find you driving unlicensed, you will receive a violation ticket for driving without a valid driver’s licence. You will not be permitted to drive the vehicle any further on the road.

2nd time – When found a second time driving without a valid driver's licence, the notice on your driving record will inform the police that you have a previous 'No Driver’s Licence' conviction and state they will immediately impound the vehicle you are driving for seven days, whether it is owned by you or not. You will immediately be prohibited from driving. The driving prohibition period is indefinite – it will continue until you get a valid B.C. driver’s licence, meeting all other licensing requirements you may have had placed on you, such as paying any and all outstanding traffic fines.

Subsequently: If you continue to operate a motor vehicle after being prohibited from driving, you will be charged with ‘Driving While Prohibited’ which is punishable by a $500 fine and up to six months in jail for a first offence.
Thanks, I get that, I do not intend to drive without a BC license. My question is more regarding whether or not I must get a BC license now to be able to benefit from transferring my foreign one and its years of experience or it doesn't matter when I do it as long as I don't drive in the meantime.

snowflayc

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Thanks, I get that, I do not intend to drive without a BC license. My question is more regarding whether or not I must get a BC license now to be able to benefit from transferring my foreign one and its years of experience or it doesn't matter when I do it as long as I don't drive in the meantime.
Best is to go and ask in person the agent in ICBC office. I would sign up for the knowledge test, pass it (you can prepare for it day or two before, its really straight forward, download their app and practice until you have 95% for like 5 times in a row, then you are good to go).

Then whenever you would have time just sign up for the driving test and do it. If you wont do it in 3months / or not pass the test, they will still issue "novices driver license" for you to be able to drive with a SUPERVISOR.

As I said, best is to ask in person in the office. My 2 cents, dont leave it for later, you still want to get it, so why wait.

Jan 19, 2019
Kelowna bc Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Very severe if you break driving laws in bc .Its almost crazy with what they will do to you .My wife did what you want to do.get it done before the 90 days and you wont have to start from scratch