+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gettin New SIN Number

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Guys whoever applied SIN online.. how did you scan your PR cards? was it in one side per page with two page PDF or both sides could be in one page with front and back below each other?

cdsoso

Oct 24, 2019
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
AOR Received.
18-10-2019
File Transfer...
01-13-2020
Hi Guys. I applied for my new SIN online on June 15th and received it in the mail today. I just informed financial institutions and my employer of my new SIN.

My question is, do I need to reapply health card and driver's license as a permanent resident? My old status is a work permit holder. The health card and DL are still valid but the health card has an expiration date which is the last date of my work permit. I assume I can still use them until they expire, and renew as a permanent resident until then, correct? Thanks to anyone who can share their experience with a similar situation.

Also, do I need to inform anyone else other than my employer and banks (financial institutions)?

rex230

Dec 9, 2019
Eshwarkp79, inlandapplicant, vermas Could you please share what kind of address proof you used?

I just received a rejection letter for below documents
1) COPR
2) Passport(Front+Back)
3) rent agreement of my friend.

one of the forum members in other thread received his SIN with his friend's hydro bill.( not on his name) . Wondering what went wrong in my case.

I currently live in month-to-month extended stay apartment. What are my options ? haven't stepped out to get a bank account since I am in Quarantine still.

desi_me_rollin

Jun 1, 2017
Eshwarkp79, inlandapplicant, vermas Could you please share what kind of address proof you used?

1) COPR
2) Passport(Front+Back)

one of the forum members in other thread received his SIN with his friend's hydro bill.( not on his name) . Wondering what went wrong in my case.

I currently live in month-to-month extended stay apartment. What are my options ? haven't stepped out to get a bank account since I am in Quarantine still.
I am going to wait till I am out of the quarantine and try. The border agent did say that I could do it online but I guess from all these posts that it is not really easy.

Soph971

Mar 28, 2020

1) COPR
2) Passport(Front+Back)

We did our bank registration on day one after the 14 days quarantine ended and we used one of the numerous paper work they provided us that included our name and address and Bank name as a proof of address for the SIN application. It took us between 15 and 20 days for us to receive the SIN letter (at the end of May). To register to the bank I showed the receipt of the air b and b where we were staying that confirmed the address. I managed to find that receipt in my emails while at the bank. I showed them the receipt through my phone. The bank did not take any copies but still needed to verify this to open an account for us. So, be ready to also have a proof of address with you when you register with the Bank they will not be able to open an account for you if you cannot reassure them that you do have a physical address. Then once your bank account is set up you can use your bank documents as a more official proof of address :)

As an alternative option you can also register for a Canadian mobile line. Then use the sim card payment bill as proof of address for the SIN application. I think some in the chain did try this approach but I did not keep track over wether they did receive their SIN number in the end. The thing that I know is that you can apply for some mobile line online and they will post you your SIM card (Fizz is an exemple). You can pay for your Sim card with a non Canadian credit card ...however this is not a pay as you go line so once you receive the card and want to activate it you will need to set up a pre-authorised payment with FIZZ to pay your monthly bills...I think you can only do that last activation step with a Canadian card...

Reactions: icanh and rex230

rex230

Dec 9, 2019
We did our bank registration on day one after the 14 days quarantine ended and we used one of the numerous paper work they provided us that included our name and address and Bank name as a proof of address for the SIN application. It took us between 15 and 20 days for us to receive the SIN letter (at the end of May). To register to the bank I showed the receipt of the air b and b where we were staying that confirmed the address. I managed to find that receipt in my emails while at the bank. I showed them the receipt through my phone. The bank did not take any copies but still needed to verify this to open an account for us. So, be ready to also have a proof of address with you when you register with the Bank they will not be able to open an account for you if you cannot reassure them that you do have a physical address. Then once your bank account is set up you can use your bank documents as a more official proof of address :)

As an alternative option you can also register for a Canadian mobile line. Then use the sim card payment bill as proof of address for the SIN application. I think some in the chain did try this approach but I did not keep track over wether they did receive their SIN number in the end. The thing that I know is that you can apply for some mobile line online and they will post you your SIM card (Fizz is an exemple). You can pay for your Sim card with a non Canadian credit card ...however this is not a pay as you go line so once you receive the card and want to activate it you will need to set up a pre-authorised payment with FIZZ to pay your monthly bills...I think you can only do that last activation step with a Canadian card...
Thank you for detailed reply. i'll try with bank documents post quarantine.

Nd_Pop128

Jun 24, 2020

Hello, if you used your Confirmation of Permanent Residence as your primary document did you also add any supporting identity document as part of the primary document?

I uploaded and shared my COPR only as a primary document, passport as secondary and Canadian bank statement as proof of address yet i've been told that if i applied online i needed to add another id document such as a Canadian Driver's License or Canadian Health Card to accompany my primary document. I informed that I've shared my passport already and inquired if it could serve as an accompanying id doc for the primary doc and also serve as a separate secondary doc. I was informed that it wouldn't work and that I have to submit my application again with an extra id document such as a Canadian Driver's License or Canadian Health Card to support my primary document while I use my passport as a secondary document only if I apply online.

They've told me that I can still apply for SIN with the documents that I currently have but would have to do it through mail. It is going to take much longer now and my potential employer has given me a short window to share SIN info with them but I think i shouldn't wait and send the docs through mail.

A little more clarity on their website would've made information about these minute details simpler I think!

Reactions: rex230

Wallyb

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hi Guys. I applied for my new SIN online on June 15th and received it in the mail today. I just informed financial institutions and my employer of my new SIN.

My question is, do I need to reapply health card and driver's license as a permanent resident? My old status is a work permit holder. The health card and DL are still valid but the health card has an expiration date which is the last date of my work permit. I assume I can still use them until they expire, and renew as a permanent resident until then, correct? Thanks to anyone who can share their experience with a similar situation.

Also, do I need to inform anyone else other than my employer and banks (financial institutions)?
I believe your DL should be okay but I think its best to reapply for your health card, since your status is no longer that of a worker. I know in BC, they do tell us to inform them of status changes b’c it does affect whether or not you are charged a monthly fee.

Imjennah

Star Member
Feb 17, 2019
Hello Everyone!

I applied online for new SIN on June 2nd, 2020
The letter for SIN was issued June 16th and I just received it in the mail yesterday!

rex230

Dec 9, 2019
Hello Everyone!

I applied online for new SIN on June 2nd, 2020
The letter for SIN was issued June 16th and I just received it in the mail yesterday!
Congratulations !

Could you please share which documents that you used for applying ?

Last edited:

Imjennah

Star Member
Feb 17, 2019
Congratulations !

Could you please share which documents that you used for applying ?
Of course:
Primary ID doc: COPR and Passport Photo
Secondary: California Driver's License
Proof of Address: One Credit Card Statement from my bank

Hope this helps you!

Reactions: rex230

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
Of course:
Primary ID doc: COPR and Passport Photo
Secondary: California Driver's License
Proof of Address: One Credit Card Statement from my bank

Hope this helps you!
Quick question: When filling online there is a question which says "Do you reside in Canada". Which option did you choose Yes/No? I am currently in Canada in quarantine and I selected "Yes" but I heard if I select Yes then I need to give Canada address proof which I don't have right now so I gave US address proof just like you did.

Imjennah

Star Member
Feb 17, 2019
Quick question: When filling online there is a question which says "Do you reside in Canada". Which option did you choose Yes/No? I am currently in Canada in quarantine and I selected "Yes" but I heard if I select Yes then I need to give Canada address proof which I don't have right now so I gave US address proof just like you did.
Oh my proof of address was Canadian, I put "Yes" because I was on a student visa living with my husband in Canada so I was able to open a Canadian bank account to get credit card statements that show our home address here