+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gettin New SIN Number

knmacneil

Aug 19, 2019
Update!

So after receiving a very confusing letter (see previous posts), I actually received my SIN on Thursday.

Timeline:
April 3rd - Passport with COPR, application, letter of urgency, and pre-paid express return shipping mailed via Canada Post
April 8th - Application received in NB
April 13th - confusing letter mailed by SIN office
April 21st - confusing letter received by yours truly
April 23rd - SIN received in the mail, along with passport

Unless you paid for express shipping, it most likely will take a while for them to receive your application. The postal service is very delayed at this point.

I hope this helps anyone waiting. And yes, they do hold on to your materials until they issue the SIN. It's very nerve-wracking.

Reactions: Icke and Skp1310

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
My partner and I applied within seconds between each other, yet we had a difference of 350. Its in higher 26** series
I don't believe that many people applying online (or even in Mail). Almost everyone who landed before March had a SIN. Don't think thousands of people applied on mail and online within a few days. Its just SC processing it with not a high priority.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
My partner and I applied within seconds between each other, yet we had a difference of 350. Its in higher 26** series
I don't believe that many people applying online (or even in Mail). Almost everyone who landed before March had a SIN. Don't think thousands of people applied on mail and online within a few days. Its just SC processing it with not a high priority.
I applied on april 6th in the morning and the series were 1800 and in the evening i applied for the family member and the series was 3500

As all service canada offices are shutdown thats why people used online option. When there was overload of applications they shut down online applications

haileydee

Jun 15, 2019
Similar timeline to yours:

April 3rd - Passport with COPR, application, letter of urgency, and pre-paid express return shipping mailed via Canada Post
April 20th - Requested call back service to find out status of application
April 23rd - Received call from SIN office, no useful information was given, just asked me to wait that my docs and SIN would be sent back within 20 business days.
April 24th - SIN received in the mail, along with passport in Calgary, AB

Update!

So after receiving a very confusing letter (see previous posts), I actually received my SIN on Thursday.

Timeline:
April 13th - confusing letter mailed by SIN office
April 21st - confusing letter received by yours truly
April 23rd - SIN received in the mail, along with passport

Unless you paid for express shipping, it most likely will take a while for them to receive your application. The postal service is very delayed at this point.

I hope this helps anyone waiting. And yes, they do hold on to your materials until they issue the SIN. It's very nerve-wracking.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Does anyone who has applied where any of your parents did not have a family name (surname) and was successfully able to get the sin card. If yes, what did you enter as the surname in the application?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I applied on april 6th in the morning and the series were 1800 and in the evening i applied for the family member and the series was 3500

As all service canada offices are shutdown thats why people used online option. When there was overload of applications they shut down online applications
1. You realize of course that SIN are not issued in sequence, that there is a check no. so it can be checked to ensure they are authentic, Also each province has a different staring no. i.e. BC is 7, Prairies 6

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Hi

1. You realize of course that SIN are not issued in sequence, that there is a check no. so it can be checked to ensure they are authentic, Also each province has a different staring no. i.e. BC is 7, Prairies 6
That's correct.

I am also surprised to see that there were already 1600 people who have applied between morning( i applied) till evening (my family member applied) on April 6th

cloudybw

Apr 15, 2020
Online application is alive again.

Has anyone applied online between 4/6 to 4/9 received the SIN letter? If so, what is the timeline?