+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get PR from Express Entry - work remotely for US job?

zeldmac

Jul 3, 2019
Hi!

I am starting the process for my family to immigrate to Canada as PR's under the Federal Skilled Worker Express Entry Program. I currently work remotely as a salaried employee for an American university. How quickly (or if at all) do I have to quit my US job once I get my PR and live in Canada? I am currently NOT an independent contractor.

Thank you!
Andrea

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!

I am starting the process for my family to immigrate to Canada as PR's under the Federal Skilled Worker Express Entry Program. I currently work remotely as a salaried employee for an American university. How quickly (or if at all) do I have to quit my US job once I get my PR and live in Canada? I am currently NOT an independent contractor.

Thank you!
Andrea
No need to quit at all. You can continue working remotely for them once you move here.

zeldmac

Jul 3, 2019
No need to quit at all. You can continue working remotely for them once you move here.
Wow, really? Thank you! I feel like every time I research this they say that the US Company needs to do some sort of thing where they go through a Canadian intermediary, so that I get paid in Canadian dollars and that my employer will have issues on their end if I have a Canadian address. Though would I just also maintain a US address to work around this?

I know that there is a tax agreement between the two countries....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wow, really? Thank you! I feel like every time I research this they say that the US Company needs to do some sort of thing where they go through a Canadian intermediary, so that I get paid in Canadian dollars and that my employer will have issues on their end if I have a Canadian address. Though would I just also maintain a US address to work around this?

I know that there is a tax agreement between the two countries....
I've only answered your question from a Canadian immigration perspective. From a Canadian immigration perspective, you can work remotely. No issues there provided you declare your worldwide income in your Canadian tax return.

In terms of any US laws and whether your US employer will allow this arrangement, that's a different matter that you will need to research / take up with them.

zeldmac

Jul 3, 2019
Yes, thank you! I understand. This is really helpful. I did not know it was even legal from the Canadian perspective either!