+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get home country passport back after becoming PR

Zai24

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
If we have Refugee Travel document can we still ask our country passport back and can travel on that?

sherryl89

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
I don’t understand why people want their passport back. It can risk their status if they use or even renew it. I can’t think about any reason why request back from CBSA.
I do not expect you to understand, you are currently coping with life, sadly.

Cayman

Dec 12, 2021
Thanks for your reply. You are right, I‘m coping with life just like everyone else who came to Canada as a refugee, because everything‘s new for us. I think the fact that I followed the laws shows that everything has gone smoothly so far. This included the fact that I did not ask for my passport back, but used a travel document, as this law applies to refugees. It is enough to catch a grumpy cbsa officer once for someone traveling with their passport and they can lose their status. This was meant to be good advice so that no one makes a mistake. Hope you understand. Have a good life.

Shiny12

Star Member
Apr 19, 2023
Thanks for your reply. You are right, I‘m coping with life just like everyone else who came to Canada as a refugee, because everything‘s new for us. I think the fact that I followed the laws shows that everything has gone smoothly so far. This included the fact that I did not ask for my passport back, but used a travel document, as this law applies to refugees. It is enough to catch a grumpy cbsa officer once for someone traveling with their passport and they can lose their status. This was meant to be good advice so that no one makes a mistake. Hope you understand. Have a good life.
Agree with respect. Everyone should respect the country laws as long as we agreed to live here peacefully.

Reactions: Cayman

JasonReyes

Jun 19, 2023
Hello everyone.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the PR approval letter? Do they send it by email or mail? My application status changed to decision made 2 days ago, but I haven't gotten any emails or information about it.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Stop acting like you’re the God damn Mother Teresa on the subject and become familiar with the law . Back your attempts at being witty, with references

https://irb.gc.ca/en/legal-policy/legal-concepts/Pages/RefDef12.aspx

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/vacation.html

“A person can cease to hold their refugee status [A108] if, for example, they voluntarily reavail themselves of the protection of their country of nationality or obtain protection from another country (citizenship).”

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/it-s-not-a-fair-law-iranian-refugee-from-north-york-facing-deportation-fears-persecution-1.6416588?cache=yesclipId10406200text/html;charset=utf-80404/7.578962/7.632243/7.645993&referrer=https://www.google.ca/

https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/immigration/2015/02/23/former-refugees-face-losing-residency-in-canada-if-they-return-to-homeland.html

Using one’s passport of the country they’ve sought refuge from is voluntarily reavailing themselves of their country of nationality . This isn’t a game

Jesus H Christ

Last edited:
Reactions: Simba112 and Cayman

JasonReyes

Jun 19, 2023
Does anyone know how long it takes for the IRCC account to update after a decision is made on ECAS?

I am an inland applicant under the protected person class.

If anyone has experience, please reply to my post. Thanks.

Laura Gamal

Feb 5, 2024
As per my knowledge, Refugee claimants (those who applied inside Canada) don't need a reason to ask for their passports to be returned. You can ask/apply for return of your passport as soon as you get your confirmation of PR (CoPR) and your new SIN is issued.

here is how you get your passport returned:
1. Visit the office where your application was first filed when you applied for refugee protection. They have posted instructions on the door or within the offices on how you can request your passport. Its pretty straight forward. Take a picture of the instructions and action exactly as required.
2. After writing an email to the address provided in the instructions, wait for their response. for me it took 2 weeks to hear back

This is the format of the letter (you can amend as you see fit)
///////
Name:
UCI number:
Contact/cellphone:
Email:
Physical Address:

DATE

IRCC OFFICE ADDRESS (where your passport was surrendered)

REQUEST FOR RETURNING OF SEIZED PASSPORT
I am writing this letter to request the return of my passport which was seized on DATE when I claimed refugee status.
I have been granted permanent resident status effective DATE.

Seized item(s): lastname, firstname, Passport of COUNTRY, Document No. xxxxxx. UCI xxxxxxxx

Best regards
/////////

3. CBSA will contact you and let you know the address to pick the documents and their office hours (usually the same office where you applied)
4. you go there during their office hours, sign a document release form, and you will have the documents back. They were very polite when I visited.

Good luck
can you please update me with the email address or the mailing address to request it in ontario?

Catch

Mar 11, 2024
Hello , is it here anyone who already get their passport back after all that information in a top? I have my PR and travel document but I want to travel .Now as I can see this is dangerous because I might lose my status...
Here is a lot of conversation but I didnt see anyone who can say 'Yes , you can contact "link/email/cont number' ,this is working , I get it back and havent lost my status'
Or maybe someone has heard about some updates, how and where is the best way to get all the information or to talk about all of this.
Thank you !!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone I have Question im protected person in canada Can i Get back my home country passport? Do you have any idea
No. You need to wait until you are a PR.

Umar bhalli

Apr 7, 2024
In December 2023 i give Biomatric. for P.R but after no more update Email Yet When my p.r proved any one know how much take more time because right now 4 monthes ago

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In December 2023 i give Biomatric. for P.R but after no more update Email Yet When my p.r proved any one know how much take more time because right now 4 monthes ago
Keep in mind that even once you are a PR and can get your home country passport back, you should not be using it to travel.

Reactions: itzdrmac

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
I know even i have P.r then i can travel for 3rd save country for Marriage
Three actions are known to trigger a cessation referral:

1. Traveling to your country of nationality, against which you claimed persecution
2. Traveling using a passport from your country of nationality
3. Renewing the passport from your country of nationality

Reactions: scylla